New Roxy Music boxes of 1st 2 albums coming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

"extra Eno ingredients and stuff" - Most excellent!!

IMO, the only 2 Roxy albums you need. If these are done well I will be down for sure.

Former Scientist likes this.
  3. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

My favourite Roxy albums, and the best of their catalogue until Avalon.

Quirky as hell. Hope the folks behind this project pay attention to quality control.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'll be curious to see what kinds of extras they scare up here, particularly with For Your Pleasure, which is their greatest accomplishment in my book. I wonder if we'll see more live material here.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

If they take as much care as they did with the Complete Studio Recordings 1972-82 box set, then it should be brilliant.

6. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

John Peel session to be included with the first album? Can't imagine Manzanera being 'very excited' about that, though.

7. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I would be! Roxy played a number of BBC sessions in 1972/73 - enough for a double CD bootleg that's been doing the rounds for some time. And the musicianship is superb. The version of "If There Is Something" from the July 1972 session is astounding! And there's one session that pre-dates Manzanera's involvement, when Davy O'List was still the guitar player. A good quality release of this material is long overdue.

8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I'm in for any and all of these that they do, so long as the incoming reviews here garner two thumbs up from Siskel and Ebert. Hopefully to include 5.1 and tons o' Peel Sessions/other live recordings.

9. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Uncut magazine invites readers to submit their questions for Roxy's Phil Manzanera and in the blurb they state this -
    With a new solo album and a Roxy Music box set coming in March, Phil Manzanera is set to answer your questions in Uncut as part of our regular An Audience With… feature.
    http://www.uncut.co.uk/roxy-music/ask-phil-manzanera-news

What's this Roxy Music Box Set then? Is this the repackaged and enlarged first album and For Your Pleasure? Or something else?

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

From Steven Wilson's new year's message:

11. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Curious to see what he does with Simple Minds....

onionmaster likes this.
  12. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

It's probably the 5.1 mix that's on the forthcoming 'Sparkle...' boxset.

13. Badnruin

Badnruin Forum Resident

I got a newsletter from Acoustic Sounds advertising a Roxy Music vinyl box coming in March. It had the same packaging as the Complete Recordings cd box but I haven't been able to find any further info. Very intriguing

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

BeardedSteven likes this.
  15. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

They're getting like Abba and Queen for endless repackaging of the same material. The SACDs are definitely going to be it for me, and possibly the deluxes of the first two albums, so long as they're not packed out with live stuff.

16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i don't have these on CD......(have the vinyl) so i can see picking these up.........roxy music one of the great undervalued bands........

jon9091 likes this.
  17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Looking forward to these. Hope they get to do Country Life also.

18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

those folks who think that only the eno roxy albums are good are way off base.......i would say all of their albums are at least 4 stars(out of 5) except maybe flesh and blood......i really like manifesto....it has some very cool things going on.

19. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Awesome. Their two best in my opinion. I'm hoping the vinyl is included in these deluxe sets.

20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Undervalued ?? No offence but where are they undervalued.. on the moon??

They were hugely successful in the 1970s/80s. Even their very first "experimental-ish" releases were big big sellers, giving them hits and multiple high-profile TV appearances across Europe. Multiple big hit singles throughout the 70s, even when an album dipped a bit, its single was still hugely successful (see Angel Eyes and Love is the Drug). Later still, Avalon was and is one of the biggest and most famous British albums of all time. Their best work continues to grow in stature as time has passed. Ferry is regarded as a top-tier frontman/songwriter/singer of the last 40 years, close to being up there with Bowie, Jagger, Mercury etc. Eno is widely regarded as possibly the single most influential figure to emerge from rock music since The Velvet Underground. Roxy's back catalogue has been repackaged and reissued countless times, and has never been out of print since they started in 1972. They partially reformed and played stadiums..

etc etc. That really isn't undervalued, by any stretch of the imagination! :)

21. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

They were (are) big in Europe, but I have never heard much about Roxy Music here in North America.

22. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Maybe not stadium show huge but Roxy never had any problems selling out shows at places like Massey Hall (where I saw them) so they definitely were doing pretty well.

23. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

So do I hold off on the SHM-SACD's?????

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I know what you mean, & there's always going to be territorial variations, but they're not an undervalued band. They and at least two of its former members are amongst the most successful, acclaimed and well-known artists in the world. It doesn't really matter and I'm not knocking our friend above, I'm just saying.

25. Did you live in Akron?

BeardedSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.