New Roxy Music boxes of 1st 2 albums coming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

At last !!! Let the boxes come and please all of the albums.

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes!

Or maybe "No".

The answer seems pretty obvious, but YMMV.

3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

oh you are talking to the choir.....i just don't think they show up on best bands of all time type lists.....especially here in the states.......i cherish my roxy music/ferry/eno records and cd's for sure and they are one of my faves and put on two of the best shows i have ever seen.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I meant they are not as well remember today in America as they are in Europe. Of course they were popular at the time (although still more popular in Europe obviously).

5. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

jon9091 likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Don't forget Stranded, another outstanding early effort from the band. I'd love to hear all of their stuff in 5.1.

gilbert green likes this.
  7. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I really hope it is not and they make the vinyl available separately so that these re-issues do not get ridiculous price tags for people who want just a BluRay or DVD-A with the 5.1 mix.

Tristero and jl151080 like this.
  8. Zach Johnson

Well maybe there could be multiple versions...Deluxe with the Blu-Ray/DVD and Super Deluxe with the vinyl.

mestreech likes this.
  9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I first started seeing Roxy around the time of Country Life. Saw great shows for Country Life, Siren, Manifesto, and Avalon. And the reunion. There was a Bryan Ferry show in the mix also.

Looking forward to these. Steve Wilson is "the man".

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm also intrigued by the complete albums box but finding precious little about it. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on that one as far as pressing and master quality. People seemed quite happy with the CD box but are these just done from a CD master? Hard to say. How would the deluxe boxes of the first two be different/better?

11. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

For this year’s Record Store Day, Roxy Music are releasing a limited edition, double-A-sided 10″ single of ‘Ladytron’ b/w ‘The Numberer’.
    In anticipation of a comprehensive Roxy Music catalogue release programme beginning later this year, Virgin/EMI are delighted to offer the previously unheard full-length version of ‘Ladytron,’ the original of which is on the band’s era-defining eponymous debut album. Three minutes longer than what was released in 1972, this contains the original introduction and the improvised fade out. The B-side is the ‘Virginia Plain’ flipside ‘The Numberer.’ Both are given a 2015 remix by Steven Wilson.

‘Ladytron’ / ‘The Numberer’ will only be available to buy from high street record stores from Saturday April 18th 2015. For more information about Record Store Day 2015 visit www.recordstoreday.co.uk

http://www.bryanferry.com/roxy-music-ladytron-10-inch-for-record-store-day/

Come on! i want to be able to buy this at least on iTunes too. Only available if you find and buy that rare vinyl, these are not the 70's, just stupid. :cussing:

Timjosephuk and Galeans like this.
  12. Zach Johnson

I guess Steven Wilson will be working on the box set?

13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, it'll probably be on these anticipated deluxe versions.

14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

From Steven Wilson's new Facebook page dedicated to his remix projects:

One remix project completed some time ago which is planned for issue later this year, is the classic 1972 debut album by Roxy Music. To preview a deluxe set, Universal Music Group recently released 2 of the tracks on 10 inch vinyl for Record Store Day.
    Included were my mixes of a previously unheard full length version of Ladytron (running about 3 minutes longer than the original version) and The Numberer, which was the original B-side to Virginia Plain. The whole album and the A+B sides of the single will also be included on the deluxe edition mixed into 5.1 surround sound.
    I always prefer to work closely with the artist on these projects, and in this case it was the band’s original guitar player
    Phil Manzanera who oversaw and approved the remixes.

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes

Simon A, Jerry James and ledsox like this.
  15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Great news but it would have been even better if he had mentioned the second album too....

Tristero likes this.
  16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I initially bought these first two albums on cassette from a cutout bin back in the 90s. I played them and they really didn't do anything for me at the time. I recently found the HDCD versions of these two albums used for $2 each. I like For Your Pleasure the best. This is all I need by them.

17. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

The previously unheard full-length version of ‘Ladytron,’ the original of which is on the band’s era-defining eponymous debut album. Three minutes longer than the version released in 1972, this contains the original introduction and the improvised fade out. The B-side is the ‘Virginia Plain’ flipside ‘The Numberer.’ Both are given a 2015 remix by Steven Wilson.

jon9091 likes this.
  18. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

The B-side of the Ladytron 10" Vinyl Record Store Day release is the ‘Virginia Plain’ flipside ‘The Numberer.’ Both are given a 2015 remix by Steven Wilson.

19. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Release date please ...soon? Anyone have an inside scoop?

20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

They're definitely appreciated more by those "in the know" here in the US (at least among my generation in the Midwest). They aren't even on the radar of the typical Zep/Floyd classic rockers, which is a damn shame...but then again there has to be something to discover as one grows older.

21. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

It's very very quit on these releases. I have the 10" RDS release so I'm confident they will come out. But when?????

22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

That's what I would like to know as well.

23. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

It appears the first album won't be out until 2016 now if they are talking about a set with the 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson - he recently commented on it a couple times over at the QQ forum:
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...Phil-Manzanera&p=257154&viewfull=1#post257154
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...Phil-Manzanera&p=257488&viewfull=1#post257488

Also of interest from that is that so far he's only done a mix for the first album and not been asked (yet) for another, though he wants to do them.

24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I was just thinking that the swirling beginning of Sentimental Fool could be incredible in Mr. Wilson's hands.

Tristero, Galeans and Judge Judy like this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Really??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.