New RP3 - noises galore. Help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

By the importer I presume not the Rega factory? I don't think they do refurbs anyway. It appears someone botched the arm wiring and the problem I and others suggested is not easy to fix without tools and experience. You might be better advised to exchange for a new P3 which I certainly can recommend.

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Oh, I see now, I thought it was a 2-point protractor, but Rega uses a single point and effectively fixes the offset angle for their chosen alignment with the tonearm shape, so you are really only adjusting overhang with the protractor, while keeping the cartridge body aligned in the headshell.

Nevermind, one of theses days I will learn to not comment in threads if I have no experience with the topic :)

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Make sure you/the dealer test the new one before you drive home.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

As I mentioned in a previous post, the dealer will be getting another tonearm and have it installed/tested before it is sent to me. So we won't get a P3 but rather stick with the RP3 with a functioning tonearm. The amount of money he saved was not unsubstantial hence why he'd rather get it fixed if possible.

If it becomes more trouble than it's worth, I'll return it and get something else. This is our first experience with Rega turntables so I'll reserve judgment but I did read a thread from another member who eventually had to return the Rega in favor of another brand after exchanging it twice as he couldn't get silent playback. He was happy once he did the change, though.

Ironically, even though it's a 1h drive each way, I'll have to send it back. It's no real problem as they'll provide me with a prepaid label. They've been taking ownership of the issue so I hope to have a pleasant conclusion to this soon.

My FIL is quite excited about getting back into vinyl and was a bit disappointed that he'll have to wait a little longer.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

A word on the protractor. It just seems like a generic one, now that I look at it once more. There's no Rega logo anywhere and it just says "Cartridge Alignment Protractor" on it.

I'll print one of the protractors linked to earlier in the thread, ensure it's printed at the proper scale and I no doubt believe things will look more normal by the time I'm done.

6. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Not sure if the Apheta is like the other Rega carts in that it has 3 mounting holes which are designed to be used with the Rega arm. But if so, you could forego any alignment procedure altogether and simply use the 3 mounting holes (forcing a single position) and be happy with it.

7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Pretty sure the OP is using an Ortofon 2m Blue on his table.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, I think @tiller is inadvertently crossing over to the other current Rega thread with the RP8 problems :)

9. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

That cart is set way too far back no way is it correct.

10. Strat-Mangler

Thank you but read the thread. That has already been established.

11. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Ooops! Right you are. Crossing my wires here. Please ignore previous comment re: Atheta.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Listen to Bill. He knows his stuff!

HiFi Guy and Manimal like this.
  13. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Just clicked on the video noticed and commented, sorry I didn't think it was mandatory that I read the entire thread before posting next time save the snarky comment ......

14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Well, it IS considered proper forum etiquette to at least understand what's going on in a thread before taking up everyone's time with redundant or uniformed comments.

15. Strat-Mangler

I merely gently let you know this had been addressed before. It's a shame you interpreted that as an attack.

16. Strat-Mangler

Was about to drop it at UPS when I heard back from the owner with whom I had been in contact about the possibility of swinging by to have it repaired or exchanged right then and there. He confirmed he could spare a tech to do this for me so I drove 1.5h each way to have it repaired. Hope my FIL appreciates this! I'm beat!

The tech said it was indeed an issue with the internal cabling of the tonearm. He said just one was plugged in and they needed some cleaning but 1h later, he was done and told me it works like a charm! Glad I let a pro take care of that issue. He also told me he had never seen anything like this before which leads me to believe it's a one-off.

I'll spend some time tomorrow testing it out and making the necessary tweaks and then bring it over to him tomorrow as a surprise. I'm sure he'll be very happy.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Sounds great. That's awesome they were able to fix it on the spot.

I'm sure you'll make his day too. :righton:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

I'm still experiencing the same issues! :cussing:

I've tried a 2nd integrated stereo amp and a different phono preamp which is a Dynavector P75 MK3 I recalibrated for MM carts. With it, the thumping is less pronounced but still there. I'm also experiencing grounding issues which become increasingly severe the closer the tonearm gets to the center of the platter. About 90% of the hum goes away when a ground wire from the preamp touches any metal from the tonearm. There is also, depending on how the tonearm is positioned, a difference in amount of noise (i.e. "shhhhh") I get from the speakers which I find unsettling.

All of these issues lead me to believe there has to be some sort of major issue with the tonearm itself. The tech mentioned he repaired the original tonearm. He did not replace it. Still, he even played a test record and did not experience those issues so I don't know why I am.

This was a gift for my father-in-law. He's been quite disappointed and I understandably cannot hand him over this turntable to him. Tomorrow (Saturday), I will communicate to him the issues I've run into tonight and ask him whether he wishes to be refunded or have the tonearm replaced entirely. He's an older gentleman and does not care much for eCommerce so my guess is he'll wish to walk into a store, audition, and buy the old-fashioned way but I'll let you know either way what he decides.

The level of service I've been provided so far has been stellar. I was and continue to be pleasantly surprised. So my experience with the dealer is a positive one. This is merely a complaint about the product itself.

I'm at a loss. I've been running around, driving through traffic, sending emails, making phone calls, etc. And I'm still no closer to getting this problem resolved.

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I don't get it - from page 1 - we said send it back - get a replacement - the table is the problem.

H8SLKC and Standingstones like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

It was a tonearm wiring issue which is what was posted by a few members on page 1. That's what was supposedly addressed by the tech who tested everything after he was done before handing the turntable to me. He spent 1.5h on this issue.

I sent an email to the owner stating I'll present my FIL with 2 choices ; having the new tonearm installed instead or getting a refund. The dealer does not have any more refurbished RP3s for sale. I'm wondering if I should now instead suggest to my FIL to go for the P3-24 that is in the classifieds. It's slightly more expensive, not the color he wants, and wouldn't be covered by any warranty, but there is the external power supply and a few upgrades along with the isolation platform which he might appreciate.

We'll soon see what he prefers to do. In the meantime, you're convinced that having an entirely new tonearm installed wouldn't fix the issues? Any hypothesis as to why?

21. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Face the facts. You bought a lemon. In trying to save a few dollars you bought a refurbished unit and it backfired. Now you are wasting time and effort in order to fix this thing. Either ditch this turntable or eat the cost and buy from a reputable dealer. Problem solved.

rischa and rebellovw like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Yes, it could be a lemon through and through and I'm certainly open to that possibility. If my FIL requests a refund, I'll certainly be in his corner all the way.

I was trying to save him some money as asking somebody to spring 2K to get back into vinyl is a little much for most people. Things in life are rarely as simple as you're making them seem.

23. What a frustrating story!!! Did the repair guy test it before handing it back? Did you hear it before accepting it back? You must be at your wits end. Good luck and keep us posted

24. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Frankly, there are plenty of turntables from the online stores that fall in the $500 to $1000 range. I haven't made it 'simple.' You have made it difficult by cheaping out.

Robert C likes this.
  25. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I may be off base but I would revisit those leads to the phono cartridge. Did the tech realign the cartridge for you? In the video the cartridge is so far back and the wiring of the cartridge does not look very graceful for lack of a better word. It is possible one of the clips has been damaged or connections is loose to the cartridge.

timztunz and CCrider92 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.