New RRHOF Singles Category

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul b, Apr 15, 2018 at 5:48 PM.

1. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last night at the RRHOF induction ceremonies it was announced by Little Steven that they were going to start "admitting" singles by artists not inducted. This kinda smells bad for these artists who are much more than one song but these are some monster songs.
    The first six singles: “Rocket 88” by Ike Turner’s King’s of Rhythm, “Rumble” by Link Wray, “The Twist” by Chubby Checker, “Louie Louie” by the Kingsmen, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” by Procol Harum and “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf.
    Sadly, Procol Harum, Steppenwolf, Chubby Checker and Link Wray may now never get inducted as artists.

Galley likes this.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Good choices.
    I'd nominate Dirty Water by the Standells and Little Girl by the Syndicate Of Sound.

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Shakin' All Over by Johnny Kidd and The Pirates
    Move It by Cliff Richard and The Drifters
    Apache by The Shadows

Three of the most important and best records ever issued in the UK. Move It is generally acknowledged as the first truly great home-grown British rock 'n' roll record.
    Having said that, all three of those acts (Kidd/Pirates, Cliff Richard, The Shadows) should already be in the HoF. There were a small number of British acts preparing the way for The Beatles et al. Billy Fury is another. They might not have meant much in the States but that's no excuse unless it's the American Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame.
    PT and Roger Daltrey would be delighted to induct Johnny Kidd and The Pirates and if you can find a 1960s British rock guitar player not influenced by Hank Marvin in some way then you're probably mistaken. I'd nominate Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page or Peter Green to induct The Shadows, McCartney to induct Cliff and Keith Richards is full of praise for the entirely self-composed 1960 Billy Fury LP. The Sound Of Fury. Add Zak Starkey (or his dad) and you've got a pretty decent band to educate the board as to the importance of those classic British artists.

4. John54

John54 Forum Resident

There's nothing wrong with recognizing singles. But is the idea to recognize "famous" (i.e., top-selling) singles by one-hit wonders or acts who otherwise barely saw the light of day chart-wise, or "good" singles? In the latter case, a lot of people have different ideas. If the former, there are probably even bigger examples than the ones selected.

I'm thinking offhand of MacArthur Park, not that it was necessarily bigger than the six, although it was still pretty big, but unlike Procol Harum or Steppenwolf, Richard Harris is definitely not going into the Hall.

I also see no problem with both the band and some of their songs admitted. This of course would open the floodgates ...

5. It would recognize bands that had a musical impact but also bands that may not have been great at producing albums. However, it shouldn't preclude acts from being in ducted as a band.