New Rush 5.1 Releases (Sector 1, 2, 3 Boxsets)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon_LDT, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I can't see how these sets are poor value regaradless oh how many 5.1 discs are in them. The on;y thing is of course if you've already got the cds which most of us have its a pain to update!

Me personally well i'll be selling off my current cds either on Ebay or to friends and reinvesting whatever money I get to upgrade. Even if I get $5 per disc theres $75 which pays for over half the cost of upgrading to mini-lp style packaging, 3 x 5.1 discs and some cool boxsets!

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think the dividing line for me will be the CDs remastering

If these are better than the 90s remasters (which I doubt) then I'll buy the sets.
    If not (which is probably) I'll pass that single DVD 5.1 per set, really

3. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

I took the plunge and pre-ordered them at $50 a pop from amazon.ca. I can always cancel them later when more info has surfaced. Here's hoping that they got the remasters right.

4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Exactly....:righton:

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What makes you think these CD's will be an "upgrade" over what you already have?

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Although Moving Pictures wasn't necessarily the best mastering ever (ignoring the hi rez- just speaking about the redbook), IMO it was an upgrade from the 90s remaster so I'd assume if the same guys are involved these will better the 90s remasters as well.

7. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

FWIW, I don't happen to view these releases as necessarily sub-par. OK, would I have preferred 5.1 versions of all the albums? Yes, or course; but frankly, I'd have been willing to pay $35 -$40 for a single 5.1 release, so the 2-ch versions are almost disposable. I do concede that purchasing sub-par releases will not encourage necessarily better efforts in the future, but withholding purchase certainly will not. Unless you are actively complaining to the record companies and they are paying attention (and care), then not buying is far more likely to be interpretted by same as a lack of interest and general pointlessness for future releases - this seems perfectly cogent to me! Absent some kind of social media blitz, are you suggesting that withholding purchase is likely to enable a more useful outcome?

Indeed, perhaps both your approach and mine are doomed to failure .....

8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

seems like another record comapny Bizzare and clueless decision designed to stifle sales rather than encourage sales. Much better the King Crimson way or to a lesser extent the Steven Wilson Blu ray way.

9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the fact that (assuming) there is still no mention of it on the official Rush site (someone posted this earlier) means that it was not band-sanctioned

10. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I found the recent MP re-release package (including the CD/BR/DVD audio) to be one of the worst mastering jobs and biggest letdowns in my almost 40 years of enjoying music. It had exactly one listen and now sits on the shelf...banished from any further listening.

If that one was any indicator - there is no doubt in my mind that ALL of these boxes will be way overblown in the mastering department and will be money wasted when compared with the already excellent existing original CD's/vinyl that is already out there.

Now if James Guthrie and Co were overseeing the mixes...we would have a chance (the new Pink Floyd re-releases are stellar sounding with full dynamix retained) or even Steven Wilson. But after hearing that MP reissue - Richard Chycki will ruin these for sure.

Even Nick Raskulinecz (who I had very high hopes for after enjoying Snakes and Arrows) was behind the latest Evanescence release - and it's the most volume induced piece of crap I have endured since the Foo Fighters album came out.

Sadly - Clockwork Angels is dead to me already if this is any sign whatsoever where Nicks head (and the bands) is at....

Where's Steve H when we really need him?

VP

11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I am on this side of the Fence , Unless we see seperate Physical releases of these , i'm out ......
    Not a lot of faith knowing they keep using the same team to mix these either .

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

If I recall correctly from Different Stages period interviews, the reason this show never saw the light of day before was that Geddy supposedly had a cold that night and didn't think the show was worthy of release.

I think this show was supposed to be for a radio broadcast which never materialized because of Geddy's perceived issue with his voice.

The show was then forgotten about until the forced "hiatus."

Perhaps parts of the show that remain unreleased were due to this perceived issue?

The other thing is you'd be talking about a four-disc live release if you used that whole show.

Unfortunately as it is, the main release is not a complete Test For Echo show (I think Show Don't Tell and The Analog Kid were added later from the Counterparts tour for fans that thought there wasn't enough).

To prove your point though, Rush admitted their mistake when they reissued the full R30 show after first releasing it incomplete because they didn't want to duplicate songs that were released on previous live albums.

For what it's worth, I'm not buying these boxes either (at least right away).

13. BodyElectric

BodyElectric New Member

That may be, but I doubt they'll be sending the royalty checks back.

14. BodyElectric

BodyElectric New Member

How do you figure? Most of the bootleg shows from that era fit comfortably on two CDs. Did they play an extra-long show that night?

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Not a chance that this isn't band sanctioned, imo.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

The Hammersmith disc was in the initial pressings (though I have not ever come a cross a regular two-disc edition) as a bonus third disc.

The main Different Stages live release was just the first two discs. The third disc was supposed to be a bonus for the fans.

I just think putting a fourth disc (the complete 1978 show) in the set (as much was we'd love it) in that context wouldn't fly possibly because the label thought it would be cost prohibitve. (Even the package itself has the third disc thrown in loosely with its own sleeve).

Anyway, that's what I was getting at.

17. I think it sounds pretty good. I like the EQ choices. Of course, I would have preferred that limiting had not been utilized, but it was not too egregious and somehow it did not sound like the recording's dynamic range had been compromised.

18. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

The Digital Bits is reporting that all 15 albums will be available as 24/96 downloads from HDTracks for around $18 a pop. 2-Channel, of course, but very interesting.

19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That makes me wonder if these "Boxes" are dvd set's ? one in 5.1 & the rest stereo ? is that Possible ?

20. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Hmmm...these may be a good opportunity for me to check out 24/96 playback on my new Squeezebox Touch!

21. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Power Windows is now also reporting 24/96 stereo downloads. Confirmed by universal

http://news.2112.net/2011/10/rush-sectors.html?spref=fb

"Update: For the audiophiles out there, Universal Music has confirmed all 15 albums were remastered in 96/24 then downconverted for CD in 44.1/16; only the DVD has the full 96/24 lossless audio. However, all 15 albums are going to be available as full 96/24 downloads at HDTracks.com for about $18 each."

This would make it worth it for me as long as they didn't destroy them in mastering. At least we could buy one album
    and even hear clips before buying.

22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

Hmmmm, the same amount of ears that we have.....works for me

first 3 I'll buy:
    Hemispheres
    Moving Pictures
    Signals

23. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

We may have only 2 ears but we have infinite.1 ability. ;)

24. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Well, perhaps yours work differently than mine, but I can actually hear sounds coming from beside and behind me.

25. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

Yes - Geddy talked about this in an interview, the show was recorded for Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show on BBC Radio 1, but was never broadcast because of the issues you've mentioned.

Rush have been asked a lot about stuff in the archives and they have always said there really isn't very much - so I don't think we should be that surprised that nothing ever gets released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.