New Rush 5.1 Releases (Sector 1, 2, 3 Boxsets)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon_LDT, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents ....
    :-( :-( :-(

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

HDTracks has Moving Pictures already.

3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

There isn't a lot that they are willing to release. That doesn't mean 'there isn't very much'.

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm of the opinion that there really isn't too much in the way of studio work, but archived live material is a different story.

I get the sense that we'll be seeing more of it whenever the band is mothballed.

5. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

HDtracks will sell to anyone who uses PayPal instead of a credit card. I've purchased a number of albums from them.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Different Stages was a missed opportunity. I was at the Chicago show, from which the bulk of the first 2 discs come. That show was amazing. The band were ON that evening. Discs 1 and 2 should've used the entire Chicago gig, not *most* of it plus stuff from the 1994 tour. The 1978 Hammersmith should've been a seaprate release, albeit in it's entirety.

The 1994 Madison, WI and 1996 Houston, TX soundboards are complete and sound light years better. They have nice dynamics and sound unfutuzed with. They are perfect examples of how Different Stages should sound. Comparing those board recordings to the multitrack sourced "Different Stages" makes me want to tell the engineeers who worked on it: "you suck". And I'm not like that, by nature anyhow.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks for that Update ....

8. Excellent! I will purchase all of the 24/96 HD Tracks downloads.

It's a good time to be an audiophile!

9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I was at the Milwauke show the night before (not to mention Albany tour opener and Montreal) and it was also a very "on" night....they were probably hitting a stride.
    As far as missed opportunity/poor sound complaints, I don't have too much of an issue with it. It has a lot of audience in the mix....if you remember this was somewhat fashionable at the time for live recording - I also don't like it, but it's not the worst I've heard. The fact that they threw in Hammersmith with the release was just gravy...a gift to the fans. How can you complain about that?

10. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Naive question, will these down converted discs still sound better than the Rush Remasters from a few years back.
    Am I buying the same product again or would these more superior?

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

they aren't downconverted.....they were downconverted to make the redbook CD's for the upcoming sets, but for the downloads they retain 24/96, if I read correctly

12. Mike McMann

Ok thanks. Should I expect a better product then the original remasters?

13. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

as long as you have 24/96 playback capability, yeah

14. Mike McMann

:cheers:

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

My beef with the 1978 set is that it's not the full show. Lakeside Park, Closer To The Heart, 2112 and the drum solo were all missing. I'm a big booster of having complete shows on cd. And the 1978 Farewell To Kings shows had a very good setlist. The performances of Closer To The Heart and Neil's drum solo circa 1978 were far more interesting than those on discs 1 and 2 of Different Stages...and those aren't that much different than those on A Show Of Hands.

16. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Oh yes! My Oppo BDP-95 is going to be very happy playing these.

:righton:

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I kind of agree that it was a missed opportunity, but it was really never intended to be more than it was -- A placeholder for the first year or so of the "hiatus."

It was unique in that this was the first time Rush ever released a double CD live album. (Still not a full show since they went to a three hour format for the first time on that tour. This likely would have been a complete show had they not.) On top of that they add the Hammersmith 1978 bonus CD.

I'm also a fan of complete shows and Rush has released them since Different Stages (with the exception of R30 and they corrected that later at least on DVD.)
    Before that, the closest Rush came to releasing a complete show was All The World's A Stage.

Different Stages isn't prefect, but at that point, I just think we were lucky to get what we did. ...And that jam at the end of Closer to The Hear is killer (It's my favorite version of that song yet because of that ending.)

Even one disc of Hammersmith 1978 was a totally unexpected move by the band back then.

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

19. Great news (obviously)!

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Looking forward to recieving them :)

22. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I could not be more confused by this project.
    After seeing that video, all I want from what is offered is Signals in 5.1.
    Why cherry picking 5.1 mixes?
    Why would I buy individual releases in a box when I can go to Best Buy and buy them for $5 a piece?
    If you are going through all the trouble, make them all 5.1 or none at all.
    Come on guys, I want to give you my money but you refuse to take it.
    The even bigger slap, I assume, to get Signals in 5.1, I have to re-buy worthless CDs that I already own, including a very expensive Moving Pictures set a few months back.

23. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

don't know about anyone else here, but I would not have chosen Fly By Night or Fairwell To Kings. Signals, yes, probably. I think Hemispheres and Permanent Waves would have been my choices

24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I read that they occasionally soundchecked Lakeside Park in the 80's. Surely one of those exists....would love to hear it.

25. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Are the non 5.1 cds remastered in these Sectors sets??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.