New Ryan Adams, "Prisoner" due out February 17, 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fletch, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yeah, I confess I also used this playlist as a one-stop for some great tracks that weren't "officially" on proper albums:
    "Fool's Gold," for instance, really rips off Dylan's version of "Watchtower," but it's a great song aside from that.
    "Lovely And Blue" and "Red Lights" are better than most of the tracks on Rock N Roll proper.
    "Mega Superior Gold" should've been on Demolition, since there was never a "true" Pinkhearts album... If you like "Starting To Hurt," it's in the same vein.
    "Gimme Sunshine" was a staple of his early acoustic sets (1999-2000)... No idea why it wasn't recorded for Heartbreaker, but I guess a studio version was cut years later and you can find it on the Japanese Love Is Hell or the MoFi box set. Standout track for me.
    And "Monday Night" is the first "official" Ryan solo track ever! Came out on the Bloodshot comp "Down To The Promised Land" a few months before Heartbreaker.

budwhite likes this.
  2. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I love Ryan Adams (the s/t)

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I must have artist bias. I hate Foreigner by I am digging the heck out of this record !

e.s. likes this.
  4. "Do You Still Love Me?" Doesn't really fit musically with what follows-although it does lyrically.It is like a support band at a concert before the main act comes on.I really like it though and the Foreigner comparison jumped out at me first time I heard it so glad I am not alone.
    Terrific album.

Brian Doherty likes this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think Do You Still Love Me? Fits perfectly as an introduction to the album. It's like Ryan is saying "ok this is what this album is about"

Golden Richards, e.s., thewho and 3 others like this.
  6. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Tickets for the Edinburgh show went on sale at 10AM this morning, I was in the online queue before that, but by 10.05 when I got to the selection page there was nothing left at all.

Not surprisingly there are dozens on viagogo though for the show at double the face value and more, make of that what you will......

Buying tickets for concerts seems to be more a less a completely broken system. :realmad:

ScramMan2, CharlieClown and KOWHeigel like this.
  7. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

Try phoning the Usher Hall. They were still selling tickets on their website at 11.

And there are still restricted views available.

I'm going - 3rd time at Usher Hall, 9th time in Scotland. :)

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

What does the set list look like? He's coming to Columbia, SC soon.

9. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Its a humdinger of a song

gramfan likes this.
  10. wallpaperman

Cheers Boozyuzi, will have a look at this. 9th time, good going. :righton:

11. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

This record is better than 90% of new releases today, even if it's not his best.....

thxphotog, ScramMan2, bhazen and 5 others like this.
  12. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree and the vinyl sounds fab.

This is a grower, I can see this being 6th to 7th on my fav list with a bullet. My top four is locked down but 5th may be up for grabs.

14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I feel like I have to skip the first two tracks to get the Ryan Adams part of the album. lol.

Jack likes this.
  15. wallpaperman

Noticed that Ryan's album entered the UK album charts at number 3, which is a few places higher than his previous best.

I'm sure that it will drop quite far down in it's second week, as artists like this tend to do when a loyal fanbase buy a lot of copies in the first week, but still thought it was a fair achievement for someone who is still fairly unknown in the UK to the mainstream music fan.

e.s. likes this.
  16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I have been disappointed by Prisoner, sad to say. It's good for a listen but it just isn't very compelling, for me. I fell in love with Ryan for his words primarily and I find the lyrics on this record so blunt and without shade. I had high hopes that his divorce might make him tap into something more real than what he's been writing for his last few albums, but I'm not really hearing that.

I think it's going to end up like the last few- stashed on my shelf and rarely played. It's almost cliche at this point, but I miss his early career songwriting. Very much.

Cassius, gramfan and Yorick like this.
  17. Like Ashes & Rain, this one is growing on me rapidly. Makes me want to pull s/t back out to see if the same thing happens ...

e.s. likes this.
  18. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

I would really like to see a comparison of the DR of the CD vs. the available 24/96 download version.
    The DR of the CD is a bit compressed and obscured for my tastes. I really like this album, so hope the DR of the hires download version is better, but I do not trust HDtracks. I might just be an unconverted version of the CD.

Can anyone give an indication of the DR of the 24/96 version of this album?

I would just buy the album for comparison, but as I do not live in the US, I would have to go out of my way (VPN connection etc.) to purchase it.

The 24/96 version of Love Is Hell is to my ears significantly better sounding than the CD version of that album, so hoping for the same here.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Enjoying this more each time I come back to it.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  20. Hi HumbleBy, I do not have the CD to compare but this is what I got from the 24/96 download from ProStudioMasters. Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Ryan Adams / Prisoner [Explicit Lyrics]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.28 dB 4:00 01-Do You Still Love Me?
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.24 dB 3:12 02-Prisoner
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.45 dB 3:02 03-Doomsday
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.30 dB 2:42 04-Haunted House
    DR9 -2.57 dB -13.75 dB 3:05 05-Shiver And Shake
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.45 dB 3:22 06-To Be Without You
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.90 dB 4:51 07-Anything I Say To You Now
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.56 dB 4:00 08-Breakdown
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.31 dB 4:21 09-Outbound Train
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.15 dB 2:57 10-Broken Anyway
    DR10 0.00 dB -12.72 dB 3:56 11-Tightrope [Explicit]
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.32 dB 3:29 12-We Disappear

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2755 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The intro to "Prisoner" sounds like "There She Goes" by the La's.

Not a bad thing, really.

22. Harry Speakup

Harry Speakup Listening to tracks by Sam Therapy and King Dice

Reminds me of Johnny Marrs guitar from the first Smiths album - eg tracks such as "Reel Around the fountain"

Colgin and bhazen like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yeah, I thought that too as the track went on. Not a bad thing at all!

24. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Really digging the new one played it once a day everyday since I got it. Every time I listen to it I find something new. The album is also not in your face when it plays but if you listen to it, it's in your face. Know what I mean?

thxphotog, ScramMan2 and xj32 like this.
  25. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

This. "Reel Around The Fountain" jumped to mind the first time I heard this track and still does. So far my favorite track on the album although "Doomsday" is close.

Harry Speakup likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.