New Schiit Preamps and Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffsab, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

No one said anybody is lying, but because of a lack of any detail what so ever we have to guess.

For example, your scenario is pure speculation. The speaker blowing up may have absolutely zero to
    do with the preamp.

Businesses can be harmed when we get second hand information with no specifics.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Your belief the preamp wasn't involved in the problem is also pure speculation. You're guessing as well. My scenario was to point out it's certainly not impossible. It's easy to see you've already decided the story isn't true even without additional details.

Businesses that build good products have nothing to worry about. Somebody has said something negative about pretty much every audio product ever made.

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Oh, I agree it is NOT impossible.

Just also remember that most ML speakers are plugged into a power source..so then now you have another box of variables. Power surge?

4. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Do you mean a headphone out on the preamp itself? Yeah, it been the only thing holding me back from getting either the Freya or Saga. It'd be easy to add a headphone amp to one of the RCA outs but I don't have one so...just more $$$

5. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

A Fulla 2 is only $99 and would give you way more flexibility on where you could listen.

6. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I mean a pre-volume pot output that could be sent to a dedicated headphone amp. It certainly would be easy to add a headphone amp via one of the RCA outs, yeah, but that's nowhere near ideal as it is an output after the volume control.

7. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Schiit started out as and are still primarily and headphone amplifer company and the Freya is their flagship stereo, balanced preamplifer. It wouldn't make much sense to put a compromised headphone amp on an otherwise high end product. Including a headphone circuit on the same level as Freya into the design would add serveral hundred dollars.

martinb4 and Manimal like this.
  8. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

To clarify, I have only spoken about lack of pre-volume-outputs -- NOT lack of headphone amp. I have a headphone amp and if I wanted a Freya I would be hard-pressed to integrate said headphone amp into my system due to lack of pre-outs on the Freya.

whaiyun and dmckean like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Could you achieve the same by putting the Freya in passive mode and turning its volume pot all the way up?

10. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

That's just asking for trouble.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You might want to unplug your speakers first, sure. :)

12. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Returning to an earlier part of this thread...

For context, I was asking about monoblocks with my Motion 60s, but the Vidar isn't rated for 4ohms in mono mode because protection kicks in on the amp if you drive it hard. OTOH, the Motions are 94db sensitive, so I don't know that I would need to ever drive hard enough for that to be an issue...

Anyway, knowing that the single Vidar config would be plenty of power, what's the potential benefit of going with monoblocks? I was thinking it'd be good to run it with the balanced outs on a Freya and so forth, and that could be sonically better than a single amp, but I've not run monoblocks before and would like some perspectives.

13. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

I asked Schiit about the feasibility of running two Vidar's in mono with 4 ohm, 86 db speakers that dip down to 3 ohms and they didn't recommend it. They said one amp would likely handle the load at reasonable levels, but mono mode was not recommended.

14. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

The benefits of running balanced are mostly in the DAC (lower noise floor, lower distortion, elimination of high frequency noise). Running balanced all the way through from DAC to speakers avoids the audio signal ever needing to go through a summing circuit. A lot of people believe the sound is clearer and more articulate this way.

Balanced circuits are also better at rejecting noise and longer cable runs.

jimbutsu likes this.
  15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Kind of what I wondered about - but there's a pretty good difference between 86 and 94... Is it enough, though? No idea. I also asked Schiit and they were sort of noncommittal, likely because of the higher sensitivity of the speakers (which they did ask about). I was hoping maybe someone had given it a whack.

I really want to take advantage of the balanced connections all the way through, but I really don't know if it'll run stable. I suppose the fact that it's not rated for it should tell me something.

16. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

How well would their $50 SYS passive pre work with the Vidar? Asking for a friend.

17. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

sounds like you are describing maggies...

18. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

It should work just fine. RCA in - RCA out to the Vidar

19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Depends on the output impedance of their sources. Vidar has a input impedance of 22K Ohms, so you wouldn't want to put SYS between a high Zout tubed component and Vidar. Under 200 Ohms Zout should be fine.

Schiit's Saga at $350 does away from the impedance concerns, and sounds fantastic. Remote control too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.