New Series The Walking Dead on AMC this Fall

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sbroache, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of the best endings ever in a Zombie movie...best friends even after the end! love it!

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

So the good stuff is because he outlined it all years ahead of time, the bad stuff is because they fired him and cut the budget.

I think getting fired is one the best things that could ever happen to him. He wins no mater what.

3. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

He lost his show. How is that winning?

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Because he's not even working on the show and gets credit for everything good about and takes none of the blame for anything negative about.

"That part was good because I'm sure Frank wrote a 20 season outline."

"that part sucked, that wouldn't have happened if Frank was still running the she show!"

5. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

It also had the group going back to the old folks home we saw in the 'Vatos' episode and finding most everyone there turned and/or gone.

If you watch the season 2 trailer you'll see a few clips that were cut like Shane running down a road being followed by a herd of Zom-Zoms.

6. I think you've confused me with someone else. I never stated any of that.

I don't think the second season has been great by any stretch of the imagination. If he was involved in the outlines for all the episodes for the second season, well, he deserves as much blame as praise.

There were good and bad episodes this season including some cringe inducing moments. Whomever was responsible for both should receive their due.

7. See I didn't think the CDC episode was silly stuff. It was a strong episode that I enjoyed.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Agreed. Darabont's idea for the season premiere was basically separate from the main storyline anyway, so there's no reason why its rejection would prevent the use of his other ideas for the rest of the season.

For good or ill, any showrunner's influence will continue after his day-to-day participation ends. One of the new writers Darabont hired for season 2 is his former personal assistant. He wrote the episode which aired three weeks ago.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sorry, that storyline about the marine in the tank had nothing in it that appealed to me. I want to see stories about the people we're following, not some random dude they run into.

10. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Don't apologize to me. I couldn't care less.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, I think he only got 3 or 4 episodes in before show runner Glen Mazzara took over. He wasn't merely Frank Darabont's "assistant" -- Mazzara was a very experienced TV exec who was essentially the head writer and a co-producer.

I think there have been a few story and character problems in the 2nd season, but none of them were terrible enough to make me stop watching. I think the show's still good, but it did lose a little momentum for awhile, it took them a few episodes to get things moving. I don't doubt that Darabont is miffed that the show has done even better without him than it did with him. And I also take his side in that I think the people running AMC are greedy bastids who wanted to cut the budget, and Darabont did the right thing in taking a stand.

'The Walking Dead' Showrunner Explains Unproduced Frank Darabont Premiere

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I wasn't talking about Glen Mazzara. I was talking about David Leslie Johnson, who got his start as Darabont's assistant and wrote a couple of episodes this season.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, pardon me. He is, in fact, a new writer. Very tough for new people to break into the business, especially on a show this successful.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Aren't Andrea and Dale part of the group that the story is about?

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

No they make a cameo in it. At least according to the stories I read. It was a silly and expensive idea of let's have a story about the tank guy and the cast will make cameo appearances throughout it. So basically we would have had the same slow start on this time with an hour long flashback to a character that was never a part of the show. I've heard the idea was to make the show more like Lost with flashbacks feeling in details and multiple storylines all getting explained over the course of time in flashbacks.

I know everyone think this was all about money, but I think there was also a creative fallout.

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Someone correct me if I'm wong, but my understanding those were the zombies Rick and Shane killed with a nife at the gate. The bodies were next to each other because Rick and Shane moved them off of the driveway so they could drive into the parking lot.

17. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

That's exactly who they were. Rick killed them at the gate with a knife to the prefrontal lobes and then he and Shane must've dragged them to the grass off-camera.

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Interesting. I felt some of the "flashback" vibe early on in the season, and actually really enjoyed what there was. The scene of ATL being torched with a haired Shane was one of the season's moving moments.

19. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I, too, enjoyed the mini-flashbacks this season. Not that they were all necessary, but they provide some level of depth and insight, making it easier to understand or sympathize with a particular character. The flashbacks also provide clues as to why said characters act/react to the circumstances of any given episode the way that they do. Also, it's nice to see snippets of the world pre-zombie apocalypse, or rather, during all hell breaking loose and the normal people trying to process and make sense of it.

Keep the flashbacks focused on the main core cast and I'm all for more of them.

20. Michael

I really dislike the flashback or the previews on each show...just run the episode.

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Here are a couple of funny things I found on Facebook that I thought I'd share.

Chad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

LOL on the 2-sentence summary!

23. Michael

...really looking forward to tomorrows episode!

24. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Seriously, a new baby on the way???? They can't keep track of a 10 year old. Guess they did not learn and teach Carl about " stranger danger"........ A good old can of "whoop ***" needs to be opened on Carl!!!!!!!

25. Michael

can we leave Carl alone.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.