New series: Vikings

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gary, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

So far. so good. Way better than The Boring Dead.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I feel bad for Rangar's wife and son though. I do expect to see quite a bit of them going forward.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it was a different world they lived in...so far removed from the PC madworld of today...I like her too!

4. Michael

The Dead are boring! The living are worse...let's discuss it and have a meeting! yea, let's do that Ricky...

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Can't beat The Norsemen, surely. :)

6. Michael

great show, ain't it?

7. alexpop

image.jpg

ex_mixer likes this.
  8. alexpop

9. Michael

I'd dig it.

10. Michael

last nights show was great!, but the previous weeks preview for this had scenes not in this weeks show? weird.

11. Michael

one of the best shows on TV! in league with Game Of Thrones, Walking Dead IMO....gets better every week...

12. Michael

it all seemed to work out just fine..I'm amazed how they got the look of his son grown into a young man! great, just great..his wife did well after a bumpy ride.

13. Michael

not much love for this wonderful show? Hmmm...

14. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I have been watching it weekly after catching up with season 1 earlier this year. It is a pretty good show although I like season 1 on balance better than season 2. The pace of the 1st season was great while this season gets bogged down at times with internal soap operas and could use a little more action to keep things moving along.

15. Michael

IMO, both seasons have been excellent...I really like the characters. Travis Fimmel was in the series The Beast with Patrick Swayze...

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like this season, prefer the first one to be honest. This one seems to be reveling in the beatings and torture a bit too much lately. Not that this is unrealistic, just not what I want to watch.

I'll bet we'll have a third season.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm actually surprised by the violence in this show; it's awfully bloody. The episode I watched last week ended with the torture/ execution of the 'Jarl Borg' character [who was lead to a platform where his hands were placed on two stands and Ragnar proceeded to butcher him with an axe; Ragnar was dressed in a pure white robe which by the end was completely drenched in blood]. Too much for me. They really like the blood to flow and spatter in this show. There seems to be at least one scene in every episode where at least one person is brutally, graphically killed and someone else ends up covered in his blood.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I love this show! It is a bit like Sons Of Anarchy with boats instead of bikes though. The violence is probably about right, considering the time period and reputation of the Vikings.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Vikings is a great show. At present, it is my favorite TV show that is currently running (yes, even more than GoT).

For people that think the blood & violence is too much? It's actually cut down for American audiences. There was apparently six minutes of the 'Blood Eagle' footage that was deleted due to squeamish censors who deemed it too graphic for Americans who watch it on the History Channel. My suggestion is to buy the DVDs after the season is over. Those contain the uncut episodes which often have some gratuitous female nudity as well. Double the pleasure, double the fun!

Sometimes "Vikings" has some plot logic problems to it, but I forgive it. The characters are very interesting and it's fascinating to view into a world/time period (Norwegian) where, honestly, historians just don't know that much about. Their customs, their religion, their code of ethics; very interesting (even if it isn't totally accurate of course -- i.e. Viking dress, etc).

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I live in Canada. So, I don't know if I saw the edited version or not. The last scenes in that last episode didn't seem like the edited version. That execution certainly was disturbing. Maybe that was the intended effect on the audience, or maybe the show just revels in gratitious violence. I've always thought this show was created to rival 'Game of Thrones'. Maybe they're just trying to keep up with the body count. This usually isn't the kind of thing that bothers me, but I've noticed that at least one scene in every episode has someone literally covered in blood after a battle scene or murdering someone. Unusual for a show airing on a 'basic cable' channel here.

I studied the 'vikings' [at least what can be considered their golden age] in university. There are some errors and variance of historical accuracy, but overall the series seems to capture the spirit of the times most of time within this particular plot.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Right. So the first season was definitely censored (see the changes between the tv version and the bluray release here : http://www.movie-censorship.com/list.php?o=13629 ) and logically, this season will be no different. But what about the iTunes versions (web-dl) that appears after the broadcast? Can anyone confirm if these are the same as the ones airing on the History Channel?

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

YES...The Vikings were brutal...not much fantasy here!

23. Michael

didn't know that! thanks for the warning...yes, we need to be sheltered from ancient history...the PC scum has decided we just can't handle it...what a crock OF S&^T...

Centurion likes this.
  24. Michael

the stench of blood and filth must have been overwhelming back then!

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It's actually the only show on TV where I know the prodcast date and time and plan to what. Anything else I watch is pure channel grazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.