New series: Vikings

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gary, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loving this show….unfortunately I am late to the party.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

(to the tune of a well known Tom Jones song)
    What' up Athelstan? Whooah, waa ohhh, what's up Athelstan? Whooah waa ohhh. Athelstan, Athelstan, you've been places and you've seen faces and what'll you do when Ragnar sees you?

No really, though, Athelstan's cognitive dissonance stemming from his divided loyalties and tortured spiritual soul makes him the most interesting character to me. Anyone else agree?

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the party is still going on...come and enjoy the fun!

Pete Puma likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

He is interesting. Will see what happens!

5. Michael

no, I find him a weak annoying snake in the grass drone...not someone I would trust...he is a scumrat.

Centurion likes this.
  6. notesofachord

What's going on with Floki lately? I mean King Horik just wants use him to betray Ragnar so that he can regain his Alpha dog of the Alpha dogs status.

7. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Yea, **** Athelstan. When Floki confronted him with his suspicion that he is still a christian who hasn't renounced his god, he spoke some old Norse (or something) claiming that he is, in fact, a viking now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    But it took him about 4 seconds back in Wessex to get himself crucified and back in his monk's outfit, overjoyed with his latin scrolls fetish.

8. Michael

he is on a constant mushroom high! one twisted dude...one hand extended to shake the other a dagger in the your back...

9. Michael

10. notesofachord

The dude does have an amazing knack for self-preservation. What's up with all of his religious/sexual/insane hallucinations? Aftereffects from the 'shrooms he ate during the festival at Uppsala?

11. notesofachord

Flippin' Horik is going to try to get Rollo to go against his brother again. Maybe they should've killed him instead of Jarl Borg.

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I'm liking this! We are onto Series Two now and its still got me onboard the longboats. At least the Vikings don't have horny helmets! Or maybe they do? lol!

13. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Anybody remember this film made in 1958? We got forced to watch it at school History class!

14. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Yep, and also The Long Ships from the mid-60s with "the bell" and "the mare of steel". I wouldn't mind seeing that one again.

15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I actually like this movie.

What isn't to like about Janet Leigh? :righton:
    [​IMG]

16. Michael

he must have taken the "annoying" shroom...and enough of that "lost little girl" look as well...he erks me! Indeed!

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What exactly was his option other than being crucified? He was an Englishman first as well as a monk. He was captured by the Norsemen and wound a slave at one point, he was going to a sacrifice to the gods in the bizarre ritual for the Vikings. Only by the good graces of Ragnar, was allowed to be a free man and go along on the raiding party back to England. He was then captured again thanks in part due to King Horik's blunders & Eckbert's treachery. It's obvious he's experiencing conflicted loyalties and culture shock going from one country to another and back again. I think, ultimately, we will see Athlestan return to the Norsemen and, once again, become immersed into their society and culture. Yet, as a Christian and an Englishman, there will always be that uneasiness in him; a way for the audience, in effect, to witness the differences between the two cultures and how divided loyalties can develop. I don't think it will ever be 'cut and dried' with him and, frankly, he'd be a pretty boring character if that was what he was to become.

Dr. Bogenbroom and notesofachord like this.
  18. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

Interesting point of view. But because he chose (i doubt he was really forced, since Ragnar speaks the "English" language by now) to go raiding with the vikings it seems rather cowardly to just surrender. He should have stayed with the vikings or have died as one. Of course, the king can use his knowledge, so yeah, he is left alive and working for, what once were, his allies. But I think it's opportunistic to serve the 'winning' party. I don't call that loyalty. But i agree that this makes for a more interesting character, even though i don't like him. :)

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not too belabor the point too much, but the show makes a point to show that Athlestan is not an experienced warrior by any stretch of the imagination. Only in one battle does he prove to even be mildly competent. Separated from his group, he becomes frightened and resorts to what most would - self preservation. He was not born into Norse society and does not have the same ideas of dying and winning a place at a table in Valhalla.

He returns to the work he knows as that is what he is best at and seems to have a real love for it.

I can see why people aren't enamored with him as a character, but I've found him interesting and the interactions he has with Ragnar are some of the more genuine that I can recall on the show.

Centurion and notesofachord like this.
  20. notesofachord

Princess Auslaug only became Ragnar's woman because of her fertility. His true partner and equal is, of course, Lagertha - the new Earl "Ingstadt".

GodShifter likes this.
  21. notesofachord

BTW, I was flipping through a book about King Alfred the Great at a thrift store the other day, and the name of Ragnar Lothbrok is mentioned in it, as well as King Egbert. So, there is at least a smidgen of historical truth to the series. If the series does follow the historical record accurately, then I know which Saxon kingdom will fall first to the Norsemen. Don't worry, I won't tell...:winkgrin:

22. Michael

... no worries my wife just had to tell me the complete history of The Vikings...she's the one that got me into this show.

23. Michael

no, just the horny in helmets!

24. Michael

well so far she's striking out!

25. Michael

... he is redeemed after this past week! Indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.