New SF monster film Colossal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

My wife (who sees nearly every film - 103 in the theater so far this year) alerted me to a film that I HAVE to see - Colossal.

Now I know some people are going to see a still of Anne Hathaway and think "Chick flick!" but please, watch it.

2. Chris DeVoe

I first became antiquated with this director, Nacho Vigalondo when he had a short nominated for an Oscar called 7:35 In The Morning.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

He also did an amazing film a few years back called Timecrimes, which is maybe my favorite time-travel movie.
    Planning on seeing this one next week when it opens here in Seattle.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

I didn't get a chance to see that one. I'll have to seek it out - he has a great imagination.

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

He also did another one I just remembered, called "Extraterrestrial," which was also really good.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Definitely up my alley. I gotta see this one! Thanks for the tip.

CrazyCatz and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is one wacky idea for a film.

bpmd1962 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am going to see this as well, hopefully in a theater.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm not a fan of Anne Hathaway, but I'm a sucker for monster movies and I really enjoyed Timecrimes, so I'll be checking this one out!

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow
    She could have just glided through the next five years, wearing heels and short dresses, but I give her credit. This sucker is LEFT FIELD. Bravo

Dudley Morris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I get the feeling that she did this film for a fraction of her regular fee, that she needs something to completely overturn how she is seen in Hollywood (which I would have thought "Love and Other Drugs" would have done had anyone but me seen it.)

I totally don't get why so many people decided they didn't like her - I see tons of movies (though only a fraction of the ones my wife does) but I pay no attention at all to anything about Hollywood apart from the actual films and trailers. I don't care who is dating who, who is feuding with who, any of that crap. Jennifer Lopez, (for instance) is, to me, an actress who did exceptional work in "Out Of Sight."

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I haven't seen a ton of her films, but her performance in the ones I *did* see didn't make much of an impact on me.... there's nothing about her acting abilities that really stands out, in my opinion. Also, I don't find her particularly attractive... her eyes and mouth are so out-of-proportion with the rest of her face that she just seems weird-looking to me.
    :shrug:

Lightworker likes this.
  13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I used to feel the same way about her, until I saw her in "Get Smart"with Steve Carrell.
    She is truly incredibly hot in that film. You might want to check it out and see if she
    has the same affect on you after seeing it......
    [​IMG]

downer and Tree of Life like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Hmmm. Some unusual viewpoints on Hathaway here, or maybe it's just me. She's done a wide range of films, with many types of roles. I wasn't aware she is only thought of as a "chick flick" actor, or that she has a perception problem in Hollywood.

This film does look very interesting, but it doesn't surprise me that she's in it.

Chris from Chicago and CBC like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Seriously? I'm the only one here who saw Love And Other Drugs? She was buck naked through a significant portion of that movie!

CrazyCatz, Tree of Life and Mazzy like this.
  17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Be sure to let us know when you plan to post a picture of yourself so we can determine what is out of proportion on you.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My wife would not let that movie get any more than a few minutes of play in my house.
    She doesn't even have time for Prada, she says it has too much Anne playing dress up and looking pretty. (and she says the story is tired, among other criticisms). and my wife generally will watch almost anything Streep is in and doesn't sing.

19. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I have very broad tastes - she likes John Woo Hong Kong action films and I like incredibly girly chick flicks. I may be the only heterosexual male who saw and enjoyed 27 Dresses.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I am hoping to see this film. Not sure there is room for it at the local Googleplex though, what with 3 screens of regular "Beauty & The Beast", a 3-D screen of it, and a "sing along" version to boot. :)

21. I'm a fan of hers. Think she has really surprised in some roles.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I kinda pushed it out of my mind, 'coz
    a) I didn't like how the 'comedy' went out the window, by the end of the film.
    and
    b) my brother was the same kind of swarmy pharmaceutical salesman that Jake Gyllenhal played in that movie.

23. Chris DeVoe

It was a drama with comedic elements.

True, he was naked as well, so that might cause some trauma in your case.

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

But I already know that I'm weird-looking! :p

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm a huge fan of Timecrimes and can't wait to see this. It was a big hit at all the Austin film festivals last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.