New SF monster film Colossal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I don't remember the whole thing, but I remember enjoying some scenes. Heigl is pretty good, and Marsden was pretty funny in it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Saw it tonight and loved it! Had a couple of scenes that had me helpless with laughter.

Tree of Life likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

I'm reminded that I saw two films featuring dioramas yesterday - this and "Gifted."

4. I got a taste of buttered popcorn in my mouth while watching that trailer, which I'll take as a good sign. :)

5. She's hot. She's bothered. She's a monster. I will see it for all three reasons.

6. If you don't write movie taglines, you should. Damn. :)

Solaris and wayneklein like this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I don't get the near universal loathing of her. I find the roles she chooses pretty varied (she was great in Rachel Getting Married). Her acting more than holds her own. And she's quite lovely to look at.

Tree of Life, Chris DeVoe and Deesky like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Seriously? She's loathed?

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The local critic here gave it a qualified thumbs up. Without specifics, he said it does a sharp left turn that spoiled it for him. He gave Anne major props for even getting involved with this, as well as her acting. She evidently was 4 months preggers at the time.

10. Chris DeVoe

I need to see it again, but thinking back on it, the sharp left turn wasn't all that surprising, and I'm pretty sure it was indicated at several points earlier in the film.

11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Yeah. I don't know why. But she can't seem to do anything right in many people's eyes. Even when she wins awards, people complain how awful her acceptance speech is. I don't get it. As I said, I find her quite lovely.

Google "people who hate Ann Hathaway". You'd be shocked to see how much is written about this very thing.

12. Chris DeVoe

OK, that's going right on my "Things Not To Do Today" list, right after "Pull my own teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers to make an attractive necklace."

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Did anyone else go to see this movie this weekend? Or were you all off seeing the latest Fast and the Furious sequel?

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I saw it on Saturday. Absolutely loved it. All talk of Ms. Hathaway aside, Jason Sudeikis continues to impress the hell out of me. I think this might be the best acting (comedic and otherwise) I've seen him pull off.

15. Chris DeVoe

I have to see it again just to see his characters arc.

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

We just saw it this afternoon and loved it. Full of sharp turns and unexpected change ups. Hathaway was her usual wonderful self, but Jason Sudeikis really shocked with that performance, just wonderful.
    I love how my two fave recent films are this and Get Out, movies that take genre films and twist them into new shapes.

wayneklein and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just got back from seeing this and really enjoyed it!

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm thinking of seeing it on Sunday, along with The Lost City of Z.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's only playing in one theatre here in Toronto! If it's not sold out I'll be seeing it this weekend. But I'm getting awfully picky in my old age. The only films I've loved this year so far have been 'Personal Shopper' and 'Get Out.'

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, you're not the only one who saw it. I saw it and really liked it as well. Not sure why she's garnered so much dislike. Maybe just in too many movies for such a short time? Nothing breeds contempt like success and exposure. Really liked Get Smart as well. Anne has plenty of variety in her roles. It's not like she's Kate Hudson.

Colossal was very good and its nice to see something different. I didn't really like the sharp left turn (as its been called in this thread), but I suppose there had to be more than just the known premise. And Sudeikis did better with his part than I would have expected. He showed has more in him than just sketch comedy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  21. part of that dislike is fueled by her success I suspect and part of that has been the critical acclaim she has received. Jealousy looks like a hateful critic with nothing positive to say. She gave emotionally naked (and physically naked) series of performances proving her range.

I thought she was fine (literally in Love and Other Drugs and she did something that most female actors won't do--be naked on screen wiout a body double for most of the film. She also has appeared in a musical and become a producer with Colossal and that all shows daring on her part. Jealousy also dislikes folks that push their own boundaries.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  22. This is a very good but quirky movie that mixes elements of failed relationship, romantic comedy, bullying, cmtrolling relarionships and the struggle with alcoholism among insecure people. Mixing and matching various genres (including a kaiju movie) a very difficult film to handle in terms of mood, tone and content. The director does a pr tty good job of juggling these different elements as does the expert cast.

agentalbert and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. One thing's for sure, the trailers don't really prepare you for how dark the movie gets in the second half - I was expecting it to be more comic overall. Still liked it though - as the above notes, the director and cast do a good job of managing tone throughout a pretty bizarre story. And who knew Jason "Dancin' Red Track Suit Guy" Sudeikis could play against type so well?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Man, I could've sworn I wrote a review about this when it came out (I often do that after having a good conversation after the films we see), and surprised I hadn't posted it here.

Sadly, now I don't remember any of my points. I'd still recommend it for a date movie, Sudeikis' character be damned. You'll have a lot to talk about after, and isn't that what you really want on a date (well, yeah, but...)!

25. The darkness lurking below the surface and the main character's problem with alcohol are what separates this from a run of th mill romcom or drama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.