New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

If they said: "● Reprinted the DSD master ● 2010 Worldwide Digital remastered sound source", it means DSD master was done in 2010 and will be used as "sound source" now. What do you think?

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No way a 2010 DSD master exists, that's not how the Abbey Road remastering team works.
    Don't get hung up with the wording of a bad automatic translation from Japanese: the so-called "DSD master" is just the 96/24 PCM master converted to DSD.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    moss and Ulli like this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

DSD has a nice "analogue" coloration, that may be why some like it, even if the source is originally PCM.

Just to be clear, I don't think the SACDs will use the Redbook CD masters but the original Hi-Res 96/24 masters that are being sold as downloads.

If you have an amazing SACD player but a so-so player for the downloads, it would make sense to get the SHM-SACDs instead.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Interetsing info Toilet Doc. I may be keen on buying the Lennon SACD box set, if these are so limited how would one go about buying a set?

Jagger69 likes this.
  5. Simply place an order at www.cdjapan.co.jp

Jagger69 likes this.
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought the boxes are Disk Union, CD Japan is not affiliated with that chain. EBay will have them, there are many great sellers who offer them up.

7. I didn't realize that. I'm sorry for inaccurate information. I thought CD Japan carried absolutely everything in the way of Japanese music collectibles.

8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Darn. I just placed an order for a few Lennon and Beach Boys. No money for this right now. :(

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It always had it, and also says "Release postponed". It is not available for preorder.

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Oki. See……..

13. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

All the Lennon SACD's are up for pre order but no mention of the box in any search that I could find

14. eelkiller

The box is not available anywhere except Disk Union stores. EBay sellers will have them, guaranteed.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Crime of the Century listing has been that way for quite awhile. At least that is how my preorder has been with a November 01, 2014 release date with Availability - Release Postponed.

Bill

16. Yea, I think I jumped the gun on CDJapan having the box. Sorry for any confusion.

17. eelkiller

Translated "Don't get your hopes up"

18. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Translated "Forget about it".

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Unfortunately I agree :(.

Bill

20. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I ain't giving up the ship yet on this SHM-SACD release date of Nov. 1st.
    As John Fogerty wrote "Don't you Wish It Was True".
    Fingers still crossed.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

"I thought the boxes are Disk Union, CD Japan is not affiliated with that chain. EBay will have them, there are many great sellers who offer them up." -- eelkiller

Disk Union(DU) is the biggest distributer and publisher in Japan, controlling entire retail business. All major labels (Jpn divisions) Uni, Sony, EMI and Warner are there. Even independent distributers like Pony Conyon and labels like Venus Records and Belle Antique stick to them in the recent time. ('Belle' operates in Japan similar to AF or MoFi in US, by remastering old stuff (mostly Prog titles), or using just done original master and printing them on SHM). 'Venus' is Jazz label. (You can read about them in my comparison test report Gold CD vs. non-Gold (page 17, post # 410):
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/page-17

DU is major manufacturer of the best quality re-sealable outer and fabric or plastic inner sleeve. (If you see bad quality sleeves, it's not DU ones). DU has its own label Arcangelo, producing Mini LP CDs as well.

DU does manufacture Mini LP boxes for all under agreement with labels to use Art Works, they own. Only Warner has never allowed DU to use their artwork to do boxes. (That's why there are no boxes for Purple and Chicago Minis, and Zeppelin and Doors has one box, based not on LP Art Works). This is stupid move, as Homemade Mini LP box makers in Thailand and China taken DU place here. (You even cannot name those homemade boxes "fake", as original boxes are not existed. Also, they honestly warning the buyers that their product is not Japan Promo Box. Their activity drove DU to make in 3-4 times more boxes now then in the early years. As result, market price on the Mini LP boxes has been dropped twice to about $35-40 for Slipcase box and $55-60 for Drawer Style box. There is also one more style of Mini boxes: 2 or 3 in 1 Box Sets.

cdjapan is their online store. However, they very seldom offers the Mini sets in the boxes. Beside that DU distribute the CD and LP to all retailers through entire country and online stores, they also has their own Dealers in Japan and aboard (last ones do not offer the boxes).

Doug Larson is oldest DU dealer in US (prog and classic rock titles):
    http://www.douglarsonimports.com/japanese-mini-lp/

DU has very strong rules how to distribute Mini LP boxes. DU dealers are divided into two kinds: the only Mini LP retailers and only box sets retailers. However, last ones can separate the box set and sell everything separately (sometimes they do). While first ones do not have access to Promo boxes. They are very honest and reliable guys. The price on eBay contains: price, printed on OBI without taxes + eBay fees (13-15%) + PayPal fee (4.5%) + partial or entire shipping cost. They provide bulletproof packaging, way better then cdjapan and even cheaper.
    Shipping to aboard is on of the reason why cdjapan don't want to mess with boxes.

These two guy are to count on for Box Sets first of all (each of them sold more than 20,000 box sets:

http://stores.ebay.com/hawaii-cyber/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=37798795&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

http://stores.ebay.com/Sushi-Sashim...b=3191007&_sid=42626724&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They will have them 100% - they sold out any box set DU made. Uni didn't announced Lennon box yet, only Beach Boys and The Band. They will take preorders in a week or so.

Please learn about Mini LP and DU boxes here:
    http://www.minilps.net/japan-box-etc-authorised/disk-union-box

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    eelkiller, Dok, SteelyTom and 2 others like this.
  22. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

If the John Lennon SHM SACDs are based on the 2010 remasterings, does this mean we will get both the original and the 'stripped down' mixes of 'Double Fantasy'?

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Could be. That's how the download is sold.

Both versions fit on one SACD.

24. Most of these don't have bonus tracks but I do know of a couple that did, the last Free title has a few bonus tacks.