New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

So the new SHM-SACD release of Brothers in Arms has the LP version of "Your Latest Trick" ???

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes because it is from the analog tape made for the LP mastering.

3. jonathan darling

jonathan darling New Member

Yes I agree the bags go in my bin as I ponder what I've done to the resale value ....doesnt matter really as I'm wont be parting with the CDs until I'm six foot under !
    JD

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I picked up Steve's Doors discs a while back (though actually after getting the SACDs). And I only started really going through them in the last couple of weeks, but intensely. What I can say is that after spending these few weeks bouncing back and forth, I'm pretty certain that in every instance Steve's CDs beat the SACDs handily.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A lot of people here agree with you, but I am curious why you chose to post that here. The Doors SACDs are not SHM-SACDs from Japan.

6. KeithH

It has been canceled. I received the notification from CD Japan this morning.

7. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I don't know if we need them after the excellent box set, but here come the Roxy Music studio albums on SHM-SACD.

New Releases (Date: January 28, 2015)

UIGY-9665 Roxy Music - Roxy Music
    UIGY-9666 Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
    UIGY-9667 Roxy Music - Stranded
    UIGY-9668 Roxy Music - Country Life
    UIGY-9669 Roxy Music - Siren
    UIGY-9670 Roxy Music - Manifesto
    UIGY-9671 Roxy Music - Flesh And Blood
    UIGY-9672 Roxy Music - Avalon

According to HMV Japan, these titles will use 2014 DSD Masters based on British original analog masters.

:wave:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. KeithH

Great news! Thanks!

9. Keith do you have Roxy Music Avalon SACD or Gretest Hits SACD and if so, what did you think of those? Happy to see these slated, that's for sure!

10. Just saw that in my inbox too. Damn. DISLIKE!

11. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Me too:
    What an unwelcome e-mail...

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm not Keith but the Avalon SACD is the best version by far.

Don't bother with the Greatest Hits SACD though, it sounds subpar.

dartira and eelkiller like this.
  13. motionoftheocean

The Doors SACDs were discussed in part 1 of this thread.

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Actually, The Doors' hybrid SACDs from Analogue Productions were briefly mentioned there, IIRC...

15. motionoftheocean

which is what I was referring to

16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Sad.

Let's hope the whole Supertramp catalog will be released at later time, like Roxy Music, The Band, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones etc

Starwanderer likes this.
  17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have the Avalon SACD, it's good but can certainly be improved on. It is an analog-to PCM-to DSD transfer.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

And what do those have to do with Universal's SHM-SACDs?..

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

It looks like this SHM-SACD series sells well.. UMG Japan release more titles than ever, just for December/Januar they have 29 new SACDs. :)

20. motionoftheocean

please address your concerns to the user who introduced the SACDs to this discussion in part 1

21. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

The completest in me really regrets most of these releases. I bought the Roxy box set when it came out a couple of years ago but still have had no time to play it outside of the office. Between the S Wilson remixes and the SACD box, I don't need any more Yes, and those Beach Boys are just so short in length for what we have to pay to get them on SHM-SACD. I'd rather MFSL or Audio Fidelity tackle these artists (if anyone) and that this series continue to focus on artists that have been largely neglected in the reissue/hi rez market. That said, I'm most likely to get the Beach Boys and maybe the Roxy series assuming they don't get cancelled before they are issued.

joelee likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think that's only true of the surround mix. AFAIK the stereo mastering would be analog direct to DSD, unless you have information proving otherwise?

That SACD is still the best current version, don't you think?

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, it could be right what you say.

The SACD is good/very good, but it still has that slight "mechanical" and grainy sound. Not much, but still I'm not convinced that a analog tape is spinning behind my speakers when listening, but a "hermetic" version of it.
    The SHM-SACD should be more analog, smooth and creamy with infinite "pixels" in sound.

24. Supertramp Crime of the Century has been announced on Blu-ray audio. In the music direct soundbites new music this week 11/10/14 email. Preorder now, shipping December 9th.
    Perhaps this had something to do with them killing the SHM-SACD?

25. Can someone please provide link to HMV for the January SHM SACD titles? I can never seem to find them when I search and my store of choice, CDJapan is always a few days late to the listing party . . .