New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

No, another post said it looked like the white boxes were being scrapped, but Zenyatta is definitely in a white box. Sounds great. Enjoy!

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Update from Japan for those who are interested in Van Der Graaf Generator's an entire set of 7 studio albums. Each version will come in Pawn Hearts slipcase Promo box on March, 25.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

What's changed? Did they just get rid of the white box?

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

No box, it's pretty much just a mini-LP sleeve.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Sounds like the SHM-CD packaging.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Certainly no longer the last word on packaging.

nesyarug and Spitfire like this.
  7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well didn't that come out before the Lennon and Beach Boys Titles??

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I ratter have the plastic sleeve bag and inner sleeve than those boxes

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I like the box packaging better than the originals. If I also bought the SHM-CD of the same SACD release I could throw it in the sane box together.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Overkill packaging is thankfully gone. Prices are a bit lower and the packaging on the Band titles is beautiful. The last thing I need is a style of packaging that takes additional storage space.

11. floyd

floyd Senior Member

My question about the white boxes was if the titles that had been in the white boxes were still in the white boxes or if they had stopped putting them in those. The more recent shm-sacd titles that don't come in the white box are also about $3 cheaper. One thing I like about the white box is that I just leave the disc in the protective sleeve on the top as you open the box which is nicer than fussing around with the mini sleeves which I like but can be a PITA.

I agree about the space issues though.

bru87tr and Tullman like this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

We need someone to buy it again to determine that, any takers?

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Sorry to jump in the middle of this conversation but are you guys talking about the MOFI Hall & Oates titles or some Japanese SACD releases?

14. floyd

floyd Senior Member

well I did order it just waiting for it to ship. It said ships in 3-5 days when I purchased it now Zenyatta says ships in 2-4 weeks.

eelkiller likes this.
  15. toilet_doctor

Ones it was issued fist and second print - it is a concrete.
    To change the packaging, company needs to change the price, OBI with printed new price, with new bar-code and new CD catalog number.
    This number, unlike fake CDs, is printed on the Disc around the center hole.

Listen to this story:
    In 2007 Steven Wilson cut the deal with Disk Union to release 5 Porcupine Tree titles in Mini LP HQCD + DVD Audio. It was gorgeous but expensive release about $45 a piece, quickly gone OOP. I miss it. Then, less than 2 years ago, they decided to reissue it in the 2CD jewel cases with price down to $36. However, when they counted everything with new booklet and inserts, they decided to leave packaging as it originally was in Mini LP, but with new price. I bought, heavy cardboard with absolutely breathtaking print quality, it's a pleasure just to hold them in hands.
    "Reissue from Porcupine Tree consists of a DVD-Audio disc and HQCD. This series features the following six albums: "Lightbulb Sun," "Fear Of A Blank Planet," "Deadwing," "Stupid Dream," "The Incident," and "In Absentia".

Still available (some of them), not for $36, but for $30.76.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The MFSL SACD is the only one.

hutlock likes this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

That's what I thought. Thanks!

18. floyd

floyd Senior Member

wow. Those sound tempting. I do have the "digi-book" editions of (from that list) Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, as well as the DVD-A discs from all 6 you mention. I thought the "digi-books" were quite nice really but they all have a uniform texture to them, and my vinyl reissues have differing sleeve treatments. I have everything on vinyl except Deadwing and some ep stuff.
    Porcupine Tree does do nice packaging.

What one of the Mini-lps would you recommend for packaging? Are they exactly like the vinyl sleeves?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  19. toilet_doctor

Mini LP are always 1:1 LP: UK for UK bands and US for US bands. Sometime they provided second (another version) empty cover as a bonus. I would buy only one album Deadwing Mini LP HQCD + DVD-A to see and try it. You will compare sound and then decide upon that comparison. Japanese print is almost always better due to Limited Edition with exceptional attention to details. What would sound better 4,000 copies or 400,000 ones? It is QH on the top of that. Digibooks are also limited, but discs are the same throughout of all editions.

To be honest, I wonder how it still is in stock:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/IEZP-57

20. toilet_doctor

P.S. King Crimson 40th An. HQCD+DVD-A is also stunning release by the same label - still available.

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Placed a new order at HMV Jpn:

Roxy Music - Avalon
    The Band - "Brown album"
    The Band - Music from the big pink
    Camel - Moonmadness (15% off)

Really……I can't wait! :p

zappaien and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great choice..... The Band sounds better than the MFSL SACDs!!!

toilet_doctor likes this.
  23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Good! And I understand that Moonmadness SACD maybe is the best there is….? On pair and maybe even better than the best Lp pressing?

I listened to Roxy Music "Avalon" hybrid SACD a week ago, it's pretty good. But in my mind I could imagine how the SHM-SACD maybe will sound with a tight punchy mid-bass and with a unlimited (analogue) soundstage. We'll see….(hear)…..:)

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, the Camel sounds very good....

ponkine and toilet_doctor like this.
  25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

In my top 5 SACD's for sound quality.