New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Have you compared them to the MFSL Gold CD and AF Gold CD?

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

There is no MFSL gold CD for that album.

3. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Well, he highlighted two (2) albums and also wrote SACDs (pluralis).

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Ugh. I recently got around to buying the Mofi SACDs.

5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

What would be your the rest 4?

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Breakfast in America
    Every Picture Tells a Story
    The Singles: 1969-1973
    Deceptive Bends

toilet_doctor likes this.
  7. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Have you changed your mind or something?

On The Band SHM thread on 3rd January, you stated 'I have heard the SHM-SACDs... not bad, but I'm not impressed. I passed....'

8. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

I'm kind of on the fence with these releases as I have the MFSL SACDs. The Brown Album in particular is outstanding and IMO improves on the AF CD so it's interesting to see how the SHM-SACDs can be significantly better.

9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I bought the Band s/t specifically because of the raves in this thread. It just came 30 minutes ago and I can't wait to compare it to the M0Fi SACD later!

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I hope to hear a detailed and objective review.

11. I'm looking for particular stand-outs from the batch of John Lennon SACDs. Other than Imagine, which I have en route.

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I'm very much interested reading how that objective review was done...

:)

Riccardo2 likes this.
  13. toilet_doctor

In audio to change mind is common and normal thing. If you listened to not at the comfort set up or someone took your attention away, you can get wrong impression first, then tried again later on and changed your mind.

If person is letting us know that he changed his mind and has different opinion now, we have to only appreciate that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  14. toilet_doctor

Thank you for that:

Supertramp Breakfast in America
    Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells a Story
    Carpenters The Singles: 1969-1973
    10 cc Deceptive Bends
    Camel Moonmadness

Please guys. Who is ready for his top 5 SHM-SACD?

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, I did. I heard not all... and my first review came from my first listening. I prefer the SHM-SACDs on the first two albums, on the others I like the MFSL better. My impression after a few listening sessions.

16. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear will look dumb without their gatefold covers :(
    I hope Universal will go back at least to providing replica G/F covers if not the boxes.

17. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Sounds like we might be due for a "Best of SHM-SACDs" thread update. I enjoy your list.

18. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Moonmadness is something special. Should be 15% extra.

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

A guy at a norwegian audio/music forum posted today that the MFSL SACDs was pretty good, but the SHM-SACDs sounded significant better. So he agreed with you.

20. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I'm keen to get the Roxy ones. In the end I ordered half of them to try them out. I left Avalon, since I have the original, and the three I don't much care for - Stranded, Country Life and Siren. If the ones I've ordered prove worth it I'll pick up the rest, but I'm finding the quality of the sound isn't as reliable anymore on many of these releases to just leap in blind. Also gone for the remaining Stevie Wonders I don't have as I thought FFF was actually pretty nice.

21. toilet_doctor

"Yeah, now we're getting a slightly over-sized mini lp (no gatefold) with a plastic outer jacket and a plastic slip cover for the cd. Pretty lousy package". -- Tullman.

Phaedra will be Phaedra and Rubicon will be Rubicon in gate-fold covers 135x135mm replica of original LPs. Nothing over-sized, if compare to Sony Jeff Beck SACD or Warner Yes SACDs 7" Mini LP (replica).

By the way, I have them all and they are absolutely stunning, 7" has enough room for Japanese to show their outstanding printing qualities and craftsmanship.

22. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I would love to have those 7" mini LP covers but if the G/F covers are provided with Phaedra etc. I will be satisfied. Can't wait to take them in my hands and put them in the player...

toilet_doctor likes this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I listened to The Band s/t three times over the weekend. Twice on my stereo and once with my cans (Audeze LCD-2 Fazor). I have to agree with the raves. The SHM is easily better than the MoFi. If you're familiar with what a good SHM sounds like it could almost be called their house sound. Everything is cleaned up. Each individual instrument is so much more distinct.
    I always use the word delicate when a SHM is done right. It really stands out with the acoustic guitar. At times I could hear individual strings. Was Levon using nylon strings? I could make them out! I've heard this album hundreds of times before but this is the first, second and third time I've actually heard it.
    The bass wasn't as deep as the Mofi, but it was also a lot less bloated. I always thought the MoFi was a great sounding SACD, but it sounds muddy compared to the SHM.

I'm actually blown away by this thing and added Big Pink to a standing order at CDJapan. I hope I don't wind up replace all my other Band MoFi's.

.:bigeek:

Lucidae likes this.
  24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Thanks for your impressions. I wonder if they found a better tape for this reissue.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Judging by the reviews it sounds like they did.