New Show on AMC - Halt and Catch Fire - Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I thought she was crying in the airplane because Gordon said maybe they could try to have another kid and she naturally thought of the abortion she had (which Gordon still doesn't know about). Which leads me to why I found season two less interesting...that sort of plot development might belong to a soap. I enjoyed the main focus on the race to building the computer in season one a whole lot more (and the effect it had on the characters)...along with Joe's machinations and manipulative behavior.

I found the juxtaposition of Cameron's small start up struggling for funds against Joe's immediate success in getting $10M in venture capital quite interesting and bodes well for season three. It looked like he beat them to California and was already in San Francisco. Was that where he was at the end of the season finale?

minerwerks likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I forgot about the abortion, that could be. I guess we'll see. Donna's my favorite character on the show, so I don't like to think of her using Gordon if she's already made up her mind. I did enjoy this season more than S1. I didn't mind the main storyline of Cardiff trying to build the computer. It was mainly the Joe - Cameron relationship. I find her very unlikable and him almost as bad. And the two of them together always struggling for the upper hand just became a chore to sit through. I like that this season kept them apart and not interacting with each other most of the time.

And yeah, I think in that end scene Joe is already in California.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like the show, but I just don't buy all the software etc. developments and implementations. I like many of the characters and situations. . . but it's very unreal seeming to me (and "Austin" never seemed like Austin).

I'll still give season 3 a chance.

4. agentalbert

When did the show take place in Austin? I thought Cardiff Electronics was in Dallas. And since Donna and Gordon regularly drover over to Mutiny, that had to be in Dallas as well. The Wiki page on the show says it takes place on the "silicon prairie of Texas", which refers to the Dallas and Ft. Worth northern suburbs.

5. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Joe and Sara lived in Austin, although I don't recall any exteriors. Maybe that's what he was talking about

6. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I have a feeling you're gonna hate S3

7. Lonson

Didn't seem like Dallas or Austin to me.

8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Well, it does take place in the 80s and to be honest, the show doesn't really show the surrounding areas all that much.

9. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Has season 3 been confirmed? I thought it was up in the air.

10. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

I hope it does get renewed. Nothing confirmed yet.

rockclassics and Scope J like this.
  11. agentalbert

I lived in Grapevine, which is a suburb north of Dallas, and the homes in the neighborhood Donna and Gordon lived in looked very similar to a lot of what I saw. The show never made a point of showing any Dallas or Ft. Worth landmarks though.

I don't know about hate. I just hope it comes back. I didn't think there would be a season 2, but I'm very glad we got it.

12. Lonson

I lived in Austin from October '80 til May '13 and visited Dallas often enough. Just didn't seem to resonate with either area for me, or catch the vibe of the people. But that's really only a problem for me as I had that Texas experience.

It was an okay show, but its implausible use of technological discoveries and over the top business techniques just didn't suck me in.

13. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

As far as the feeling of a place being transmitted through a Movie or TV show, I usually get more of that when there is really strong "On location" shooting. "Mad Men" felt more like a time than a place- I have lived in Dobbs Ferry and have worked in NYC- Mad Men did'nt make me think its just like that or oh yea I remember this building or corner. Likewise, "Halt and catch fire" reminds more of a time than a place. As far as acting Bosworth was the only one who I thought was believably Texan, the rest could be from anywhere (and I'm actually not sure if most the characters are supposed to be natives or transients). The show has a small following but it also has its shortcomings, I'd like to see them ramp it up a little all the way around for third season, might as well toss a coin on whether the show will go on.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too.

Scope J likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any word on S03 ?

16. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Doesn't look like a decision has been made yet, this is from an interview posted yesterday on Deadline with the AMC CEO:

DEADLINE:
    Have you decided yet whether to renew
    Halt And Catch Fire?
    SAPAN: No, we’re evaluating it. We really are.

DEADLINE:When do you expect to have a decision?
    SAPAN: We just finished [the season] so we’ll look at all the data and will make determinations as we always do about its longevity and its possibilities. We think it was creatively strong.

Full interview here: http://deadline.com/2015/08/amc-networks-josh-sapan-tv-challenges-1201502408/

Scope J likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

thanks

Steve-oh likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

?

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

It has been announced that its been renewed, not that that means much these days, they could still cancel at any time...

Scope J likes this.
  21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I finally got around to watching Argo last night and was surprised to see Gordon and Donna Clark. I guess Scott McNairy and Kerry Bishe decided they had the 80s look down and wanted to keep it going.

Chad

22. agentalbert

Season 3 stars tomorrow night with two episodes. Apparently the show is on Tuesday's now each week. Apparently AMC aired the first hour last night, but I didn't notice. Season 3 takes place in 1986 and has the characters all relocated to California.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even think it had gotten renewed for a third season. Hope it's good.

24. agentalbert

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

If you missed the first two episodes tonight they are reshowing both starting at 11.00 pm ET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.