New Showtime series Chi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I see it being compared to The Wire quite a bit. It's no Wire but it's pretty darn good.

3. sberger

I can understand the comparison, but it's lazy to do that. But I'm very impressed with the first 2 episodes. Smart and watchable.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Surprised this isn't getting more attention. This is smart television. Telling a compelling story.

forthlin likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It's a great show! While it's understandable to compare it to the Wire, I did, all that did was slam the point home about what a masterpiece the Wire is! But the Chi is one of the best 'new' shows from Showtime!

6. Chris from Chicago

Agreed. It's the best new drama from Showtime in recent memory.

7. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I get The Wire comparisons, but it really is quite different.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Never watched The Wire but The Chi is good and getting more interesting with each episode.

9. adlerjf

adlerjf Forum Resident

Like it very much, as well......a compelling story, so far. Anybody else crack up when Kevin is on-screen? He reminds me of a young Chris Rock - or maybe 'm thinking of "Everybody Hates Chris".

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This is a really good show. I find it helps a lot to have subtitles or closed captioning. Some of the characters are hard to understand, especially the kids when they're all together..

11. Chris from Chicago

Something cool I noticed. Completely insignificant to those that don't live here. But there are so many small details about this show that get it right. From the brand of milk they drink in school. To the division the neighborhood high school plays in. This show actually feels like it's happening in Chicago.

dgstrat likes this.
  12. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

Loving this show. It does make me think about The Wire - especially when Kima Greggs is on screen.

13. Chris from Chicago

Watching this show tenses me up. It's pretty intense.

14. Chris from Chicago

Really surprised this show isn't getting more traction.

Don't mean to be redundant. But this show feels like it takes place in Chicago. All of the little details they're getting right. It only stands out because so many "made in Chicago" shows seem to not really be made here. I'm rooting for these people. Well... some of them. Even if they are flawed.

15. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

It gets better every episode. I'm completely invested in all the characters.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The counterpoint storytelling style is really effective. What's happening on the criminal side of the tale vs. the coming of age in the hood story of the kids seem to carry equal weight.

17. Chris from Chicago

What a satisfying ending. I told my wife before episode 10 started that i thought the real bad guy was the hairy cop.

Looks like a whole new power structure for the neighborhood drug dealers.

And is it me, or did young Papa steal every scene he was in?

I thought Ronnie was going to be the bad guy, he turned out to be one of the good ones.

Good storytelling.

Scotian likes this.
  18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

An excellent series. Highly recommended.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Season started off strong and and truly seemed to get better with each episode!

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Hasn't been mentioned yet, the music was outstanding throughout the series! Hope a soundtrack record's in the works!

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Anyone watching season 2?

22. sberger

I am, and enjoying it.

23. Chris from Chicago

Yes. And I'm really enjoying it. I liked it a lot last season. But the drama seems to be amped up a bit this season. And they continue to get all of the little details right. Like local brands.

But wasn't there a mobster in season 1 that isn't in this season? Brother of the guy who owned the chicken store? The guy that took residence next store to the thugs? What happened to him and his story?

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I mentioned that to my wife. It's like the actor didn't come back so they just cancelled that storyline.

25. sberger

You're referring to Quentin, and evidently he's no more. In episode 2 this year, the new boss, Douda, tells Reg that Quentin is "gone". And that's all we get. Which is too bad because I really liked him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.