New Simon & Garfunkel Sony Legacy LP Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel S, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident Thread Starter

The whole Simon & Garfunkel 5-LP catalog has been reissued now by Sony Legacy. I guess this is to coincide with Paul Simon's farewell tour. Does anybody have one? Was it digitally sourced? Who remastered it? So many questions....

Ordinarily, I'd have little hope for a reissue with so few details, but Sony Legacy did nice work with other reissues, including the Janis Joplin LP boxset.

Couldn't even find a press release. Here's the page listing for Bridge Over Troubled Water from Elusive Disc:

Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water 180g LP-Elusive Disc

2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Curious too...

3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Bump! Anyone have one of these, or have a link to review?

4. Joel S

The S&G Sony Legacy Box Set got good reviews, and I read was remastered from analog tapes. I assume they used the same lacquers when pressing the solo lp's, but Idk.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Digital step on those but they sound fine. Probably would go with originals or even the Sundazed /QRP pressings for the titles they did. Obviously MFSL one step for BOTW.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I bought the Sundazed version of "Bookends" several years ago when they pressed at Quality, and per usual with that plant it's off-center and slightly warped. I've thought about repurchasing now that Sundazed uses a different plant, but now I'm not sure if I should choose the Columbia or Sundazed pressing.

dan c

7. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

For less than the price of a reissue one should be able to find 2-eye OG pressings in NM condition.

8. Joel S

Sundazed is 140 grams, I think. Columbia is 180gr, if that's a concern for you.

9. The Dane

The Dane Forum Resident

Any knowledge about who did the mastering?

10. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Three of the S & G studio albums I have are originals (Sounds, Parsley, and Bridge). The most expensive one of the bunch cost me $9.00.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If this is the box set mastering from 3 years ago it is Ryan K Smith IIRC. Digital source from the master tapes (when and if they survive). Last Sundazed cuts I had pressed at QRP were KG I believe (source unknown). Originals aren't expensive but I remember spending some effort finding clean 60s and 70s UK vinyl especially BOTW.

The Dane likes this.
  12. The Dane

The Dane Forum Resident

Thanks. He is one of the good ones IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.