New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not begrudging them the right to play some new material, but the whole new album would be a mistake, IMO.

2. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Honestly I don't feel the love for, or loss of, Mel that others seemingly do.

DTK likes this.
  3. Dave 81828384

I'm assuming its like the 2013 tour. 19 or 20 songs total, 2 or 3 from Big music, depending on the night.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Me neither, but I would prefer they get him back, or a new real drummer, for musical reasons. The winter tour was a semi-disaster. Cherisse is a percussionist, not a drummer.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The new album is strong enough to warrant 4-5 songs IMO, especially if setlist is 22 songs counting encores.

6. Dave 81828384

What I can't figure out is that after Jim calling him "the greatest drummer in the world" on multiple tours, he was left out. Maybe he will be on this tour.

DTK likes this.
  7. Dave 81828384

Oddly enough 1 of the songs they played both in Montreal and Toronto was Let the Day Begin (the other being Broken Glass Park). They only played Blood Diamonds in Montreal.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mel was left out before, notably after recording Street Fighting Years (which he only plays on part of), but then he played on the tour.
    Then he was out after the Real Life tour and joined for touring Neapolis. Then he was out again until 2002.
    Probably both personal and musical reasons we don't know about.
    He will probably be back.

9. Dave 81828384

Well thats a bit of a mess... :laugh:

I was trying to say that last tour they played 2 new songs in Toronto (Broken Glass Park and Let the Day Begin) while in Montreal they also played Blood Diamonds.

I'm just trying to assuage the fear that they will play all of Walk Between Worlds.

10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I thought long and hard on that one, while I understand why you feel this way I guess I'd prefer him back. I can't explain some of the absences for sure but I have a hard time getting out of the "band" dynamic. I can't think of another instance where a band has a guy like this that really seems in the band but comes and goes.

Dave 81828384 and DTK like this.
  11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Well, we scored VIP seats for the sound check...........but only because my pre sale code wouldn't work at all for the regular seats and for some reason, VIP seating did work without a code. I don't get it. My wife suggested I find a cargo plane in need of a pilot that just happens to be making the old "Poland to Reno and back" route in order to save on airfare now. :sigh:

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting - I wouldn’t be opposed the acoustic version of “Honest Town” I caught on You Tube recently. It was lovely, and “Spirited Away” would be welcome too.

From WBW I am hoping they play at least the title track and “The Signal and The Noise”.

Radical347 and Dave 81828384 like this.
  13. Dave 81828384

:laugh:

14. Dave 81828384

Going to look for that. :)

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I know the Acoustic album was not loved on this forum, but I did enjoy it for a change of pace.

I think the Honest Town version I liked was from the Rome gig on Acoustic Live tour, and it made me wish they had recorded that track for the parent album.

Havoc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  16. Dave 81828384

I've just started 5X5 Live. I'm in the mood for some live Simple Minds for some reason. :)

mrbiggs and JeffMo like this.
  17. Dave 81828384

Didn't expect to listen to all 2 hrs 19 min of 5X5 tonight but couldn't stop. Can't wait for the tour regardless of who's playing. :cheers:

mrbiggs, JeffMo and DTK like this.
  18. Dave 81828384

Man I should stop drinking, just bought tickets for the Toronto show too. :laugh:

Havoc likes this.
  19. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

It’s not likely. They stated that the 7 shows in Europe February was a limited run to promote their new album, and that they *specifically* were going to play it in its entirety on the tour.

20. Radical347

Would love to hear The Signal and the Noise again. Everything else from the new album I'd rather they not replace tracks from their previous catalogue with, although if they must play a few others then the title track or Sense of Discovery would be fine. Preferrably no Utopia, Magic or Summer, but as long as they don't play Dirty Old Town I won't be upset.

JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  21. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Got my ticket for LA in October!!!

22. Radical347

Got my tickets! Milwaukee (4th row center -- not from VIP so really lucked out with these), Denver (VIP package with front row!), Reno (Mezzanine, 2nd row) and finally SF (Balcony, 1st row.)

16 years between each major US tour divided by 4 shows averages out to 4 years per gig. :p

JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  23. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Looking very much like the lineup will not change for the world tour. That's fine, I'd prefer Mel and Andy as they bring a larger sound but the gals and Gordy are fine. Looking forward to October, I have a line on a co-pilot slot out to Sacramento that week so I'm not in as much trouble now. Maybe I can enjoy things a little bit even.

Surly likes this.
  24. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

It really is a monster of a live album from a great tour.

I wonder if they'll ever do a "1990s lost years" tour - Charlie in a bunch of really bad shirts, tracks only from Good News, Neapolis, Our Secrets Are The Same, Derek Forbes occasionally wandering on stage and then immediately leaving, and each gig finishes with Jim packing his bags and getting on an Easyjet flight to Italy..

25. Dave 81828384

Made me laugh big time :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.