Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would be surprised if they'll be selling the CD three or four years from now. If you're reading this and you want the disc, I'd recommend just buying it now. It's not a Limited Edition release but that doesn't mean it will be available forever.

Simon A likes this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I must confess some of the tracks on this set that I'd put in the "must hear" category are not at all on the basis of Sinatra's vocals. The Slim Gaillard track where they perform "Cement Mixer" is amazing because of the introduction and the extraordinary audience reaction. :cool:

MMM and Bob F like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My point was that it won't be difficult to obtain—now. (I.e.,"... may be ordered online.") I have no idea how long the CD will be available from the Smithsonian, but museum shop items have a lengthy shelf life.

I doubt the price will decrease any time soon, so there is no reason to delay purchase for the prospect of future savings. If anything, eBay speculators will probably snap up a lot of these in the hope it will go OOP soon.

bozburn likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Any speculators snapping up a lot of these will certainly go OOB soon! :D

D.B. likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

All this talk about the new box set inspired me to pull out my copy of the 2-disc The V-Discs: Columbia Years: 1943-45 set. There are some real gems there.

Simon A likes this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Speaking words of wisdom, Buy It Now, oooh... ;)

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I love that set to bits!

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I just heard a BBC2 documentary on the set. They played a clip from To Be Perfectly Frank and it sounded as though it was juiced with reverb. Maybe it was my imagination, but I truly hope they did not do that to these precious TBPF recordings.

MMM likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I can assure you, we added no reverb to anything, Paul.

Re TO BE PERFECTLY FRANK, "I've Got the World On a String" had slap echo on it to begin with. The other tracks we've included from this show do not.

The GUEST STAR tracks just before it on the set - "Why Try To Change Me Now" and "Birth of the Blues" - also had slap echo on them originally, though otherwise sound fabulous.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OK, thanks. I don't seem to remember there being echo on the TBPF boots...but I haven't played them in awhile and they are not from the best sounding sources. Great to have them all professionally cleaned up.

That BB2 program is fabulous BTW and really is a great preview for anyone prior to their 1st listing of the set:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06prs1m

Bob F, Tina_UK and MMM like this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If anyone is waiting for an ImportCDs delivery: Mine just arrived. Trackng shows that they shipped on release-day Friday; arrived at my local post office on Monday; delivered Tuesday. No complaints with ImportCDs, and I saved $12+ over what an Amazon pre-order would have cost.

D.B., paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  12. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Same thing for me. No complaints here!

D.B. likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Paul, I'm surprised that you of all people have not commented on the photo of the Hoboken Four on pages 4–5 of the book... Your favorite gripe. Do you see it? :D

Also, the name of one of the members of The Hoboken Four is misspelled in the notes for Disc 1, Track 1. Should be Pat Principe (not Principle).

[Note: Mention of these mistakes is not intended as criticism, but just to set the record straight.]

It's nice to have this complete, unedited version of "S-H-I-N-E," but I'm surprised that Major Bowes' intro "interview" with Frank and the group was cut. It can be heard on the CD which came with 1995 editions of Nancy Sinatra's book, Frank Sinatra: An American Legend.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Bob, with a running time of 9 seconds below the disc's maximum, it became a matter or what to keep and what to remove. Originally, "Shine" was expected to need a length of time like what has been familiar. However, once we put up the lacquer, heard the complete performance (and improved sound) it contained, there was no time for a sundae at Jimmy's father's ice cream parlor. Considering that material is available elsewhere, the decision was made not to lose anything previously unreleased (or any music, period) from the set. The unedited performance was quite exciting to discover.

D.B., CBackley, supermd and 4 others like this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ Perfectly understandable, Martin. Thanks for the explanation.

D.B., Simon A and MMM like this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Bob,
    Thanksgiving Day is the unveiling. I quickly skimmed thru the booklet. Too many small pics for my taste/vision. Will respond later on it all. Thanks for the "warning"!

Bob F and DABarrios like this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see this release as more of a historic item as opposed to a sonic thriller.

18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I still get the feeling that once you've been thoroughly wined and turkeyed that you'll still dig the set quite a bit. Enjoy the unveiling! :)

MMM likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This set would look really nice as a vinyl release in a handsome box set (8 LPs?) with a nice vinyl-sized booklet and vintage labels on the records.

I suppose it might not see enough copies at the price point they'd have to sell it at to make it profitable. :(

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Smithsonian Lost & Found disc is gong to take 3 to 4 weeks for delivery? Where are they shipping it from, Mars?!

rod likes this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. See: —> Sinatra on Columbia

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah, a new Sinatra thread to read! :) Thanks, Bob!

23. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I love the labels. I always enjoy when special issues like this give us a peek at the stuff that happens inside the production process, as these labels do.

Smartin62 and MMM like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

IQUOTE="Simon A, post: 13376733, member: 9238"]I still get the feeling that once you've been thoroughly wined and turkeyed that you'll still dig the set quite a bit. Enjoy the unveiling! :)[/QUOTE]
    Simon, I already really like it even though I have yet to play a CD. What I have heard online assures me that I will be very pleased. It's just that I have not been a huge fan of Mr.S on radio. I have a feeling that will change soon.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Simon A and MMM like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, Paul. I agree. To have all those great pics and have to shove them into a postcard sized booklet is almost criminal. I know it all has to do with budgets, etc. and it IS the music that we are all craving here. Still, long gone (seemingly) are the days of the big box sets with lavish books accompanying them. :sigh: