Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Martin, despite what I can say about the size of the product and the booklet (which is healthy criticism and should not be taken as a put down at all) I did notice the labels and thought immediately of the Big Blue Box and said to myself "This one is gonna be good!"

Simon A and MMM like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

What I would like to see are full-sized web versions of the graphics, including captions and sources. Just a suggestion to pass on to Chuck and/or the Legacy folks.

paulmock likes this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh! What a GREAT thought, Bob.

Imagine this...playing the CD's on your main sound system, relaxing and using your iPad or laptop to link onto the liner notes complete with the full sized photos, credits, etc. That brings us right back full-circle to the old days when we'd play the LP and hold the jacket in hand a read the liner notes, etc. or just gaze at the great cover shot. :love:

Beaneydave, scoredaddy and Bob F like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

None of the radio recordings featured on A Voice On The Air or Lost & Found were released commercially at the time/around the time they were recorded, right?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No. All were for some form of radio use only then.

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They are all RADIO performances, so of course, the actual recordings of these tracks were not released commercially. However, many of the SONGS were on records of the day, some with alternate arrangements from the ones heard here.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, that's what I thought based on what I've read. :)

8. Just received my copy!

I like the way it has been carefully compiled and assembled together. It offers a thoroughly unique and rewarding listening experience, not to mention an important historical context. You have to love some of those old ads. I have absolutely nothing comparable in my collection to date so this is an extremely satisfying purchase. I have also now received A Voice In Time but that might have to stay in the wrapper for a few days yet!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    MMM likes this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    DmitriKaramazov, paulmock and MMM like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

This question may be answered, but I haven't had time to read the entire thread.

How many tracks are from To Be Perfectly Frank, the 15-minute radio program Sinatra did in 1953? which songs are they? the piano songs or the quartet songs? is any information provided on the date of the recordings and who the musicians are?

11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I once emailed Mosaic Records, begging them to release the TBPF and the Bobbi shows in a box-set, ala the Crosby Radio Transcriptions box. By the way, that Crosby box is one of my favorite box sets ever.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I posted the above in response to Bob on Monday. Just a few minutes ago, I received notification from The Smithsonian to order the CD. :rolleyes:

:)

Bob F likes this.
  13. Richard--W

The songs recorded for To Be Perfectly Frank are breakthroughs in vocals and arrangements for Sinatra. He's finally getting to do the things Columbia wouldn't let him do. This is the voice he will shortly be using in his first recording sessions at Capitol that will result in Songs For Young Lovers, Swing Easy and In the Wee Small Hours, only it's more spontaneous and raw. The two or three recording sessions for To Be Perfectly resulted in 70-odd tracks, and many are among the best vocal performances Sinatra gave during that decade.

Evidently, an authorized source has been found for the recordings and the rights issues cleared up, or some would not be included in this box-set. So it is possible to release the entire song list from the program. In view of the quality of the performances and their historical importance, releasing them in their entirety should be a priority in Sinatra's 100th year.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Five tracks are from TBPF. Booklet notes:
    • To Be Perfectly Frank Show Opening: Walking and Whistlin’ the Blues
      Unidentified announcer; Bob Smith, slide whistle & sound effects
      I’ve Got the World on a String
      FS with Nonet feat. Graham Forbes, piano — rec. 9/22/53
    • I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm
      FS with quintet feat. Graham Forbes, piano — rec. 11/20/53
    • A Hundred Years from Today
      FS with the Sinatra Symphonette quartet feat. Graham Forbes, piano & celeste — rec. 11/17/53
    • This Can’t Be Love
      FS with quintet feat. Graham Forbes, piano — rec. 11/20/53
    • Them There Eyes
      FS with quintet feat. Graham Forbes, piano — rec. 12/15/53
      To Be Perfectly Frank Closing: Walkin’ and Whistlin’ the Blues
      Eddie King (announcer); Bob Smith, slide whistle & sound effects

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Did I not say "within milliseconds," Keith? :D

16. Richard--W

Thanks, Bob F. for taking the time to assemble those details here.

So it's no longer a mystery when those tracks were recorded or who the musicians are. I wish they'd tell us the rest of it. Like many Sinatra fans I've been hoping for an official release of To Be Perfectly Frank. I want to hear the songs he recorded in the studio for the program apart from the broadcast, which was a kind of "latest hits parade" format. I think everybody would like to hear them. What a terrific 3-cd set they would make.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hey Sony/Legacy people, are you listening? We want more of this stuff. :)

mike s in nyc likes this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is it true that the sound quality of these tracks is very good?

19. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

My drone is back from DC...with the CD. Am I first...to be complete....again?

MMM likes this.
  20. Richard--W

Very good to excellent on the Sandy Hook CD's, which were sourced from Armed Service platters sent to radio stations in Germany. Too much surface noise, however. The sessions were professionally recorded at the TV studio. No doubt a studio source will sound as clean and clear as a Capitol recording.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sorry Ron, in all fairness, LeeP got his CD at the source so therefore he is 1st. Just as you have been in the past when going to brick-and-mortar stores, etc. to get your copies.

22. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

But was he complete?....like I am...now.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The same is also available on Spotify.

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ron, No one could EVER be as you are now! :cool:

MarkusGermany, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  25. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

OK.

I just finished listening to all four discs. The music is quite wonderful (really great!) but........ the packaging is bloody awful, The discs are NOT easy to remove from the cheap crappy cardboard slots. I have put each disc in a plastic sleeve to protect it but the box and packaging is, IMHO, a big disappointment.

Again, the music is great but the presentation is not up to the musics standard...