Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Track listings of the box set, as currently shown at Amazon UK (not including the 12 surprise bonus tracks):

Disc 1
    1. Vintage Radio Tuning In / Major Bowes' Show Opening / S-H-I-N-E - The Hoboken Four
    2. Fred Allen introduces Frank Sinatra and the Four Sharps / Exactly Like You - The Four Sharps / Fred Allen
    3. Moon Love - Frank Sinatra with Harry James and His Orchestra
    4. Fame and Fortune Show Opening: I'm Getting Sentimental Over You / Marie - Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
    5. Deep Night - Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
    6. Ruth Lowe Interview / I'll Never Smile Again / Fame and Fortune Show Opening: I'm Getting Sentimental Over You - Frank Sinatra / Tommy Dorsey, Horace Heidt & Ruth Lowe / Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & his Orchestra and the Pied Pipers
    7. Frenesi - Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & his Orchestra and the Pied Pipers
    8. Carnaval de Broadway Opening: I'm Getting Sentimental Over You / The One I Love - Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & his Orchestra and the Pied Pipers
    9. Say It / Carnaval de Broadway Closing: I'm Getting Sentimental Over You - Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
    10. She's Funny That Way - Frank Sinatra with David Broekman & the Treasury Ensemble
    11. I Don't Believe in Rumors - Frank Sinatra with David Broekman & the Treasury Ensemble
    12. Medley: I'll String Along with You / As Time Goes By - Frank Sinatra with Lyn Murray & his Orchestra
    13. That Old Black Magic - Frank Sinatra with Walter Gross & His Orchestra
    14. I Heard You Cried Last Night - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    15. For Me and My Gal - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    16. Moonlight Mood - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    17. There Are Such Things - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    18. Broadway Bandbox Show Opening / All or Nothing at All (orchestral) - Frank Sinatra with Raymond Scott & His Orchestra
    19. My Heart Stood Still - Frank Sinatra with Raymond Scott & His Orchestra
    20. The Right Kind of Love - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    21. Close to You - Frank Sinatra with Raymond Paige & his Orchestra
    22. As Time Goes By - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    23. It's De-Lovely - Frank Sinatra & Milton Berle with Raymond Scott & His Orchestra
    24. Nature's Remedy Commercial - Fred Cole
    Disc 2
    1. Songs by Sinatra Show Opening: This Love of Mine / Paper Doll - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers / Frank Sinatra & Everett Clark with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers
    2. Kiss Me Again - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers
    3. If Loveliness Were Music - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers
    4. Lover Come Back to Me / Songs by Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers / Frank Sinatra & Everett Clark with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra and the Bobby Tucker Singers
    5. My Heart Tells Me - Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    6. My Ideal - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    7. News Bulletin / Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower Briefing / President Franklin D. Roosevelt Address of D-Day (Excerpts) / Music for Millions Introduction & Buy a Piece of the Peace - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra / Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower & President Franklin D. Roosevelt
    8. Frank Sinatra D-Day Announcement / The Frank Sinatra Show Opening: This Love of Mine / Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra / Frank Sinatra with Mark Warnow & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    9. Frank Sinatra Commentary on Special D-Day Broadcast / America the Beautiful - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra / Frank Sinatra
    10. Frank Sinatra Dedication to Canadian Soliders at Rockcliffe Hospital, Ontario / I'll Be Seeing You (Rehearsal) - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    11. Frank Sinatra Dedication to Soldiers at Halloran Hospital, Staten Island, NY / The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    12. It Had to Be You - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    13. Don't Fence Me In - Frank Sinatra & Eileen Barton with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    14. Lonely Love - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    15. Long Ago and Far Away - Frank Sinatra with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
    16. Songs by Sinatra Opening: Night and Day / Aren't You Glad You're You - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    17. It Might as Well be Spring - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    18. Birthday Greetings for Frank Sinatra's 30th Birthday / Frank Sinatra introduces June Hutton / Button Up Your Overcoat - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    19. Day by Day - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    20. Lily Belle - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    21. Ol' Man River / Songs by Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away - Frank Sinatra, June Hutton & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    22. Comedy Sketch: The Battle of the Century - Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope & Bing Crosby
    23. Songs by Sinatra Old Gold "Yankee Doodle Dandy" Commercial - Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    24. The Frank Sinatra Show Vimms Vitamin Commercial - Frank Sinatra
    25. Songs by Sinatra Max Factor Commercial - Frank Sinatra
    Disc 3
    1. Songs by Sinatra Show Opening: Night and Day / I'm an Old Cowhand / Tumblin' Tumbleweeds - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    2. Along the Navajo Trail - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    3. Frank Sinatra Introduction to "Home on the Range" / Home on the Range - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    4. Frank Sinatra Introduces Louisiana Gov. Jimmie Davis / You Are My Sunshine - Frank Sinatra & Gov. Jimmie Davis with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    5. Frank Sinatra introduces Nat "King" Cole / Exactly Like You - Frank Sinatra with Nat "King" Cole & the King Cole Trio
    6. Frank Sinatra introduces Slim Gaillard / Cement Mixer (Put-ti Put-ti) - Frank Sinatra & Slim Gaillard with the Slim Gaillard Trio / Frank Sinatra & Slim Gaillard
    7. You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me - Frank Sinatra & Peggy Lee with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    8. I Only Have Eyes for You - Frank Sinatra & Benny Goodman with the Benny Goodman Sextet
    9. You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    10. Don't Forget Tonight Tomorrow - Frank Sinatra & The Pied Pipers with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    11. Sweet Lorraine - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    12. Personality - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    13. Who's Sorry Now? - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    14. Don't Marry That Girl - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    15. A Salute to Al Jolson Show Opening & George Jessel Introduces Frank Sinatra / Rock-a-Bye Your Baby - Frank Sinatra with Morris Stoloff & his Orchestra
    16. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    17. These Foolish Things (parody) - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    18. (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    19. Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better) - Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante & Garry Moore with Roy Bargy & his Orchestra
    20. Frank Sinatra Introduces Irving Berlin / Alexander's Ragtime Band - Frank Sinatra & Irving Berlin with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra / Frank Sinatra & Irving Berlin
    21. Help Me to Help My Neighbor / Irving Berlin Commentary on Frank Sinatra Winning the Jefferson Award - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra / Irving Berlin
    22. Frank Sinatra Introduces Johnny Mercer / Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - Frank Sinatra & Johnny Mercer with Axel Stordahl & his Orchestra
    23. Your Hit Parade Show Opening: Lucky Day / (It's Going to Be A) Great Day - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    24. I Wish I Didn't Love You So - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    25. Take Me Out to the Ball Game - Frank Sinatra & Doris Day with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    26. There's No Business Like Show Business - Frank Sinatra & Doris Day with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    27. Serenade of the Bells - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    28. Frank Sinatra Receives the Moden Screen Ed Sullivan Award nad the 1946 "Radio Father of the Year Award" / Come Rain or Come Shine - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    29. Songs by Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    Disc 4
    1. Haunted Heart - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    2. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & His Orchestra
    3. I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    4. Nature Boy - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    5. Little White Lies - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    6. On a Slow Boat to China - Frank Sinatra with Axel Stordahl & The Hit Parade Orchestra
    7. Light Up Time Show Opening: Lucky Day / It All Depends on You - Frank Sinatra with Johnny Green & his Orchestra
    8. Some Enchanted Evening - Frank Sinatra & Dorothy Kirsten with Johnny Green & his Orchestra
    9. Full Moon and Empty Arms - Frank Sinatra & Dorothy Kirsten with Jeff Alexander & his Orchestra
    10. It's Only a Paper Moon - Frank Sinatra with Ziggy Elman & his Orchestra
    11. Mad About You - Frank Sinatra with Ziggy Elman & his Orchestra
    12. A Fine Romance - Frank Sinatra & Dorothy Kirsten with Ziggy Elman & his Orchestra
    13. Dean Martin introduces Frank Sinatra / I've Got a Crush on You - Frank Sinatra with Dick Stabile & His Orchestra / Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra
    14. Why Try to Change Me Now - Frank Sinatra with Harry Sosnik & the Savings Bond Orchestra
    15. Birth of the Blues - Frank Sinatra with Harry Sosnik & the Savings Bond Orchestra
    16. To Be Perfectly Frank Show Opening: Walking and Whistlin' the Blues / I've Got the World on a String - Frank Sinatra with quintet accompaniment feat. Grahmam Forbes / Frank Sinatra with the Sinatra Symphonette feat. Bill Miller
    17. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Frank Sinatra with quintet accompaniment feat. Grahmam Forbes
    18. A Hundred Years from Today - Frank Sinatra with quartet accompaniment feat. Graham Forbes
    19. This Can't Be Love - Frank Sinatra with quintet accompaniment feat. Grahmam Forbes
    20. Them There Eyes / To Be Perfectly Frank Closing: Walkin' and Whistlin' the Blues - Frank Sinatra with quintet accompaniment feat. Grahmam Forbes
    21. The Frank Sinatra Show Opening: Young at Heart / Tenderly - Frank Sinatra with Graham Forbes
    22. Hello, Young Lovers - Frank Sinatra with Graham Forbes
    23. It's Alright with Me - Frank Sinatra with Graham Forbes
    24. Our Love Is Here to Stay / The Frank Sinatra Show Closing: Put Your Dreams Away - Frank Sinatra feat. Graham Forbes
    25. Gary Crosby Introduces Frank Sinatra / Sam's Song (The Happy Tune) - Frank Sinatra & Gary Crosby with John Scott Trotter and His Orchrestra
    26. Half as Lovely (Twice as True) - Frank Sinatra with John Scott Trotter & his Orchestra
    27. Light Up Time / Lucky Strike "LSMFT" Commercial - Frank Sinatra
    28. Frank Sinatra sings Bobbi Home Permanment / White Rain Commercials - Frank Sinatra

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm looking forward to hearing those commercials (really!). They sound interesting.

Oh yeah, and the songs too. :)

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It is from BROADWAY BANDBOX, Kenny.

4. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

An alternate arrangement from 'Reflections'?

Wow.

Does this mean that you've sourced a full transcription of one of those broadcasts, or are you not at liberty to say?

I seem to recall there's a version of "Velvet Moon" circulating amongst collectors that is in a different arrangement to the Your Personal Album one, and that some have attributed it to possibly being from Reflections, but would this be the first confirmed Reflections aircheck to circulate?

This is gonna be amazing.

Cheers Martin (and Chuck!).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Martin: One more question if I may. I take it from the inclusion of the 52 Guest Star program with "Why Try To Change Me Now" and "The Birth Of The Blues" that you and Chuck have determined that these were in fact radio performances and not Columbia alternate takes. Am I correct in this assumption?

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If these two tracks are ftom the same show which appeared (complete) in the Radio Spirits (2000) box set, I'd be surprised if this assumption is correct. Here's what I had to say about those some years ago —> at the SFF:
    The 15-minute Guest Star program, sponsored by the U.S. Treasury Dept., was broadcast on May 3, 1953 (not 1952). This was actually a month after Sinatra's first recordings for Capitol Records, although two of his Columbia songs were featured.

Note: I've revised the following based upon a careful listening comparison!

As Edwin says, the version of "The Birth Of The Blues" played on this show [...] is most certainly an alternate take of the released Columbia version recorded almost a year earlier on June 3, 1952. The orchestration (a Heinie Beau chart conducted by Axel Stordahl) and FS vocal are so nearly identical to the record as to be almost indistinguishable.

Similarly, the version of "Why Try To Change Me Now?" played on the radio appears to be an unreleased take from Frank's last Columbia session on September 17, 1952, with the orchestra conducted by Percy Faith. If this is indeed the version contained in the new box set [A Voice in Time], it is not only an aircheck but an alternate studio take as well.

Previous sources credit the Harry Sosnick Orchestra, but I believe that to be incorrect for these two (prerecorded) numbers. Sosnick was the conductor for the "live" instrumental portions of the Guest Star shows only.

Perhaps the details will be provided in the notes for this new box set. In any event, the complete radio transcription of Guest Star show #319, which contains both songs, was released in the Radio Spirits box set, —> 60 Greatest Old-Time Radio Shows Starring Frank Sinatra and Friends (disc 14 of 30).

7. Ronald Sarbo

Bob: This is why I'm asking the question. We have never had a DEFINITIVE answer as to the provenance of these 2 "recordings".

Bob Belvedere and Bob F like this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I understood that, Ron, and I'm eager to hear Chuck's answer. However, IF these are the same recordings that have been previously released, I would be very surprised to learn they are NOT Columbia studio alternate takes. If they are as I (and my ears) suspect, their inclusion in the new box set can certainly be excused, as they were only heard on radio.

9. Ronald Sarbo

If I am understanding Chuck's post this morning correctly he is saying the 106 track list includes the 12 surprise bonus tracks?

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's how I understand it, but I can't figure out which tracks were SUPPOSED to be the surprise bonuses.

11. niceneasy

That version of "Nevertheless" from New Years Eve 1950 really deserves a proper airing somewhere. It's so nice. Hopefully in the Smithsonian disc?

12. niceneasy

Presumably the adverts that end several of the discs, several of which seem to be out of chronological order for a start?

There's an NR one from a Fame & Fortune show, a Vimms, a Max Factor, a LUT, and a Bobbi Home Permanent (we're home, Celeste, time to fry your hair into chemically processed oblivion...).

So that's five possibly of the originally intended secrets.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

14. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

DABarrios likes this.
  15. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Boy is this exciting....I just ordered the new Tony Bennett, haven't decided how or when regarding the Nat King Cole
    Box Set. There's no doubt I am going to get that also. Now we have 5 disc's of new material, or, newly released
    old material coming up. Have to thank cousin Kanabe.

niceneasy likes this.
  16. Ronald Sarbo

When you compare what was originally announced you get a total of 96 tracks. The new list totals 106. A difference of 10 not 12.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Per Chuck: Yes - these ARE radio performances. There are no alternate takes of either song in the Columbia vault. They are the same arrangements as the Columbia recordings, but they are clearly not of the same sonic character as the Columbia studio masters. Also, the vocal is 'looser' - much more like a radio performance than a studio 'take.' It is Harry Sonic & the Saving Bond Ork as listed.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Also per Chuck: The 'Meet Frank Sinatra' recording of "Nevertheless" was not up to par sonically, and he opted to drop it from the final track listing, given the superior quality of the balance of the tracks on Disc 4. This recording is NOT on the Smithsonian disc.

Bob Belvedere and niceneasy like this.
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'll have to listen again when I get the box set. Perhaps what is being released is somehow different than what was in the Radio Spirits box?

20. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Going over the track listing again, I can't wait to hear and read about: Disc 1 tracks 12,13,15,23
    Disc 2 tracks 10,11,18,23 Disc 3 how many people know who Slim Gaillard was ? I know his daughter was Marvin Gaye's 2nd wife
    and the mother of his children. Also, he recorded with Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie. track 19 Jimmy Durante show ?
    Disc 4 track 23.

21. Ronald Sarbo

I doubt it. I never thought they were Columbia alternate takes. If so why have no other Columbia alternate takes ever surfaced from that period?

niceneasy likes this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Actually 11. One of the tracks on the original listing is missing from the new one.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Perhaps Chuck has different tapes than what Radio Spirits had. I listened very carefully years ago, and I thought they were studio alternates. Edwin Spiegel thought so, too. I'll wait for the new box set and compare again...

24. Ronald Sarbo

The number stands at 11 but we still don't know if "East Of The Sun" was omitted on purpose or by accident.
    I doubt that a different set of tapes for the Guest Star program exists.

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

From the press release: "... from his first radio performance in 1935 (singing "S-H-I-N-E" with the Hoboken Four) ..."

I cannot believe this exists. Wow.