Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There's a lot we don't know for sure, and until we get an OFFICIAL track listing and/or hear the actual release, suppositon serves little purpose.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's been released before, e.g. on the CD which came with Nancy Sinatra's book, Frank Sinatra: An American Legend.

3. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

It actually is one of the few previously issued tracks on this set. It's on the bonus CD in Nancy's "An American Legend" book from 1995. So is the frankly bizarre Dixieland instrumental bit from the Fred Allen show in 1937.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"Birth of the Blues" and "Why Try to Change me Now" are from an original 16-inch Guest Star transcription disc, newly transferred. There are NO alternate takes for the commercial Columbia recordings in the Columbia vault. The Guest Star versions are sufficiently different in vocal phrasing and sonic tone that Chuck is certain that they are not from any commercial Columbia session.

Also, although it wasn't discovered until the book had gone to production (so it doesn't have the "unedited" designation in the discography or on the box's outer sheet), "S-H-I-N-E" is an UNEDITED performance that we don't believe has been widely circulated. To clarify, the various versions that have circulated have the long spoken intro, and the MUSIC section has been edited in multiple ways. However, this new version - which came from a fairly clean lacquer disc dub that Chuck discovered recently - appears to be the COMPLETE musical performance by FS & the Hoboken Four. He opted to trim the spoken intro substantially, and include the complete, unedited musical portion.

5. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I read the book, but have never seen the CD that came with it... now I learn there's two versions of this track! heh.

niceneasy likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The CD came with the first edition (1995). It was dropped from the later reissue after Sinatra's death (1998).

niceneasy likes this.
  7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK...even with Chuck's official track list we still have Amazon at 107 tracks (106 + East Of The Sun) vs. 96 per Chuck. Still a difference of 11.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're taking all the fun out of the surprises.

D.B. and Bob Belvedere like this.
  10. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

Both 'Shine' and 'Curse Of An Aching Heart' from Major Bowes seem to have a degree of odd editing/fading as currently circulating. Looking forward to the full length 'Shine'. Maybe one day we'll hear 'Coise' as originally broadcast, too.

This is a special time for us. I thought the days of releases like this one had passed us by.

D.B. likes this.
  11. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I keep checking Amazon Germany....for the contents of Smithsonian CD.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  13. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Just ordered from amazon.uk

MMM likes this.
  14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Somewhat relevant, but the Autumn 2015 issue of Nostalgia Digest has an article titled "Perfectly Frank" focused on Sinatra's radio career. The cover shows a young Sinatra behind an NBC microphone. The article includes a picture of him in 1935 with The Hoboken Four. :)

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

—> Nostalgia Digest Magazine

[​IMG]

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's obviously it. I was on my phone earlier and didn't have a chance to find the link. Thanks, Bob.

I found the above issue at Barnes & Noble. Neat little publication.

17. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

18. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I'm getting into the game late, here. Looking forward to catching up on all the comments and analysis.

But for now: what's the cheapest pre-order?!

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

—> Amazon UK: £28.07 (shipped to US) = approx. USD $43.00
    —> Import CDs: $45.83 (with free shipping?)

rangerjohn and Beaneydave like this.
  20. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks, Bob!

21. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Best to pop over to UK Amazon then Bob, well those who haven't yet ordered. I ordered mine at that price, a bargain I think....and now just wondering when and if Smithsonian will ship to England.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

This is such a great time to be a collector. When I began to collect, in earnest, " non-commercial material " as we referred
    to it, I had to join a vast assembly of OTR show clubs to even find out about all the FS radio show's and concerts that was floating around.
    Had to pay insane prices for cassettes, which I still have, of YHP, SBS, Light Up time etc, had to buy under the counter lp's of off speed
    hum in the background, white label with no info. I alway's hoped for times like these of today.
    I can't imagine that the "1971 retirement concert " could be released with state of the art audio & digital perfection. and now here it is
    On CD & DVD.

DmitriKaramazov, rangerjohn and MMM like this.
  23. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Yes, I'm so excited about the Retirement concert. I'd never heard it or seen it until it was featured on the "Sinatra Documentary" and loved what I heard, and now my wish has been granted.

Can't wait!

24. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Please give me a link!

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    MarkusGermany likes this.