New "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" single - Harbinger of Smiths releases to come?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Terrible cover.

Man at C&A and Paully like this.
  3. catteste

catteste Mental Radio Transmission

4. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Bought it today at Record Store Day. I've listened to both sides and Rubber Ring sounds different because it's a different take but I can't really hear a difference in The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Nothing's jumping out at me. Can anybody enlighten me as to how this "Demo Mix" is different from the other releases? I have The Sound Of The Smiths CD and also The Queen Is Dead (1986 pre-remaster Rough Trade LP as well as the remastered CD in Complete).

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the differences between the original single and album versions:
    The chief difference between the single version and the one appearing on the album The Queen Is Dead is in the use of synthesised strings. They are largely absent from the single version, only appearing in the song's coda.

5. éder

éder Forum Resident

" reissue, repackage, repackage,
    Re-evaluate the songs,
    Double pack with a photograph,
    Extra track and a tacky badge"

"Best of, most of,
    Satiate the need,
    Slip them into different sleeves,
    Buy both and feel decieved"

6. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Okay, I had a closer listen and one difference between the "Demo Mix" and other versions is that the new single begins with a rat-a-tat-tat snare drum start.

There's also a message inscribed in the run-out groove that I can't transcribe here as it's against the forum rules.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    BeardedSteven likes this.
  7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Carrying on from this now-closed thread: Want to know if Morrissey endorsed this RSD 2017 Smiths release?

Is the recent "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" RSD single just a one-off, or is there a compilation collecting various demos, outtakes, and alternate versions on the way? There are certainly bootlegs galore when it comes to this material, and after the box set and remasters, it seems like the only thing left if The Smiths are going to have "new" releases...

8. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I hope so, would buy that in a heartbeat.

9. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

like Talking Heads, they have a massive cache of unreleased songs that have NEVER been bootlegged, so it would be a goldmine

e.s. and guidedbyvoices like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

The outtakes floating around a few years ago were absolutely from prepared reissues, most likely axed by Morrissey. I think this is definitely a sign of something coming at least for Queen is Dead, hopefully everything will get a big super deluxe reissue repackage and reevaluation. The quality of those outtakes are really good, so fingers crossed. Someone also prepped similar editions of moz's solo stuff that he axed in the same way. Those tracks started floating around about a year ago.

11. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Tell me more about the massive cache of unreleased songs by Talking Heads. Sorry for the the tread cap.

For the Smiths, I would love to hear their demos.

theMess likes this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Is there a list of unreleased Smiths tracks somewhere? There's the Troy Tate stuff, obviously, and a number of Peel sessions, along with a handful of covers, but aside from demos and alternate versions, what else is there?

theMess likes this.
  13. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The producer of their career-spanning box set, Andy Zax, said on Facebook that he tried to persuade Byrne to release numerous fully-fledged songs (not demos of existing tunes or instrumentals-completely fleshed out work that was scrapped), but no dice

applejam101 likes this.
  14. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that this was a teaser for a deluxe 'Queen Is Dead' set?

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Maybe there's a reason Byrne didn't want them released, like they "blew chunks"? :laugh:

Some more unreleased stuff did make it out as extra tracks on all the excellent 5.1 dvd-a's and dual discs, though. :shrug:

kwadguy and applejam101 like this.
  16. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I got the Troy Tate sessions boot and to be honest I'm sure glad I got my Rough Trade cd 61 by Nimbus. I actually played the Troy Tate cd once and really did not like it at all....maybe Moz knows best :shrug:.

17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i would love a deluxe queen is dead!

18. guidedbyvoices

Not confirmed.

19. guidedbyvoices

Here's some detailed info on the outtakes and demos stuff that leaked out. Some of it is fantastic like Girlfriend in a Coma.

The Power of Independent Trucking: mastered: The Smiths *stereo* Demos & Outtakes 2xLP

theMess, applejam101 and e.s. like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Would love deluxe editions of Smith albums or a rarities disc or both. Didn't realize there was so much out there in terms of unreleased songs. Would also like a CD that collects all of the rarities that are out there but hard to find on to a single CD. "Jeanne" "Wonderful Woman" etc

applejam101 likes this.
  22. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Ah, yes, but I'd love a tacky Smiths badge. And during the height of my Smiths fandom ( '84-'87), a big part of the experience was the stuff - the t-shirts, the record sleeves, those "Hang the DJ" stickers, and promo posters and so on. So while your point (and Morrissey's) is well-taken, there was a certain amount of appeal to that stuff with the Smiths.

éder likes this.
  23. éder

éder Forum Resident

Most Definitely agree there mate - and i see no reason not to collect original rough trade/sire etc smiths memorabillia,( i just brought the original purple vinyl of the debut album )
    My point is - the smiths virtually released everything as they wrote it without holding back any songs for later albums, all we are going to get is slightly different mixes and demos .
    How many best of's is there now ?.. not morrisseys fault i'm sure - but with every compilation and 'new' smiths release i am always taken back to the lyrics of 'paint a vulgar picture ' .. the words are very prophetic ! ...

I wasnt bashing this latest release, but the artwork sort of puts me off it. Its not a classic smiths design - which it should have been..

realkilroy, jsayers and Peace N. Love like this.
  24. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Even so, it is nice to know this just from an informational standpoint so those who want to support it can seek out a copy and those who don't know not to. So thanks.

Paper Wizard and éder like this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

Not attacking the poster of this , but this gets posted every time any thing Morrissey related gets reissued. I've done it myself. It's his version of 'hope i die before I get old'.

But I'm all for a well thought out, great sounding reissue program. Big difference to me of something like the Camden Elvis packages vs something like maybe the zep reissues - remastered LP (use the very good recent remaster) plus a companion disc of outtakes and maybe a third lp of that eras singles and b sides.

realkilroy, éder and e.s. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.