New Sly Stone/Stone Flower Productions compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiddfunkadelic

kiddfunkadelic Forum Resident

I cant help with your last question, i dont know

2. Whoops, I knew all that technical mumbo-jumbo would confuse you, sorry about that :( But, regardless, ignoring the "lossy problem" I put in at the end... I'm certain that the alt. 6ix version of "Dynamite" is pure mono, and not stereo at all. I don't hear any different placement of instruments in the mix, they all seem to be dead-center.

RE: the harp on "Just Like Me", are you sure that's not a melodica? I recall seeing photos of Sly playing that instrument, right down to blowing into the mouthpiece on the side. The two instruments DO sound pretty similar though, so I can't blame ya for that.

I guess I should get this question out of the way: are there any upcoming plans for more Sly Stone collections or comps in the near future? I'd really like for those Stone Flower stereo mixes to get released, and for the rest of the mono stuff for STFS too (e.g. 45 mix of "Fun", mono LP mixes of first 2 albums). It's all up to you (well, I guess Sony, actually), though!

3. kiddfunkadelic

Haha, it wasnt that i couldn't follow you, it is just that i don't know. I wasn't present during the mixing.

You are right regarding dynamite

That is a harp on just like you, played by Marvin Braxton. Check also the liners for more background info

I doubt there will be another stone flower compilation after listen to the voices en just like me. But the stereo mixes might appear on another release.

There will be another Sly compilation coming out in the near future, but that will focus on his pre Autumn work.

If you have any other questions, just sent me a private message

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Hep Alien and IDwithnoE like this.
  4. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I like this version of Life and Death in G and A much better honestly.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

That's great news about a new compilation. I'm guessing it's partly the Viscaynes stuff. Is there any possibility of a comp going into the Sly's 1970s session work or would that be a nightmare of rights issues?

6. kiddfunkadelic

That's right. It will focus on the viscaynes 1960-61 and Sly's solo affords from 1961-2

I've been trying to get various labels interested in a compilation with Sly guest appearances, but so far no luck. It is indeed a nightmare of rights... But I'm not giving up ;-))

BTW. My most favorite Sly session work release is his 1974 duet with Kathy McDonald.

Hep Alien and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Hadn't heard it, so I sought it out:

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Dark Horse 77

That is fantastic news. Sly's lesser heard recordings are really being given justice with these compilations. Any clue about release date for this one?

And please (please, please!) keep trying to get a comp of Sly guest appearances out there. I've made my own of mostly 80s stuff but there would be nothing like getting an official release.
    Case in point: I'd never even heard, let alone heard of that Sly duet from 1974 before you posted about it here. Great music like this needs to get a wider audience.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. kiddfunkadelic

Will you updated once a release date is set. It may take a while

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Thanks; keep up the good work, sir.

11. Just wanna say thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my questions! I know it must be hard to find a way to respond to these but I'm very appreciative for you doing so.

I just have a few more, and once again this focuses on master tapes and mixes like my other ones:

1) Will the Joe Hicks "Life & Death (In G&A)" mishap on the LITA set be fixed anytime soon? I know it's available on the Listen to the Voices CD but it just bugs me that the wrong (non-single) version was used, accidentally in this case.
    2) Does a master tape still exist for the Abaco Dream version? Apparently the one on the Ace Records set was a needledrop, or so I heard from someone else... And would it be possible to rerelease this track again, if such a tape still exists?

3) This regards your upcoming pre-1962 Viscayenes set:
    Another technical question, and I understand if you can't tell us at this point, but will all of the tracks be tape-sourced?

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Dark Horse 77

Obviously I don't know the answer but I'd guess they're more than likely using acetates and/or reel to reel.

13. kiddfunkadelic

The majority will be tape sourced and will include also unreleased cuts

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. kiddfunkadelic

Negative on both 1 and 2

IDwithnoE likes this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Are we looking at this year or 2016 as a proposed released date?

16. kiddfunkadelic

17. Dark Horse 77

Thanks for the info. A question for you: is there a chance, even the tiniest of tiny limited editions of there ever being a deluxe version of There's a Riot Goin' On ever coming out? The unreleased tracks we've gotten in the last few years have been great fun (for me) and I figure most of any unreleased material is probably drum machine instrumentals...however, I'd love to hear any scraps that Sly recorded. Well, that pretty much goes for his career, but as well all know Riot is such a special, hard-to-categorize album.

Actually a second question after all that: I realized how difficult a Sly compilation past 1970 would be (rights issues, etc.) but is there any chance any of his unreleased recordings of the 1980s, 90s, 00s could come out?

18. kiddfunkadelic

There are still plenty instrumental cuts and some with vocals in the Sony archives, but non are finished songs.
    There aren't any Riot out takes, in sense of finished songs that didn't make the album.

Perhaps at some point Sony will release more, but I assume they will first rerelease high on you and perhaps heard ya missed me. Plenty of outtakes to choose from.

I don't think his 80s demos will ever be released. Quality of the recodings is an issue, cause only cassette tapes survived. Goldstein has plenty of reels in his archive from the 90s, but not sure if he will ever do something with them...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Dark Horse 77

A true shame about the 80s/90s tracks. I really hope Sony will release High on You And Heard Ya Missed Me. High is quite underrated and makes for a disjointed, almost funk classic, imo. Heard Ya Missed Me is the worst Sly record, but still should get an official release on cd.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i agree. the only 2 sly albums i'm missing

21. Dark Horse 77

I think the copies I have are Japanese. Good sound, but I still want reissues.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they are expensive

23. Dark Horse 77

I'm sure they are at this point. kiddfunk pointed out that there are a lot of outtakes for these two as well. See, there's more Sly tracks just sitting around. C'mon Sony!

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Are there any Fresh outtakes/early versions of songs or are there just alternate mixes of the album proper?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Kiddfunkadelic - I was wondering how the compilation of Sly's early tracks is coming along...
    Also while listening to Riot for the billionth time was curious if "Runnin' Away" is an outtake from Stand or if it was actually recorded for Riot.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.