New Sly Stone/Stone Flower Productions compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiddfunkadelic

kiddfunkadelic Forum Resident

No details yet for the early Sly compilation, but it will come

Regarding Runnin' Away. That song was recorded early 1970, so over 1,5 year before the release of Riot. It was during the last few sessions the band recorded as a unit! Thats why it sounds so different than the rest of the album.

By the way, Cynthia is playing a flugelhorn instead of a Trumpet ;-)

entropyfan and Hep Alien like this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Thanks! Your knowledge is always very helpful. Is this the final released track the original band recorded?

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. kiddfunkadelic

When you mean, recording as a group? Yeah, you could state it like that

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. nbadge

nbadge the stars were right

Do you know if "If It Were Left Up To Me" was recorded during those last band sessions? And on a separate note, I've read that the phrase "two years is a short time to wait" was used as a promotion line for There's A Riot Goin' On. A variation on that line "two years, too long a wait / two words, get it straight" is used in "In Time". As you know and have mentioned, "In Time" was originally not included on Fresh. I always have wondered if "In Time" was a Riot outtake that was finished for Fresh. The only session related fact I know about it is that Andy Newmark was the only drummer who could nail what Sly wanted. Thanks for all of your insights and hard work, it is most appreciated!

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. kiddfunkadelic

If it where left up to me was also recorded during those last group sessions early 1970.

The track was initially recorded for Little Sister, and Sly added his vocals when putting Fresh together.

Another track from those last sessions was "This is Love" that appears on Small Talk. It was initially also meant for Little Sister. That's still both Greg and Larry!

In Time was not recorded for Riot. That was recorded in the course of 1972 and first quarter of 1973.

nbadge, Hep Alien and KevinP like this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

This is pretty fascinating!

nbadge and Hep Alien like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Any updates on this? :wave:

8. Dark Horse 77

I was just wondering this the other day. We need KiddFunkadelic; he'll know.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

paging @kiddfunkadelic

10. kiddfunkadelic

No news yet, sorry guys this is taking a bit longer

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

How about for 2017? :wave:

Matthew Tate and George P like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes any sly is good.

13. Dark Horse 77

We need the KIDD; he would know.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. kiddfunkadelic

At this point i dont have any new info on an upcoming release.
    There are some projects in the work, but you never know if and when they go through.

I have been going to through my epic Sony files and compared them with what has been released so far and I come to the conclusion that there isn't much more in the archives from 1967 till 1969.

I know there is plenty stuff from later years, but the majority of that is only instrumental.

Did you guys see the 180 gram vinyl releases from high on you and anthology that have been released lately?

I do know that high on you and heard ya missed me will be released on cd this year by music on vinyl (music on cd).

15. Matthew Tate

thanks for the updates.

not sony related but do you think any of the stuff sly has recorded from 1980-present will ever be released like the 3 tracks on the I'm back family and friends album?

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

Do you have any idea if the High and Heard Ya reissues are happening later in the year or earlier?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

High On You is already out.

18. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Link? I don't see it on Amazon.

19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

20. kiddfunkadelic

High on you on vinyl is indeed out and both albums will be released on cd later this year. Check out the anthology album, it is on colored wax!

Regarding the question of post 70s material ever being released. I doubt it. I have quite some demos from the 80s and the 90s, but most of them are really demo quality, often lacking propper vocal tracks.

Don't let the I'm back album fool you. Sly didn't play any of the instruments on those songs. Also not on the 3 so called 80s out takes. Plain Jane etc.. only sly's vocals are from the 80s. The music track was made by a German producer in 2011! I was also fooled by the label, when I asked to write the forword for that release printed on the first two pages of the booklet.....

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing this. I have every Sly album up to (and including) Small Talk. I'm Back would be the next Sly I album I might pick up, but I have read bad things about it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

oh wow. i had no idea. i just thought it was old demo's. anything by sly is welcome. i wish he would get something out of his material recorded after the early 80's but unless he is holding stuff sounds like not much is there

23. some late period Sly that stands shoulder to shoulder with his best work (IMO):

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Thanks for Kiddfunkadelic and Grant for the heads-up on the 180g High on You. My first time to own the album (barring a few tracks on comps) and I love it!

George P and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

I do like some of that album but Sly sounds pretty weak vocally throughout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.