New Sony HX500 turntable looks nice. How have Sony tables been historically?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

JMAC likes this.
  3. MLutthans

That little badge on the corner should sway everybody:
    Screen shot 2016-01-05 at 5.53.01 PM.png
    :rolleyes:
    If your headphones say "CD Ready," worlds will collide! :laugh:

scobb, John Woo, The Pinhead and 13 others like this.
  4. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident Thread Starter

MLutthans likes this.
  5. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Very nice, aesthetically

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

They should put a "Digital Ready" sticker on the turntable. :agree:

7. MLutthans

Ah, you crossed a line that I chose not to cross..... I have even more respect for you now!

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think it looks pretty cool. Though there isn't much indication of price and when availability will be in New Zealand.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Their turntables have been junk for years now. This one doesn't look much better, unless the arm is by Jelco (it has that Jelco look). Yeah. "Hi Rez." Boy, that sticker is irritating.

BrentB, Tullman, The Pinhead and 2 others like this.
  10. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I thought that sticker was a bit strange, until I read more on the turntable.
    Aside from the silly "analog files" bit, this is the first turntable I know of that can output DSD files.

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Apparently the idea is to have a USB turntable that people don't role their eyes at.
    High Res audio may sound goofy on face value for an analogue record player but there is an actual reason behind it.

12. MLutthans

@chadbang - I'm not sure that's a sticker. From the OP's second link:
    <<The HX500 can convert analog files into either Sony's proprietary DSD file format or 24-bit, high-resolution WAV files. These are Sony's formats of choice for its hi-res audio devices, and the HX500 is designed to work in concert with those devices. The turntable also includes a newly designed app that allows users to easily edit their converted files. It's an undeniably gorgeous piece of equipment. "Sony is dedicated to providing audiophiles and music enthusiasts alike with a wide range of hi-res audio solutions," said director of home entertainment and sound Yamato Tanikawa in a statement.>>

(Post overlapped with @snkcube -- sorry.)

13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

They should stick to.... Do they make anything good anymore ?

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They couldn't find a non-warped record for the video? Those two idiots know nothing about turntables, it's so obvious.

Closeups in that video reveal its is a piece of cheap junk made of plastic.

Tullman likes this.
  15. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Maybe they just wanted footage where the needle was moving a lot.
    Also it's a bit dumb looking at a video and saying "It's plastic" how can you tell that from the video.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-ps-hx500-turntable-converts-vinyl-to-hi-res-audio

The deck itself has a die-cast aluminium platter, is belt-driven - unlike the Technics direct-drive deck
    There's a high density 30mm plinth, plus a new tonearm, rubber mat and insulating feet.

Yup, just cheap plastic huh

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    PhilBiker likes this.
  16. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

sony were across the spectrum - pretty much like technics. from entry level to decent home set and forget players, to high end. although sony bought into the biotracer automation thing in a big way.
    FWIW i think it looks cool, and i like the dsd converter feature. however, for £400 they may have priced it a little too high.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the older manual and auto return Sony tables as far as sonics and reliability goes from late 1960's into the 1970's.

pmrauch likes this.
  18. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I have a Sony PS-6750, made in the late 70s I think. It's a very nice table.
    Be interesting to see what reviews this new TT gets.

19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I had a Sony PS-X55 turntable in college in the early 80's.

It was a good performing table, but the function buttons eventually started to act up.

The PS-Xxx line seems to have been well regarded in general.

But times have changed - hopefully Sony can cycle thru and make a return, I don't have anything to hold against them.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

WOW!

And by WOW! I mean—look at that arm wiggle!

sunspot42 and PhilBiker like this.
  21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Sony has been making turntables for decades, they have made everything from transistor radios to high end gear. There's no general answer to this question. Their high end turntables in the 70s and 80s were nice. Their low end junky plastic turntables were decent enough for what they were.

This new turntable looks nice and I like that it doesn't look like a clone of Hanpin or the Denon DP-300F (also badged for Pioneer and Teac in recent years). The fact that it has a DSD ADC is fascinating and confusing! Do they intend to allow for DSD authorship of discs to play in SACD players? What PC is going to have a DSD DAC in it - what other use could they possibly have? Fascinating. The dumb looking "Hi Res" sticker is typical of them.

Daily Nightly, McLover and sunspot42 like this.
  22. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Couldn't help but notice in the video @ 2:54 that it looks like the tonearm jumps/leaps up when the lid is opened?!?

Robin L likes this.
  23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's static charge on the dust cover causing the tonearm to get attracted to the dust cover and get lifted as the dust cover is opened.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Agreed - It's like when people said they were enthusiastic about the new Pioneer direct drive because they enjoyed their PL-41 in the 70's. It's not like there's any pedigree at work in these decks.

Shak Cohen and PhilBiker like this.
  25. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

As mentioned by everyone above, this is a terrible video/ad for the turntable.

It looks fairly cheap, whether or not it is plastic.
    A badly warped record? Really?? Maybe that is one selling point in that it tracks warped records really well.
    The video talks about 'features' like anti vibration feet and a cylindrical tonearm counterweight? Surely most record players have all of these.
    When they put the needle on the record they seem to heavily push the needle down on the record.

All in all, a video not made by real vinyl lovers.

Shak Cohen and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.