New Sony HX500 turntable looks nice. How have Sony tables been historically?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Looks cool.
    But an internal phono stage? I don't think that sounds too good. If you could use an external phono stage and then connect that to the DSD encoder I'd be interested. How on earth will their phono stage be worthy of DSD?

In any case, looks like Sony is not abandoning DSD after all. And cheers for that.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

DSD or high-res PCM. I doubt any preamp made by Sony and slapped into a turntable is going to be worth encoding in high-res.

3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well at least it isn't a vinyl software player.
    The ps-x50 /is a fine unit Mine is from '78. I bought mine for 39.95 at a flkea market about 16 years ago. When I first got it I had yo go and calibrate the speed pots for 33.3. Has been on my bedroom dresser since and has operated flawlessly. It makes a nice headphone player and I have it plugged into my Bellari w/headphone output.

4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

6. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

I'm thinking of getting one to use for some vinyl transfers of "medium" importance. While it's not a reference setup, wouldn't you agree that having everything in one box (preamp and converter) is a sonic advantage to using a Rega or Pro-Ject TT with some outboard preamp and outboard converter?

Though it would have been better if it came with a digital RIAA preamp, with only a DSD out instead of the other features.

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No idea - we have no specs yet, do we? The turntable and cartridge could rate considerably worse than a basic Rega or similar, and the built-in preamp could be a $5 hunk of junk.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

...with screens manufactured for them by Samsung. In the '60's and '70's Sony was to innovation and quality what Apple is today. At some point they saw fit to totally devalue their name by slapping it on cheap, mass market junk. Their professional video gear and still cameras are still high quality (at least that's what I understand). That's about it.

Grootna and sunspot42 like this.
  9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

no they still make some fine products ,like their top tvs ,which aren't Samsung screens , If you got the bucks

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Their image sensor business is doing quite well.

11. It's not what most round here want but we're not the target demographic. If this hits the right price point, it should do well.

12. Poison_Flour

I would be worried about the pre amp myself you only need to look at all the audio technica threads about people removing them because they are not up to scratch I love the idea of turntable and usb in one but we are still yet to see a decent one

patient_ot and sunspot42 like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

New video from Sony Europe:

Shak Cohen and PhilBiker like this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The video mentions a projected price of £450.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Thanks for that. I like it. I like it a lot. 450 pounds! Wow it's not cheap! I like that it appears to be an original Sony design, not a Hanpin clone, not a part of the Denon DP-300F family (which I've always liked, and has clones from Teac, Pioneer, and perhaps others, and may be another Hanpin for all I know). It may be (probably is) a Hanpin or a Denon clone under everything. Intriguing. Nice to see that rep knows how to handle a record.

Still - I'm sure it betrays that I was born in the 60s, but I don't trust any turntable that doesn't have either a strobe or a quartz lock to guarantee accuracy.

Edit to add - if my years of using various Sony MiniDisc decks for recording, and also as an outboard analog to digital converter, are any indication; the analog-to-digital capability should be darn nice. I still have many needle drops from the days when I used my MiniDisc deck connected optical to my computer to record, and they sound fine.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

It's a marketing buzzword. If you want to sell audio, you have to say "hi-res". If you want to sell TV's, you have to say "HD".

The Sony PS-6750 is quite good, very nice tonearm, warm detailed sound, but just a TINY bit noisy. The platter mat is filled with oil, and that can leak out, making a mess. In years past I've had a PS-X5, which I thought was wonderful A very solid table and a great performer. But Sony also made (makes?) cheapies as well. Those are good starter turntables, but not much more than that.

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Not exactly, If you'd believe it your product actually has to meet a certain set of standards to put those stickers on their products, that's why you got those "HD Ready" Tvs or 1080p capable. It was because 1080p capable TVs tended to be 1360 x 768 so they could say it's a megapixel or something. Similarly in order to have the High Res audio sticker the product has to meet certain requirements such as being able to record and play back at least 96k/24bit and an I/O capable or playing it back or something. They aren't just slapping on a 44.1k / 16 bit DAC out of the discount parts bin and saying it's High Res.

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

$650 for that? They've got to be kidding.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

There are probably people on this forum who would spend far more money than that on a half a metre of speaker cable.

20. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The HX-500 can be connected to an external phono stage, or use the internal phono stage. There's a switch on the back to select either one.

21. Poison_Flour

:righton:

22. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I know that. I was, in a backhanded way, referring to the value of such words in advertising and marketing, as in, no product can be sold WITHOUT them. Like "HD TV antennas". There is NO SUCH THING as an "HD" tv antenna. Only the -SIGNAL- contains HD. Antennas are the exact same thing they've been for the last 50 years.

Anyway, this is a turntable thread, back to our regularly scheduled program.

23. Interesting concept, interesting price... I'll reserve judgement until somebody buys one & posts the results here.
    :cheers:

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yes, but those same people aren't going to spend any money on a crappy turntable from Sony.

They really missed the boat with this thing.

They should have just dusted off one of their ancient linear trackers.

25. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

so, another cheesy entry level table....

why...?

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.