New Sony HX500 turntable looks nice. How have Sony tables been historically?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

So if you connect an outboard phono stage, can you still use the A to D converter?
    The mat has a recessed center to accommodate the record label and provide a better fit with the vinyl. That sounds interesting. But if that's important, why haven't high end tables ever done this?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    sunspot42 likes this.
  2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I don't know what makes you so certain about all that, personally I'm going to buy one if it shows up in New Zealand it can't be all that terrible. It's got to be a step up from my Welling F700 at least which no doubt you'll stick your nose up at too because it actually is made with a lot of plastic.

johovey likes this.
  3. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Im waiting for someone to buy one and post a needle drop

4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

they have been doing that forever...mine is like that...

Shak Cohen, sunspot42 and PhilBiker like this.
  5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just checking back on the forum, and apologize for my delayed response. I think the on board A-D converter is bypassed when using an external phono stage. I assume when the switch is thrown to "phono" the internal phono amp is bypassed, and also the D-A converter inactive. (it is one or the other, not both) It makes sense to me that only one phono amp should be active, since the phono inputs are impedance sensitive. So we can not have another phono preamp connected to the input of another one.

Someone may have a better answer for you.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  6. runningaround

runningaround Active Member

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Same chip as the TASCAM, so yes very good

8. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Sure, there will always be people who will prefer to get a cost-no-object TT and a stand alone 11.2 MHz DSD A/D from Playback Designs, rather than an entry-level all-in-one turntable/ADC, but there's perhaps market for both?

9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Forgive my complete ignorance in the subject.
    I know some of you have high standards for turntables and converters.
    But my question is: at this price or a tad more, can you have any better?
    If you can't, commercially speaking, the product does make sense, IMO

10. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I think if it comes in at around $500 or whatever they suggested, it's an amazing deal. I'll be curious to see how it sounds if you swap cartridges, or if that's even possible. I can't envision buying it personally, I have a disease that forces me to continually shovel money at audio stuff. But I think the idea is real neat for people just getting into it.

SamS, The_Windmill and PhilBiker like this.
  11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yes these were phenominal tables right up until they weren't. I had bot an 800 and a 600. The 600 was similar but with a pivoting rather than linear arm. In both cases after some months the arms just lost the ability to track properly. These arms used very sensitive sensors and servos to move the arm when they go, they get hypersensitive.

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

JLGB, PhilBiker and dbsea like this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No measures?

:confused:

14. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for posting the review. Seems like it performs well and has a pretty interesting digital feature set.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow and Flutter: +/– 0.25% Not impressive.

Now, if their conversion software corrected for this...

No vta? What? That's a big problem on a table with a lowered platter. Lowering the platter also limits the carts you can use on it, as well as making arm changes impossible. This should be a $175 table. Probably see it at $280.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    sunspot42 likes this.
  16. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

17. harby

harby Forum Resident

Sony did make some pretty decent stuff for the middle of the market. Quartz-lock direct-drive 80's Sony PS-LX410 with the auto mechanism removed and inside packed with clay. Well used Sony VL45G cart, P-mount. Vocal siblance replicated on better gear:

Elisa_Fiorillo-08-Headin_For_A_Heartache-sample.flac

I have a feeling that the institutional knowledge of building good turntables left when the previous generation of designers retired. Technics even stopped making turntables, probably just because a used 1200 works just as well as a new one does. The straight arm on this new turntable is a compromise, but at least it is a long one with anti-skate. Putting digital audio circuitry along with USB chips in a turntable is always a sketchy move, but at least they are raising the bar from the current market of super-crappy ION etc USB turntables, the worst way ever to digitize records.

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Anyone pick one of these up? Reviews?

19. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sounds a bit underwhelming. Just wait a few months - someone is bound to come out with an outboard preamp/digitizer combo that beats this thing.

22. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Ugh, looks hideous. Nowhere near the level of Sony's classic PS-X and Biotracer decks. But I'm sure the economics of a smaller LP market force that.

I really wish Sony would bring back the Biotracers. Those are terrific decks, a final triumph before CD took over in the '80s.

23. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I haven't had any problems with my PS-X600. Its big brother, the legendary PS-X75, sometimes has problems today, and the tonearm goes all crazy. But we're talking about 35-year-old tables. You'd just have to replace some worn parts, and I do believe someone has built new computer chips for the Biotracers to replace the old ones.

But I wouldn't worry. The X600 and later models are very reliable. Mind you, I said the same about my Trinitron just before it suffered a fatal heart attack, sob.

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. jwhvt

jwhvt Forum Resident

Another fan of Sony's early '80's PS-X600. So far, it's been totally reliable.

[​IMG]

I have a PS X55 as a spare.

[​IMG]

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ya, well he hasn't reviewed a sub $2000 turntable in over a decade. More interesting would be a review from someone who can provide some context of similarly priced options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.