New Sony HX500 turntable looks nice. How have Sony tables been historically?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you want to buy an extra headshell for that x55 let me know. I found one in a box of stuff the other day.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. jwhvt

jwhvt Forum Resident

Thank you for the offer. I already have a couple of spares. It's also nice that the X600 and X55 share the same headshell.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Does anyone have this yet? I am looking for reviews on the sound and whether or not it can be customized. I have an AT440MLa cartridge and a Zupreme Headshell that I would like to use!

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Sound and Vision had a review last month

JLGB likes this.
  5. runningaround

runningaround Active Member

6. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

7. runningaround

runningaround Active Member

8. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I think the Sony's a fixed headshell isn't it?

9. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

Am I wrong; or isn't any good quality turntable capable of outputting high-res sound and you can capture it to any computer with a decent sound card and the proper software? Or is this new Sony turntable capable of capturing a higher resolution?

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

You are correct. This table has a very high quality DSD DAC built in, so it eliminates a step / component. You don't have to buy the high-res analog converter for your computer - just plug in a USB because that's already built in. It's a convenience thing.

The_Windmill likes this.
  11. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

12. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
    The_Windmill and ramdom like this.
  13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

This table specs out terribly. Low end table with a dsd converter and premium pricetag. You'd be better off buying an outboard one of you really want to do needledrops

PhilBiker and sunspot42 like this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It would be nice to get an opinion from a forum member who's actually heard it, though reviews have been generally positive.

I'm not in the market for something like this, but as I have a HAP Z1ES this would be the complimentary 'table to load all of my vinyl onto it in DSD.

John K.

Poison_Flour likes this.
  15. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

My thread was "merged"! How cool is that? No point in having redundancy redundancy, I kinda thought that this kinda table-tech wouldn't get too far past this crew...still, this has potential and could start the competition towards better vinyl transfers.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Subjective reviews have all been quite positive.

Best to wait for an objective review with measurements before casting judgement on specs?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    The_Windmill and PhilBiker like this.
  17. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I saw one on static display at a store recently and it looked nicer than I'd expected from photos. Appeared well made for $600. Cheapest way I know of to needledrop to DSD if that's your thing.

Poison_Flour, PhilBiker and Rolltide like this.
  18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I look forward to seeing one and how it performs in real world scenarios, but I also feel that published specs do have a lot to say about the overall quality of a product. Not for me but I'm glad to see Sony back in the game anyway.

19. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Has anyone bought this and/or listened to what it can do?

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That What Hi-Fi (known as WTF for their reviewing standards) review is a joke. Looks like a low end USB TT at double the price of the competition. For pushing £500 you could get something decent and use an outboard ADC if you must do needle drops.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They should revive one of their old Biotracer platters instead - preferably a linear tracker (since virtually nobody makes one anymore) - and slap the DSD D/A and other gizmos on that. They could probably get $1,200 for it, and it would kinda-sorta be worth the price. At least it wouldn't be - as you noted - just another low end USB turntable.

22. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

That would be wonderful - but probably won't happen due to the amount of reworking that would be needed (obsolete ICs, etc). Still, a revived PS-X800 is absolutely something that I'd be interested in buying. Unfortunately it wouldn't sell for $1200. Maybe $4200...

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They might sell it for that, but I'm betting they could bang them out for a fraction of what the originals cost to produce in the '80s (inflation adjusted).

24. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

I saw this at Magnolia in a local Best Buy the other day. Looked nice, I really like the understated design. It wasn't setup in their demo room so I couldn't hear it or anything. I'm curious to hear if it is "worth" the price?

25. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.