New Sony HX500 turntable looks nice. How have Sony tables been historically?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsea, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It would sell in the UK for around £10K based on high end hi-fi inflation. These TTs were practically unobtainable in the UK and cost several times an LP12 at the time.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I still see this thing as a HUGE missed opportunity. They should have dusted off their Biotracers, and coupled it with an all-digital built-in preamp that uses high-res digital processing to not only perform the RIAA equalization curve, but also flatten the output of any cartridge via an included calibration disc.

You could also throw in realtime click & pop reduction and a bunch of other digital processing tricks.

3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It doesn't look nice to me, Imuch prefer my inexpensive Goldring GR-1 TT withits inexpensive Denon MC cart. Not as sexy looking as this Sony TT but sure much better sounding.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

JLGB and PhilBiker like this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Why do you have to post that??!!

MUST RESIST!! :realmad: MUST RESIST!! :winkgrin:

PhilBiker, runningaround and SamS like this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Here let me help:
    1. If you activate the offer beforehand, PayPal offers free return shipping on such a purchase. Return Shipping Refund - PayPal
    2. You can probably sell it locally for close to what you pay for it, if you change your mind about it one day.
    3. Probably very hard to find a $200 new-in-box TT that even reviewers like Fremer find worthy.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Back up to $498. :( I love Sony and was seriously considering getting it even though I have a nice running Technics SL-1600... But it's silver and I hate silver :D

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

9. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

SamS likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So no one here has one of these? Someone should post a needle-drop :D

I am a total novice at needle-drops, but will probably do some testing with this. I plan on upgrading my existing phono pre-amp in the upcoming months in hopes of doing 'drops with my main rig, so the Sony would be more of a "secondary" set-up.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I got one from this seller and after three days of getting poor sound I returned it. Maybe you get what you pay for. I'm just getting back into vinyl. Any other suggestions for 24/192 analog to digital turntables?

12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

A conventional turntable with a good 24/192 capable sound card or USB Doohickey.

J_D__ likes this.
  13. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

OMG, this thing brings back nightmares! After nearly 20 years of working at Sony, this was my least favorite product to repair, bar none (I used to call it the "biogrinder", due to the impossible task of tracking alignment during service). I dreaded the alignment procedure, as the service manual was written incorrectly (if you followed the procedure to the letter, it'll never work again). There were seemingly a thousand different pots to turn inside, dozens of AND gates, OR gates, NOR gates and discrete IC's and transistors to drive any tech batty.

I basically considered them unrepairable. One good thing, when they were written off and either replaced with a new one or refunded, I had the pleasure of destroying a few of these monsters :). Seriously, we destroyed defective products with sledge hammers, out back of the shop, near the dumpsters. I didn't feel bad as I pulverized these into (literal) dust - the composite material they were made from was similar to concrete and broke up easily. I would never own one, even if you gave it to me.

BTW, I worked at Mitsubishi Electric in 1979- early 1980, where I was their only audio tech in the US - and worked often on what would become my all- time favorite TT, the vertically oriented LT-5V. Had one in my own home for years before selling it, really wish I'd kept it now. It was a great table!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    patient_ot, Claude and PhilBiker like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My PS-HX500 arrived yesterday, new-in-box from BuyDig.

Setup was pretty straightforward, and the build quality was better than I was expecting. You're not going to confuse it for a $3K+ table, but it's obvious this is a custom design, that is well executed from a visual design and implementation standpoint.

I used the built-in phono pre-amp, and ran RCA directly into my OPPO HA-1 headphone amp, paired with the PM-1 headphones. Sound was really good! Very quiet, with a nice soundstage. Very "analog" ;) Compared to my reference setup, the midrange was farther back than I prefer, but certainly still enjoyable.

For the $239 price I paid, I cannot recommend this one enough. More insight to come later this weekend...

15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

How are you getting on with it?

16. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Here

Uploadfiles.io - 12_20170527194056.wav

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Quite nicely! The built-in phono pre-amp sounds much better than I was expecting. No issues with speed, and the understated looks have really grown on me. I still haven't done a needle-drop, but I'd consider this an excellent value 'table for <$250, if you come across it at this price.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

19. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Music Matters 45rpm re issue. 2012

SamS likes this.
  20. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

SamS likes this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re the Sony PSHX500 turntable. I have read loads of reviews and importantly I can afford this player and copy some old records. Just one question which I could not find an answer too. I have mono and stereo albums. To copy them will I need to try and find a mono cartridge for this player? I assume the turntable is set up for stereo. I am not sure the folk in the Sony stores will understand what I am talking about, hence asking here.

22. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

So you can buy it with cart. and built in phono pre for $400. That tells you something about the quality when you compare it to the vast range of TT's and carts in the market. Big selling point is HiRez and that's a joke in this case. You can not improve the output beyond the quality of the source. A record from say the 70's will never be Hi Resolution no matter how much up sampling you do. It looks like Sony's marketing is in high gear here. They have always been in the forefront of selling the market products that are "cutting edge" until they fail in the market...remember BetaMax and others. You will not need a separate stylus for mono.

23. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

forgive the off topic.
    how long does a stylus last?
    (calculated in playback hours)

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for the information re the stylus. The price in the UK for this Sony is £275 so it is a basic range turntable. I know Sony are masters of self promotion but I have other Sony stuff which I was always pleased with. It is not on my profile but I still have a Sony sacd player that I bought purely for sacd playback.
    I have some old mono and stereo records from the 1960s and 1970s that were bought way back then and have been played on numerous record players and turntables since. I used to make cassette copies back in the 1970s so I am just looking to do something similar now using the usb facility ie just a fairly straight copy of a vinyl record.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

You can use your stereo cartridge to record/digitize mono LPs in the same manner you would stereo LPs; theoretically the stereo cart will transcribe 50% of the mono signal to the stereo L and R channels equally. Post-digitization, there are many (more) 'futzing' options available than would be w/stereo source, i.e. if the R channel is noisy and has a lot of clicks and pops, you could replace it with the contents of the L channel, as both channels - digitization artifacts aside - contain the same sonic monophonic information.

Otherwise, the only thing I would do is clearly label the resulting digital file as 'mono', or as being 'mono sourced', as, for all other purposes and devices, it will appear to be a stereo file.

Flaming Torch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.