New speakers again....Castle Knight 5's this time.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by swvahokie, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I returned the Audio Physics Step 25's. My room was just too big for them to fill. A mini monitor can only move so much air. I really, really, really wanted those speakers to work (did I put in enough reallys?). Within their limits, they are stunning. The next model up would have been perfect, but I am too chicken to sell a kidney and too slow to rob a convenience store. ;)

Castle has never had much of a presence in the States, and pretty much went belly up a decade or so ago. IAG purchased them (the company that owns Quad and few other old British firms) They are still designing in merry old England, but production is in one of IAG's China factories. IAG is one of the few Chinese firms that don't scare me, they have been around a while and definitely havent screwed up Quad. The Knight series are real wood veneers and the woodwork is stunning, and I dont mean for the money. The model 5 uses some sort of modified transmission line for its bass alignment. It is a floor stander with two 150mm woofers and a dome tweeter. Looks like a lot of speaker for the money.

Sound wise, still breaking in, but I think they are staying. Besides using them for records, I use my system to play back my TV. So, far, the sub is off and there is plenty of bass for music and non explosions. They fill my room, good dynamics, love the bass so far. Resolution is pretty good, I would have given them an A+ had I not had the Audio Physics in last week.

I was prepared to spend up to 3K, these are under half that. Probably going to be hard to find, but if you have a dealer nearby, they are definitely worth a listen. My local dealer (a SHForum member ) just started carrying them. PM me if you would like to contact him.

Shiver and HiFi Guy like this.
  2. Krankenstien

Krankenstien Active Member

I’ve never heard your particular model but I’ve had a pair of Castle Howard S2’s for a couple of years and they are absolutely stunning. The sound and craftsmanship is as good or better than any other speaker I’ve ever seen. I absolutely love them and probably won’t ever let them go. Mine were made in Britain before the company went to China. I’ve always wondered about the quality of the Chinese Castle stuff.

Shiver likes this.
  3. swvahokie

The woodwork is truly stunning. If it said made in UK instead of China, I wouldn't blink an eye.

Krankenstien likes this.
  4. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I had a pair of Castle Avon's once. They were nice speakers but in the end I was looking for something that sounded a little more exciting.

I have to say though, the current Knight line looks interesting. Real wood veneers, appear easy to drive, and the floorstanding models have a type of transmission line design. The Knight 3 is a 2-way floorstander (don't seem to see many of those around) and all for under $1K Canadian. Tempting.

5. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I'm a happy owner of a pair of Castle Richmond 3i's, which were one of the last models to come out of their works in Yorkshire UK. They are a cracking little standmount that sound as good as they look.
    [​IMG]

Krankenstien likes this.
  6. swvahokie

There is pretty nothing on them on the web as far as reviews, conversations, etc. I had pretty much made up my mind to buy some Monitor Audio speakers if the Audio Physics didnt work out, but I had promised my dealer (KT88) that I would give these a chance after he gave me a killer deal on my TT.
    I finally put on a record after breaking them in on movies all day, they are pretty damn good. I wanted a speaker that would sound good on movies in a 2.1 setup, let me slum around on youtube, and then do my albums justice. I think I have my speaker and at about half the price I was willing to spend. Pretty happy right now.
    The fact that they look stunning is just dessert.

7. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I'm not sure how the Chinese made speakers are voiced, but the original UK Castles were reputed to have a warm slightly laid back presentation and the Chinese manufacturers were said to be keeping with that sort of sound. Apparently the Richmond 3i differs from the usual Castle house sound being a more exciting listen, which is probably accurate as I certainly wouldn't say they have a laid back presentation.

Glad that you're enjoying your Castle Knight's.

8. swvahokie

Still breaking in, so this is subject to change, but they don't really sound laid back right now. The hybrid transmission line has no midbass bloom, and the bass is going down into at least the high 30s. High end is nicely extended also. Dynamics are better than I expected, at least with vinyl. The Knights are letting me hear how good that new P6 really is. Not sure how the smaller Knights sound, but these big ones are pushing all the right buttons for me. I wanted a speaker that would not dictate what I would play, and so far, that is just what I have. Hopefully, that feeling will last past the honeymoon phase.

willboy likes this.
  9. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I don't know much about the Chinese Castle speakers so just been reading up on a handful of Castle Knight 5 reviews I found, all were very positive. Nice speakers you have there by the seem.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I wouldn't worry a bit. Peter Comeau is the brand manager and based in China. Google him for more info.

11. swvahokie

Thanks, he must know what he is doing. I still can't believe these speakers for the price. They have to be loss leading to build the brand back up. I bought them over the more expensive Monitor Audio Silver 300's which have been getting rave reviews everywhere. I guess IAG has the deep pockets to do it if they wanted. (It's not like a Chinese company hasn't done that before. :D).

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Designer of the Heybrook HB1, I think you can bet he knows his onions!

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Who's distributing Castle in the US now?

14. swvahokie

I think Bill said it was someone in Canada.

15. Theatersportage

Theatersportage New Member

Hi guys new to this forum but im running Castle knight 5's , Castkle Lincoln c2 Centre and a pair Castle knight 1's in the rear . with a set of kef t101s for atmos speakers and dual svs sb2000 subs for a 5.2.1 set up . all i can say is these speakers are are fantastic . I fell in love with their midrange quality and obviously the look . forget the made in china moniker they are worth every penny. the soft dome tweeters do not have the same attack as the metal domed counterparts which for me suits my taste just fine. they excel in two channel music as well as extremely dynamic for theater.

Planet of sound is the Canadian dealer and as far as i know there is no current dealer for us distribution.

Castle Knight 5 - What a Tower Speaker Should Be – Planet of Sound

16. swvahokie

Hey new guy, welcome to the forum. Nice to have another Castle owner on here. Mine are broken in nicely now, and are simply stunning. I am even more sure that IAG is selling these dirt cheap to build the brand back up. If they had a made in a UK placard and a 3500 dollar price tag, I wouldnt blink.

17. cinemalvr

cinemalvr New Member

Hi All, another newbie on this forum. Interested by this Castle discussion, Chinese vs British angle.

I own a pair of Castle Harlechs, S1, with all original drivers, in the rare Yew wood finish. I'm driving them with a Cambridge Audio 851A integrated amp. I just love them. I bought them 2 years ago fom a ex-audio dealer in Michigan for $1200 USD. Yes, expensive, but these are so rare... I was driving them with Cambridge Audio 651A (75W/ch) and found them a little lacking, especially in the bass. I added a Paradigm SE sub and that filled in the bottom end. Still found them lacking presence a bit. I know these are only 88dB efficient (HiFi Review measured them at 84dB!), so upgraded the 651A to an 851A class XD integrated (120 W/ch). Now we're talking! The speakers came alive and are absolutely majestic.

I have often wondered if there was any real improvement in the Harlechs S2, and now with the Chinese manufactured Knight 5's. A very good friend of mine works at Planet of Sound, but that's about 8 hrs drive away from me, so I haven't had a chance to audition them yet.

But for now, I'm in audiophile nirvana.

Castle Harlech S1; Cambridge Audio 851A; Cambridge Audio 651C.

18. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Good things generally happen when you trust your own ears.

cinemalvr likes this.
  19. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Nice story and glad you like them.

Had some Howard S2s. Such mature sounding and unflappable things. Great with piano.

cinemalvr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.