New speakers... or a different amp??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

Hi friends. We recently renovated our house and my listening room has changed drastically, and I'm feeling the need for bigger speakers. "Bigger" as in bigger sounding (to fill the space) and possibly in physical form.

As you can (kinda) see from the picture below, the speakers live in the part of the room that has a high ceiling, which is approximately 17 feet high. The speaker fronts are approx. 2 feet from the windows. They are on 34" stands which are a carryover from my previous set up. I needed the height to clear some other furniture. Also, the speakers and listening position are set up in an equilateral triangle of 8' 6".

To complicate things, the rear wall (the side of a staircase, no less) is 15 feet behind me, and the right wall ends and opens to an L shape at the listening position. Oh, and there's a loft above. A tricky space. :D

I really love the LS50 but also feel they are not quite filling this space the way I'd like them to. I should add that I love the way they sound, and the way they look. (unfortunately I spend more time looking at them than listening to them, so looks are somewhat important.)

For a while I was smitten with the R500, and when they went on clearance price I became even more smitten, haha. Today, for the third time, I almost pulled the trigger. But I am kinda lukewarm on them; I like 'em, but am not jazzed about 'em.

The new R series is coming out later this year and I am curious what they will do with it, but I don't really want to wait that long. And likely they will be too expensive. So (finally!) here's my question:

Do I continue the search for other speakers, a floorstander that will have the power and presence to fill my space? Or do I stick with the LS50 and try an amp with more power, like a Parasound Halo integrated, to help eek more performance out of my current KEFs? I'm currently running a Yamaha A-S701.

Budget is ballpark $2k, so I'd be looking at used for the Halo, but am open to other suggestions of amps, speakers, and/or other solutions.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If you were local-ish I'd suggest the RF-7's I'm trying to sell. Just too much speaker for our house, but probably perfect for your space.

PhxJohn likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

A bigger amp is not really going to help those 5.25" cones fill that massive space. My friend's Focal 936s could, at about twice your budget. My next suggestion would be Monitor Audio Silver 300. But if you like the LS50s so much, the word that comes to mind is "SUBWOOFER" Your Yamaha amp has a subwoofer output, though I wonder if it has any highpass filtering for the mains (without which your LS50s will still be straining, limiting the music).

4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

In my experience, to nicely fill a large space like yours with music, you really do need large floorstanders. Going by more powerful amplification alone will not get you there using small monitors.

For floorstanders I'd look into offerings by KEF, Focal, Monitor Audio, Spendor, Tannoy. If you buy used you can get something great for 2k.

Ponzio, rodentdog, HDOM and 1 other person like this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I would buy a tube amplifier and keep the speakers for now. Best deal is Yaqin MC-100b. Change the factory stock 12AX7s to RCA black plate and 6SN7s to Sylvania 6SN7GTA. The sound after tube changes is stunning. The amp is very well built, but needs an aftermarket phono-stage.

6. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

He wants to fill a larger room with sound. While we might like our tube amps, it's just not going to address is goal here.

Seems like the others are saying bigger speakers and that makes sense to me too OP

George P likes this.
  7. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

Floorstanders to buy used.

Mike from NYC and rodentdog like this.
  8. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Yes for that room floorstander is better, why not elac new floorstanders?

9. Lebowski

Maybe the KEF R series is the way to go after all. I can't find anything else with the sound/looks/price that works for me.

My only hope in waiting for the new R series is that they will incorporate some aspects of the LS50, but who knows. And even if they do, they're probably going to be out of my price range...

10. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Nice living area, if awkward to work with!

I'd look to some larger speakers for sure - especially if filling the space is more important than pin-point imaging in a single location. Can't see just changing the amp giving the desired effect.

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

60 watts per channel not enough?

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

If you asked me to sum up, in as few words as possible, the truest thing I've learned in 40 years of being an audiophile I'd say:

'Little room, little speakers, big room, big speakers'.

13. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a similar size room, not as tricky. If you can find a pair of KEF iq90 used they image like crazy. I also use a pair of Axiom M100v4. I run 4 speakers A+B. The Axioms have 7 speakers per cabinet. Looks like you have nice Renewal by Andersen windows.

14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The R500 and R700 received a couple of very good reviews, but many more tepid reviews. They were not a home run at all for KEF. When I finally got around to auditioning the R500, I was also underwhelmed.

If you want to step up into the big leagues with a new integrated amp, stick with Yamaha and audition the A-S1100. It's a very different integrated amp from your A-S701 - almost night and day. As good as the A-S701 is - excellent for the money without a doubt - the A-S1100 is a true high-end component, IMO. It will bring out the very best in your LS50s and let you hear exactly how wonderful the LS50s really are. If the time still comes for you to replace the LS50s with something larger, the A-S1100 will still be there. It can drive anything, and does so with astonishing clarity, control and power.

I have never had the chance to run a Yamaha A-S1100 and a Parasound Halo side-by-side in a comparison. I've auditioned both components though, and my personal preference is the A-S1100. I current own an A-S2100.

15. Any chance you can put your Kef's on the long wall? They will sound better there..as it stands, looks like you get not only the best seat in the house but the only seat in the house! I have my Harbeth's in a similar layout and they give me all the bass I could ever need.

Lebowski and theron d like this.
  16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

See if you have someone near who would let you audition Tektons. The Pendragons and the Enzos seem to fit your needs and are in your budget new.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man I gotta say you have to figure out how to do both, cuz THAT would be awesome!

Lebowski likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Hah! Fun idea but probably not feasible right now. However, might be fun to think about...

Manimal likes this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd add "And get them out as far from the wall as practicable."

Ponzio likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There is a way. Get two subwoofers. They have their own amps and apply them where you need it, to the low frequencies. Your LS50 only go solidly down to about 80hz, at which point they roll off steeply below 70hz. That is never going to sound anything but thin in a big room with a big window. You will need to cross the sub over to the speakers at 80hz and allow the subs to fill in the bass properly. One for each channel, for each corner under that window, will do the trick.
    -Bill

defmoot and Lebowski like this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes yes

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ah, ... s-t-e-r-e-o .
    :cool:
    -Bill

23. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

To me that sounds like good advice, either a subwoofer or bigger speakers are likely to give more satisfaction than a better amp because it looks like the weak link there are your speakers.

24. Lebowski

Yeah, maybe. I've been using one of those inexpensive Pioneer Andrew Jones subwoofers lately, and have come close to buying a KEF Kube, but have been having trouble committing (to any change, that is). I'm clearly very attached to the LS50, and of course still enjoying them, but feel I'm missing something. I did an in-home audition of the R500 a few months and liked them well enough, but they didn't seem to sparkle quite as much as the LS50. But at the same time, I'm not 100% sure I can honestly tell the difference.

At this point I just think that a bigger speaker (or maybe just a subwoofer) is needed to move enough air in this room. If only there were others that appealed to me on multiple levels as much as the KEFs.

25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If you like the speakers then a "good" subwoofer will make all the difference but buy a good one. For video I use a Jensen which I only bought (x2) because their were cheap and it is just borderline suitable but I wouldn't like it for serious listening, the sub in my car sounds a lot better than them so it pays to buy good quality for your main, you might have to spend 1k or close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.