New Speakers or Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bwalk63, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwalk63

bwalk63 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I do like the reviews I have read on the Yaqin. Wonder how they would drive my speakers.

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

There's Mark 2 version of the D3020,more power.

bwalk63 likes this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Actually, a phone pre and a pre-out.. not more power.

4. bwalk63

Yes I have seen they update the D3020

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

From Stereophile "the D 3020 clipped (defined as when the THD+N reaches 1%) at 58Wpc into 8 ohms." NAD D 3020 integrated amplifier Measurements That is actually a quite healthy amount of power, as much as most any receiver will manage. So your amplifier power is fine.

I suspect you either have some poor room interaction going on (pictures??), or you just don't happen to like the sound of the speakers so much. And I suspect there is not much low bass, so due to human hearing (Google "Fletcher Munson") you then have to turn up the volume a lot to hear any bass at all. With only a 5" woofer in a small cabinet, maybe the bass and midbass are just congesting. I would actually recommend changing to towers; I think you could find something to fit your budget, and standmounts give up cabinet space which could be used for better bass.

For instance, these Polk Audio RTi A7 (Cherry) are within your budget on a nice sale. As an alternative, these Klipsch Klipsch Reference R-26F would have a different kind of sound, and are among the most sensitive mass-production speakers out there. Of course you could change to bigger stand-mount speakers with a 6" woofer, but I don't know that it would improve your current situation.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. bwalk63

I cant seem to figure out how to post a picture, but my avatar is where I sit. I sit about 12' from the speakers. The position the speakers are now seem to be the best placement about 6' apart. Dont get me wrong my system is not horrible, just certain music I have to crank. These speakers have plenty of bass for me, so I dont "think" that is it. Just played "Who's Next" sounded ok until I got up to about 92db then it sounded it great! but way to loud unless I am the only one here. Family needs to leave so I can get on with life right? Playing The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust at 93db again sounds wonderful, at 84db which is why wheelhouse there is not much detail. Now all that being said I am an old bastard, so maybe my ears just suck. The towers are out of the equation, the wife says no way old man.

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Yaqin mentioned produces 60 watts RMS per channel. That power level will easily drive your speaks to very loud volumes.

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Well, I think you need a beefier amp and likely a speaker upgrade.

I agree with a previous poster that a SS amp should have at least 100 watts. The reason why your rock music doesnt sound great at lower volumes is that low freq sounds (like drums and bass) need more power. That doesnt mean that you will use 100 watts all the time, only when the kick drum and lower bass is heard. I imagine that a decent amp with 100 watts/channel can be had for $400 or less.

Why dont you borrow and try a 100 watt amp from someone and see the difference it may make with you current speakers?

Speaking of speakers, I have never heard speakers with woofers smaller than 8" sound good for rock music. 5" can be fine for jazz, but rock requires that air gets moved, at all volumes, and that doesnt get done with a small driver and 35 watts.

My guess is you will hear a difference with 100 watts, and then save up and get new speakers later (with at least 8" drivers)

bwalk63 likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Huh??? They have an even lower sensitivity than the speakers the OP currently has and power is a major concern due to the amp in question.

Hard to follow your reasoning.

bwalk63 likes this.
  10. bwalk63

Sound advice, more power could do it for sure, so my thinking is new more powerful amp or more sensitive speakers

11. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

12. bwalk63

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I would look to at least 93dB and up for speakers that can be driven with low wattage amps. Vintage Klipsch, Zu Audio, Decware, Tekton and Omega can all be driven with just a couple watts and they are all good sounding at lower volumes. These very efficient speakers can also be a gateway to zero negative feedback SET and SEP amplification (which are my favorite amps).

bwalk63 likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

OP, just to be clear, are you talking about the current D3020 that's a little desk top Class D amp?

NAD Electronics | D 3020

It seems some people here are talking about old NAD 3020 integrated amps that haven't been made in decades.

NAD 3020 - Wikipedia

Those are two completely different things.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This. Ask a friend or see if a shop will let you put down a deposit on a demo unit to try out in your home.

bwalk63 likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Really? She prefers the looks of speakers on stands? I find that a bit surprising, but tastes vary. Show her a picture of cherry wood Polks and see what she thinks just for research's sake.
    Now as for the bass (not the treble, to echo Meghan Trainor ha ha), it's a puzzling situation. You say they have plenty of bass...but you have to turn it up. I suspect what they have is MID-bass, giving the IMPRESSION of "plenty of bass" but not really satisfying until you crank it because of the speakers limited low frequency response interacting with human hearing. But the only fix is speakers that truly go lower, which will be really hard to do with stand-mounts. Oh, the ELACs can be pretty amazing, but they do it by being less efficient apparently, which might not be a good match for your D3020 (which by the way, cannot properly connect a subwoofer, i.e. there is not provision for cutting bass out of the main speakers).

17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Could have sworn I read they increased the power slightly. Very good amp though.

18. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

The right way to build a system is to find the speakers you like and then to buy an amp with (more than) enough power to drive the speakers. Since you have both an amp and speakers I suggest you'll buy the best speakers you can afford, start with the existing amp and save up to buy a better amp later.

We all have a different opinion what a healthy amount of power is, some people still use set amps with 3 watts and they are satisfied. I would only check amps with at least 100 watts/8 ohm, personally I believe you can never have enough power. I'm speaking from my experience, I had a small amp (Yaqin), I had medium powered and high powered amps. If you like to turn up the volume the only way to make sure the sound won't be distorted and shrill is to have MANY watts. I have always been in a limited budget so when I'm looking for a component I don't limit myself in the HiFi brands, I also check the pro market and of course buying used helps.

bwalk63 and Ponzio like this.
  19. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

My experience is to spend the most u can on speakers and then power. The NAD should be more than adequate for now to feed a good pair of speakers. Ur budget of $600-$800 is a tough starting point. If you’re willing to raise your budget to $1,000 and buy used, I think you’ll find more choices and more bang for buck, like a pair of one owner owned KEF LS50’s for $800 to $900, which normally retail for $1,300 new.

Night and day tonally between the Wharfdale’s & the KEF’s. The KEF’s are more detailed & dynamic. I found the Wharfdale’s to be a bit too laid back and lacking for my taste during a demo. Having said that, I found the KEF’s do become more “alive” as more power is applied. In time I would also get a sealed subwoofer (re: SVS S2000) to fill out the bottom end for music. I have a Yamaha RX-A2040 (SS AVR) running this setup in a 20’x20’ room. People are just blown away that a pair of bookshelves’, per se, sound so “filling” in that big of a room. Good luck in ur quest.

mtrot likes this.
  20. bwalk63

That is just one thing she will not change her mind about, believe me I have tried, she loves the looks what can I say.

21. bwalk63

You are correct. I never could find the word I was looking for. Laid back is it. Not unpleasant at all, good sound, but not forward enough. Thanks for pointing that out. I think speakers that are more forward and dynamic are something I should try out. Thanks for setting my thoughts straight.

22. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Well, then IMO, you have to either pony up for some pricier,more capable, and more efficient bookshelf speakers with 8 inch woofers in them, or add a sub.

bwalk63 likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Then I'd say you need something where the speakers can bolt to the stands, and also to the wall with an earthquake strap. And train the kid not to touch certain things. That is sure a process! By the way, I went to school in Champaign, drove through there a couple of summers ago. The campus is kind of the same but kind of not. As for the speakers, I've always liked NHT. Mostly I'd urge to get to a larger woofer, and a larger enclosure that your wife likes the looks of.

24. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Give a listen to some Klipsch bookshelf speakers... they are very efficient & should give you the more "forward" sound you're looking for.

25. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Besides ELAC, I'm not sure what might be a speaker upgrade for $600. Same thing with Amps. You may luck into a used Rotel unit, but it sounds like you like your NAD. There are some used speaker options, as well. I would say that you can find some floorstanders that would have the same footprint as your bookshelf with stands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.