New Springsteen Box "Album Collection '73-'84'" (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I've read through all of this thread and the previous one and one thing has become abundantly clear to me. People that read DR numbers or know when something is "loud" by where their volume knob is are not giving these remasters a try and don't understand how modern mastering done well works.

You really need to free your mind of your prejudices about "loud" masterings and give these an honest chance. If you do you will find these are the best sounding versions of Bruce's early work period. If you aren't able to look past your "loudness" bias I feel sorry for you because you are really missing out on something very special.

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My guess is folks know what they do and do not like in terms of sound. Telling them to get past the fact they don't like the sound of a major component of these remasters makes no sense. To state that those who feel different than you regarding sound of these remasters are "prejudiced" in some way shows a possible lack of understanding into potential [unintended?] ramifications of the word. Not to mention biased in itself.

Sound quality is all opinion inside the ear of the beholder.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    ledsox, quicksrt and Starwanderer like this.
  3. Amen !!!

4. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I have spent two days listening through this box set and this is simply the best I have ever heard these albums, and since my mom is a die hard Springsteen fan I am saying this as someone who grew up with the vinyl played constantly throughout my life and as someone who thinks the previous CD offerings lacked depth and fullness. Too loud??? Too compressed...Um not to my ears.

Carserguev, Mij Retrac and Trapper J like this.
  5. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'd be in for #2 but pass on 3

6. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

CAN I GET A WITNESS!

John Grimes and Mij Retrac like this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mazzy's found religion! He's seen the future of Rock & Roll and there's no DR to be found.

905 likes this.
  8. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I'm sorry, but i don't believe you DID read all this thread and the previous. .. because if you had, you would have known that this post of yours was going to be reviewed and corrected by Rick! And you would have realized that what you are about to post not only makes no sense, but also shows a possible lack of understanding of the unintended ramifications of the word prejudice,..

Lol

Sandinista, quicksrt and Mij Retrac like this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sorry if the question has been answered, but are there plans at this point to release these CDs individually? I'm salivating for RIVER and BITUSA but don't need all the others.

10. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yes and it is my belief that most of the people that have complained that these are too loud haven't given these a chance because they either 1 looked at the DR or wave files and made assumptions or 2 listened to 1 minutes or less of each album and knew it was louder than the originals so again made assumptions.
    It is obvious to me by reading the negative reviews that say they are too loud that this is what has been done.

kevywevy, Carserguev and xj32 like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. I'm continually amazed how many people here come up with ways to avoid enjoying great sounding CDs and records by rejecting them based on DR files, imperfect labels and similar self-perceived defects. Just listen!
    The box sounds great.

supermd, Mike McMann, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  12. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Could you please summarize your comment and the answer given - your link doesn't show for me...

I had asked them via mail whether the 24-96 will be available and whether buyers of the 24-44 will be allowed to dl the 24-96 as well maybe via an upgrade. The answer I got:

'Sorry, if another higher quality download format is available in the future it will be a completely new product.'

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  13. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I am halfway through the Vinyl-Box, from Asbury Park to Darkness.
    Most of this music is new to me. This Box-Set was a welcome chance for me to dive deeper in
    the music of Bruce Springsteen. There always was a Bruce-Hole in my collection.
    I think these records sound really good. Natural with a lot of warm feeling. To say it short: right.
    Not audiophile recorded but I like them really. As german the lyric sheets a very welcome, there always
    is a problem to understand him. From these four Albums i like Asbury Park and Darkness the most.
    The latter is a really strong album.

So hearing forward to the next 3.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I listened to the first four last night on CD and thought they were very good -- the best I've ever heard them, particularly the first two.

15. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Thank you very much for asking them. It is really good to know. So I'll hold off until they release the 24/96. I don't want to pay twice.

16. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

All of the Greetings promos (and early copies) that I have ever seen have the postcard cover, some include a bio sheet. The fancy cover, bio sheet, and early high profile gigs lead me to believe that Bruce received a pretty solid record company push with the first lp. When that failed to ignite, however, record company interest seemed to ebb (generally) until Born to run.

17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

No around here it's mostly Sound quality is all about the DR number. (and/or mastered by Hoffman)
    People see a number and it's all over as if by magic. No need to listen, it's a DR 8!!!!!!!

I've made it through the vinyl set and pretty much every disc sounds phenomenal. I'd say the box is worth it for The River alone, but then I could say the same for Darkness, or Greetings, etc. Just a great set and every disc sounds better than my old pressings.

18. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I couldn't care less about DR numbers; I've now played the CD box set a few times and I'm very pleased and happy with the SQ. These are now my preferred versions particularly The Wild...., Darkness, and The River.

Mij Retrac and Carserguev like this.
  19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

OK... I was just going off the Discogs listings. They don't specify the postcard cover until the reissue.
    I *have* seen copies in the wild without the postcard cover, but I don't remember if they were early copies or much later ones... Or possibly record club?

Anyway, I swore I wouldn't drop over $100 on an entire set of albums I already own in their original format, but the new masterings are changing my mind. My hope is that I'll hear improvements from BTR on. (The first two albums really sound nice in the OPs. The others definitely have room for improvement.)
    And hey, maybe I can sell my "original set" of 7 (all VG/NM-) for $50 or something to someone who hates the idea of digital transfers. :)

20. Original had the flip out cover. Must have been latter issues

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

^^Hmm. Mine is a '75 reissue and it has the flip out cover too. Confusing.

22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Not sure a 75 would be a reissue since the album was issued in 1973.

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Are you saying there are those judging the sound quality of the vinyl set based on DR numbers of the CD's? Or did you just intermingle different points into the same post?

Judging sound quality strictly by DR # is foolhardy at best, especially since the algorithm unfairly penalizes low end. Still, for example, if an original CD had a DR rating of 12 on a track and a remaster is an 8 or less on the same track, that could be cause for concern for someone without the disposable income for the full CD box set. However there are samples on many sites they can get to do a somewhat fair compare. Of course there are always "unsavory" means to get the full tracks lossless to do a real compare or reviewing but let's not bring the "holier than thou" crowd into this thread :)

24. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Thanks for that info. The record biz at it's shoddiest right there.
    And, they still have the Plangent wording on The River page on Bruce's site. Just extremely sloppy.

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.