New St. Vincent Album Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Here she is at KCRW Studios performing some of her songs from "Strange Mercy and giving an interview about the album inbetween. It's well worth watching and she's really funny and charming in it. The interview starts at 14:30, but you should watch the perfomances anyway (Annie is always better live).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    SammyJoe likes this.
  2. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Thank you, wolfram!

wolfram likes this.
  3. wolfram

My pleasure. I could spend all day looking at St. Vincent videos (and often do :laugh:).

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

She did a wide ranging interview on the Nerdist podcast recently. She did not discuss technical recording issues much except for a segment where she discussed an abandoned attempt to record in analog which was not compatible with her track building approach.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/02/nerdist-podcast-st-vincent/

mikeyt and wolfram like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thanks wolfram for the videos and surely feel free to add any necessary additions to these.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    wolfram likes this.
  6. wolfram

They sure have a lot of fun there. :)

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Despite mine and others' complaining earlier about the vinyl, I wouldn't call it atrocious. It's "OK." Some copies seem to be worse than others and it can be annoying when you pay $21+ for a single LP and it comes covered in fingerprints and/or paper debris or is warped and/or off-center. Still, I think the LP is OK.

8. wolfram

I actually listened to the whole thing. Good fun. I liked "Digital Wetness". :laugh:

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Perhaps old news, but I just noticed this morning that the CD is also available in a jewel case. When I bought mine, in the week of release, the only CD version that HMV had in stock was the tri-fold card package, which looks pretty, but is somewhat impractical to use and store.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This is "Pieta"(starts around 1:15) which is apparently an original song that can only be heard live. Not commercially available.

One Louder, wolfram and mikeyt like this.
  11. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

Gettin' all psyched up about seeing her this Friday! Digging the album a lot. Took awhile to "hit" me ... but it certainly has. Wish she'd do a GUITAR album.

12. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

No apparently about it. It's a St. Vince original, and "Pieta" is the title, according to the setlists. For example:

[​IMG]

13. wolfram

"Pieta" is a cool song. The drums make it sound like something from Kate Bush's "The Dreaming". Too bad it's not on the album.

One Louder likes this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Just bought this album this week, and it's my first try of her stuff. Liking it, especially Birth in Reverse and Prince Johnny. Which album do I try next? I have a few bucks left on an iTunes gift card, what are here 5 older "must have" songs?

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Get Strange Mercy, then Actor. Marry Me is good too, but not as good, IMO.

One Louder and guidedbyvoices like this.
  16. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Actor is my favorite, and Strange Mercy is also excellent. She really turned the corner musically with Actor. I also think both Actor and Strange Mercy work very well as albums. I'd recommend listening to them that way, as opposed to single songs.

And, especially if you like horns, be sure to also check out her album with David Byrne.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  17. wolfram

I too would recommend "Actor" or "Strange Mercy" as the next album. At the moment I would lean a bit more towards "Actor", but there really is no bad choice to be made here. But be prepared to both albums sounding a bit less electronical and pop than "St. Vincent".

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

and that's probably how my tastes normally lie. Not sure if I'll absorb this new one a little longer or if I'll go out and grab these others tonight. Kind of regretting missing her play in town last week, but I've seen 6 shows this month, gotta skip something I suppose

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

She's been great the two times I've seen her. This is the first time she's put out an album and not booked a show in my town. Hmm. I guess she's getting too big for the clubs.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

My favourite of the non-album tracks. In 2011 she did this cover song on the Fallon show despite the fact it's not on the album and her version has never been commercially available.

PennyLanes, wolfram and mikeyt like this.
  21. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

Saw St. Vincent Friday night in Dallas. Before I go on, I'm a HUGE St. Vincent fan. To summarize:

1. It was the WORST-SOUNDING show I've ever been to. And I've been to a lot of shows.
    2. It had the ABSOLUTE WORST opening act I've ever seen! If you're a friend of this woman I apologize, but she SUUUUUUUCKED!
    3. The House of Blues has one of those commercial screens that's on ALL THE TIME when a musician is not actually performing. Headache-inducing, MTV-style, rapid edit nonsense ... that you cannot escape from.
    4. An announcement at the show's beginning asked people to not record the show with their smartphones ... well, guess what? I never felt so much like grabbing and smashing.

I guess Annie played and sang good ... I don't know because I had my fingers in my ears the whole time. One of the biggest disappointments of my concert-going life. Her show with Byrne was so awesome, too.

Sigh.

22. wolfram

Sorry to hear about the bad sound. That truely sucks, because the concert should have been great. It was for me.

23. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I haven't head her talk much about her production process but she discusses her preference for digital and computerized production on her recent episode of The Nerdist podcast.

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. The sound at the 9:30 Club was to die for.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Curious if you received any response?

It took a month for my replacement to come, and it's almost worse than the first copy. The vinyl looks like it was dropped on a dirty basement floor. I'm really amazed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.