New Star Trek Fan Film: The Paradise Makers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kevin In Choconut Center, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator Thread Starter

So, I was enjoying some music on Youtube yesterday, listening to a really good play list of mono 45 singles, when I clicked on a link for another list. I noticed a recommended video that is a new Star Trek fan film, titled "The Paradise Makers". I didn't have enough time to watch it but I did check out just the first few minutes. I bookmarked it and watched it this morning.

And wow, am I glad I did. This is a 2-part episode with a total running time of 2 hours and twenty-five minutes. I do not wish to give away any of the plot, but I do want to share some general thoughts on it.

First off, the episode is set just a few months into the five year mission. The way the characters behave reflects this quite nicely. There's a short but very nice scene with a character we've seen only seen once before. I don't want to ruin the surprise. I'll just say that it's a nice thing.

The animation is a blend of traditional style and what looks more like computer generated imagery that's pretty realistic looking. I've seen feature films that didn't look this good. As someone with a background in video production, I know that a lot of effort had to be put into this. I also have worked in the field of audio and except for one sequence of about half a minute, the sound mix is quite good to my ears.

I found the film to be well written for the most part. A few lines could have been rewritten to work better, but hey, I know that no script is perfect. The voice acting is good for the most part, though the voice for McCoy took a little getting used to. I got the feeling that the actor in question needed a little time to get it right, and I can live with the minor imperfection. Both Kirk and Spock are pitch perfect to my ears.

If you are a fan of the original series, you might very well really like this. To me, it truly felt like a very good first season episode of the original series. There was reference in the comments section that it was once deleted and then uploaded again, so if you have the time to spare, you might want to watch this while you can.

Final thoughts: On a scale of 1 to 10, as a film I rate this an 8. As a Star Trek story, also an 8. There are a boatload of bits and pieces of Trek lore, most of which haven't been seen or referred to since their original appearances. The sound effects are classic. The writer got the star dates right. The animators even recreated both the opening and ending credits perfectly.

I have no idea if the people behind this are unaware of the guidelines CBS has issued for fan films or if they chose to ignore those guidelines. I'm just glad they made the damn thing.

To find this just search for the title on Youtube. I did so and found it with no problem.

Any comments anyone has on this are welcomed, of course. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.