New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think the comment was necessarily related to NuTrek. As someone who hates almost everything about NuTrek, I'm more than willing to give the new series a chance and I've heard more positive things about it so far than negative things.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Bryan Fuller has tasted blood with Hannibal so to speak..
    he's pushed the limits of what he can do..
    And won't be backing down.. cussing and screwing alien species
    and cutting heads off and eating them will be the main theme..

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

You say that like it's a bad thing. Hannibal, after all, was a comedy.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt it. He can update the old formula, but he cannot do anything he wants as he still has to answer to CBS and others.

greelywinger likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

New teaser trailer featuring the titular vessel, Discovery!

wayne66, Deesky, greelywinger and 2 others like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Nice!

wayne66 and Encuentro like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The teaser has a 2001 A Space Odyssey feel about it, from the opening shot to the end with the obelisk like trek logo.

I'm not sure I love the ship design with the delta wing type treatment. Also in some shots, it looks like it's made from raw iron, which is...different.

It does look cinematic though.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

10. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Some of the posters of the other Trek sites have an intense dislike for the look of the ship. Since I am old school Trek, that does not bother me. I prefer good writing and characters. I want good storytelling. Special effects always look bad later on. Great characters and stories last longer. I also like the name U.S.S. Discovery. It reminds me of what Star Trek is about. Discovering the unknown. Meeting new people from different planets. Other good names for the ship include U.S.S. Explorer and Endeavor. This is a good start in my opinion.

Deesky and Encuentro like this.
  11. Looks like one of the proposed rejected designs for the Enterprise for Phase II.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, one of Ralph McQuarrie's.

It was rejected for a reason...

wayneklein likes this.
  13. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It just occurred to me, and further to my earlier comment about a 2001:ASO connection, Discovery was also the name of the ship. Maybe they'll discover an ancient obelisk from a long gone species in the Delta quadrant! :)

wayne66 likes this.
  15. Zardoz agrees with Zardoz.
    It does look kind of funky

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

McQuarrie's design was at least consistent with the rest of his work (see Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica), and looked - for lack of a better term - very '70s.

This thing is a bad mish-mash of movie Trek and that McQuarrie design. In addition to being an ugly shape, the saucer section looks like the hubcap off some Detroit clunker, circa 1973.

One odd thing about that trailer - it references Jerry Goldsmith's Klingon music just a bit, and some have noted what sounds like the "cloaking" sound effect. The engineering section of the Discovery looks almost Klingon. Is it possible the ship is some sort of Klingon/Federation joint project? That would be an interesting development.

Deesky likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wonder if CBS gave much thought to the name of the new series Star Trek Discovery, because it will forever be know as STD!

sunspot42, Quark1134 and Encuentro like this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That joke is making the rounds on social media. However, the other series don't us the initials for Star Trek, just going with the subtitle for the abbreviation: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. So I guess this new series could be abbreviated DIS? Maybe? 'Hey, what did you think of the season finale of DIS?' Could work.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I reckon DIS is just as bad, makes it sound like you're dissing the show!

But even if they do make DIS official, social media and human nature being what it is, it's almost guaranteed to be referred to as STD. :D

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It doesn't matter to me which timeline it's set in, but it matters to some, so here ya go.
    [​IMG]

Deesky likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, the timeline 'wars' is something I find really comical. Who cares? Space is space (and whichever the universe) and all that matters is how engaging are the characters and how well is the story told. Give me that, I can even live with ugly ships! :)

Encuentro likes this.
  22. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'll be a fan of the non episodic episodes.
    I like that each episode was it's own story and was able to cover a broad range of stories.
    If they make each season 1 story, it will cut out the variety, in my opinion.

Also I hope it's not like the latest movies with a very young rebellious cast.

Deesky likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Why does it have to be one timeline. It's a new show with new characters. Why would timeline matter?
    Could it fit into the new timeline or are they relying on the old timeline.
    Reminds me of the 'drunk Troi scene' from ST First Contact... What was I sayin'?

Darryl

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You make it sound as if I was arguing for a particular timeline, when in fact I argued the opposite. :confused:

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It looks like a roulette wheel.

sunspot42 and Erik Tracy like this.