New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it that way. Should've used a :shrug:

Darryl

2. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I had heard that it may be set between Stat Trek VI and TNG, which I think would be great, but that ship footage seems to imply something earlier.

I'm happy that they seem to want to be really progressive with the stories. I like it when Star Trek shows its liberal heritage proudly.

misterdecibel, Deesky and Encuentro like this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I don't know anything about Ralph McQuarries designs from the 70's but the first thing that went thru my head as i saw that clip was the ship looks like a cross between a Federation ship and a Klingon vessel. I think there is a story there.

rswitzer and Encuentro like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deesky likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

May not be final, but the article says "...what we saw in the Star Trek Discovery trailer isn’t the final ship, though it probably is a very good representation of what the final ship will look like".

So it sounds like they may end up putting on some lipstick on that pig! :D But meh, it's not a deal breaker for me - the series just has to be be good!

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

As part of the story, I like the idea of the ship being a Klingon/Federation hybrid.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I would think the design looks closer to ENT than TNG.

Darryl

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

As for the ship design?

Well to me it just looks like some hurriedly put together semi-pro CGI work done (probably by someone who isn't a real Trek fanatic) as a favour for some pitch meetings very early on.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Just came across an interesting article which notes that Duncan Jones, director of Moon (loved that film), Source Code and Warcraft, has been chatting with Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller on Twitter:

I hope this new Star Trek tv series goes brainy rather than just action. Miss STNG so!
    — Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) July 24, 2016

WE GOT YOU COVERED, MR. JONES. #StarTrekDisco #StarTrekDiscovery Duncan Jones on Twitter »
    — Bryan Fuller (@BryanFuller) July 25, 2016

@ManMadeMoon DON'T YOU THREATEN ME WITH A GOOD TIME
    — Bryan Fuller (@BryanFuller) July 26, 2016

Wow, I gave voice to the exact same thing as Jones tweeted (in the ST Beyond thread). The replies are encouraging!

The other article info was that:

"...well-versed pilot director David Semel (Heroes, Person Of Interest, Goliath and The Man In The High Castle) is set to helm the opening episode of the show".

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

hope this is as good as Enterprise !

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

:yikes:

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, the final season at least tried...

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

STAR TREK: Discovery is already profitable, even before it begins production! CBS CEO Les Moonves spoke to the current status of their CBS All Access streaming platform:

"Our CBS All Access and Showtime OTT streaming services have surpassed two million subscribers, about evenly split, well ahead of where we’d thought we’d be this early in the game.

We’ve licensed our Star Trek franchise in the international marketplace, guaranteeing our new series will be profitable even before it launches and begins driving [subscriptions] here in the US on CBS All Access".

Discovery will be distributed via Netflix to 188 countries – not counting either the USA or Canada.

Joe Ianniello, CBS’s Chief Operating Officer, spoke to the choice to license Discovery to one international outlet – Netflix – rather than dozens of local distributors in different countries:

"The reason the Netflix buy was so healthy [is because Netflix] has already seen what Star Trek is doing on their service. From day one, it performed extraordinarily well".

So, I want to know when will Netflix finally decide to do a serious scifi original production (I don't count Sense8)? Given their resources and access to talent, a serious, space based serialized drama would be awesome.

greelywinger and Encuentro like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So more info out today. First, regarding the US delivery system, CBS All Access:
    Insert four letter words here. Are there ads on Netflix? NO. Are there adds on Amazon Prime? NO. Are there ads on Hulu (if you're paying)? NO. (do correct me if I'm wrong, I only have Netflix :D) I guess it will be automatically profitable like they've been saying if they're charging $6.99 a month for ADS.

TrekCore posted this interesting fact for comparison purposes:
    For anyone from outside the USA, this is what we complain about here in the States.

No words. New post about the show on TrekCore is:
    Bryan Fuller Finally Reveals STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Details | TrekCore Blog »

Now onto info about the show:
    (bullet points come from this reddit post:
    New information about Star Trek: Discovery • /r/startrek » )

In summary? BRING IT ON. Need more Trek, man!

Encuentro likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah that sucks, however, they're already profitable as of now, and not because of how much they will charge. The profitability is due to the worldwide distribution deals that they made. Streaming profits will just be icing on the cake. What's the bet that they'll also have an ad free tier for extra cost?

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that they're doing another TOS prequel (set 10 years before Kirk's five year mission). Is this really going boldly...? I hope they can avoid Enterprise-like canon/narrative traps. And how will the tech look? By rights it should look no better than in TOS, but how are you going to sell that in today's UHD world with audience high-tech expectations? This sounds like an unnecessary straitjacket. Fans have been crying out for a new Trek series (post 1960s!), not another TOS era retread.

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think you could do it - create a world 10 years before Kirk's time but make it palatable to contemporary audiences - but it'll require some serious creativity...

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not writing it off, it's just that I don't see the TPTB's obsession with the TOS timeline. I think they could do something interesting with Section 31 - I've always enjoyed those eps in DS9 as they have darker overtones, which would make it more realistically gritty. And the focus not being on the Captain could also be an interesting take.

20. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

mmmm interesting 10 years before Kirk's time. I'm going to presume that the ships are going to look very similar in flavor to TOS USS Enterprise, even though they're going to use a completely different model and shape, but something that resembles the ships of that era "pre constellation class". It's going to be interesting to explore space in that time frame.

21. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Well they also mentioned how they're going to remodel some of the aliens. I think they are going to feel comfortably free to make things look however they want, using the original look as a design guide. Which really is the only thing that makes sense.

As for the timeline, I also don't see an alternative, other than setting it WAY past what's been portrayed so far, like 100 years at least after Voyager or something. But even then you'd have to somehow contend with the alternate timeline nonsense of the films.

The promise of the show Enterprise was that they'd be able to alternate between stand-alone stories and tie into legacy canon as they liked. It just failed because the show was terribly done, but that is a matter of execution, the idea I think still has merit.

22. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Can't say I'm super excited for another "prequel" show to the original series.

What about something in the original move timeline?

I think the powers-that-be missed a trick in the 90s by not doing a mini-series with Captain Sulu and George Takei. There was that one Voyager episode that hinted at it, and it could have been cool for a 10-part show of some sort, set in the aftermath of "The Undiscovered Country".

greelywinger likes this.
  23. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Putting the new movies aside, since the new show follows the timeline from TOS, would that mean that Klingons would not have ridges on their heads? If so, die hard star trek fans will have a hard time explaining the inconsistencies.

24. The horror! :D

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Enterprise had a two-part episode that explained the ridge situation. Neat story, with some minor ties to other Trek canon.
    Basically the ridgeless Klingons were attempts at genetic engineering using Augment (supersoldiers modelled after Khan's genetic engineering from the 1990s, a topic also explored on ENT in some episodes with Brent Spiner as Arik Soong, an apparent ancestor of Data's creator Noonien Soong) DNA that went wrong, but the Klingons took advantage of it anyway.
    Affliction (episode) »
    Divergence (episode) »