New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

This the area I would like to see explored. Between "The Undiscovered Country" & TNG.
    Apparently there were 2 other enterprises during that time that are briefly mentioned.

It's hard to do a prequel show, as you're tied in to a particular look & feel.

Darryl

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The Enterprise C had a woman captain who was very well-received by the fans in her one appearance ("Yesterday's Enterprise"). Of course the role would have to be recast, but they already have something to go on.

Of course, we already know how that story ends . . . although that could add its own pathos to the series.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There are countless alternatives. You don't need to make huge jumps in time as a differentiator. Space is big. Really big. My preference would be the era of TNG/DS9, you might say 'modern' Trek. There are countless stories that could be told that existed in parallel to those shows' timeline - stories that don't necessarily focus on the traditional Captain based exploration missions (like DISCO). Another words, it would be analogous to what Disney is doing with the parallel Star Wars movies.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Enterprise B launched in GENERATIONS and was damaged in its trial run. It was commanded by Captain John Harriman (Alan Ruck). There isn't any stories regarding the ship's main voyages.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I think it would be hard to justify why a major Starfleet ship is having its own adventures and not helping deal with the existential threats of the Borg and/or The Dominion.

6. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

If this is 10 years before TOS, that means that if they ever run into the Enterprise it'll be Pike in command. Or maybe even April. :)

sunspot42 and wayne66 like this.
  7. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Or Kirk on the Farragut.McCoy and Scotty as well. It opens up some interesting possibilities. I like the idea that the Discovery helps Kirk and the Farragut after the incident with the cloud creature that killed half the Farragut's crew along with Kirks first Captain, Captain Garravick. I just watched the episode Obsession again and I think that is a good story that they could use.

Rubber65 likes this.
  8. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I've seen these. Pretty good stories and how they tie in with the rest of the star trek chronology. I hope that the writer's will take into account all that is canon and reinvent history as they go along.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Don't let the title fool you. EC Henry makes some very good points.

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I think there are some good points here, I hope it does address some of today's issues. After all, Red Shirts Matter.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I agree. Basically, from what I've heard so far this is shaping up to be what Enterprise should have been had it not been done by the TNG show runners (and the TNG mind set).

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

For those who don't enjoy watching commercials (who does?), CBS-AA has some good news! For nearly double the first announced monthly price of subscription, you will be able to watch ST DISCO with no commercials. Hurrah!

"August 31, 2016 – CBS Corporation today announced the launch of a commercial-free plan for the CBS All Access subscription service. In addition to the existing subscription offering of $5.99/month, subscribers now have the option to watch CBS All Access’s on-demand content commercial-free for $9.99/month".

CBS All Access Launches ‘Ad-Free’ Subscription Option | TrekCore Blog »

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So they finally decided to learn from Netflix.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except that the two services aren't nearly as comparable. Netflix is a far better value proposition and much more streamlined. CBS should have started with a lower no-ad tier, at least until they become more established.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

CBS become more established? CBS has been the quality television network for over a half a century!

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Netflix doesn't have an ad tier, do they?

With most shows, Netflix releases every episode at the same time, whereas CBS is releasing one episode a week, forcing subscribers who want to watch the episodes as they're released to subscribe for 13 weeks.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

We're talking about CBS All Access, the streaming platform.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Is there anything to stop someone subscribing after the series has ended (or on the last week) and watching all 13 eps in one month?

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Not that I know of, but they're probably counting on Star Trek fans jumping aboard for the new series and don't want them binge watching and immediately jumping ship. I'll probably wind up subscribing for the 4 months. One episode will carry over into the fourth month.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm sure that's what they're counting on. On the other hand, since the show is supposed to be heavily serialized (rather than episodic), then the binge watching model would be preferable, as it will play like a long movie and you get better continuity/retention than having to wait for weekly installments. Still, I suspect most fans won't be disciplined enough to wait! :)

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, but isn't it carrying all of CBS' current shows as well as many of their classics?

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think so. From the article I linked to before:

"With the commercial-free plan, subscribers will be able to watch CBS All Access’s on-demand library of more than 7,500 episodes, including full current seasons of primetime hits like BIG BROTHER, BLUE BLOODS, MADAM SECRETARY and THE ODD COUPLE among many others, as well as late night, daytime and news programming".

But my earlier point about being well established was related to the streaming platform itself, not the content. The service implementation and UI/features had been pretty shoddy in the past - nowhere near as slick as Netflix. I imagine they will be addressing these issues for the big launch.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Bryan Fuller Reveals “Balance of Terror” is “Touchstone” of Discovery Story
    [​IMG]

| SEPTEMBER 9, 2016 | BY: JOHN DUCHAK 59 COMMENTS SO FAR

Star Trek: Discovery executive producer and showrunner Bryan Fuller tweeted yesterday that a favorite episode from The Original Series, “Balance of Terror,” is a “touchstone” for DSC’s story arc.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

“Balance of Terror” is the famous TOS episode from the first season that first introduced the Romulans. In the episode, it is noted that the Earth-Romulan conflict occurred a century before 2265. The war had been waged with atomic weapons and the treaty, which was formalized over subspace radio, ending the war established the neutral zone.

[​IMG]

Spock stated that entry into the neutral zone would be considered an act of war and that the treaty had been unbroken until that time. Kirk claimed that, after a whole century, no one would know what a Romulan ship looked like. However, Lieutenant Stiles pointed out that they are painted like a giant bird of prey.

The episode was based on classic submarine films such as The Enemy Below and Run Silent, Run Deep where Kirk and the Romulan Commander play a cat-and-mouse game that results in the Romulan ship’s destruction.

Speculation

Since Fuller referred to “Balance of Terror” as a “touchstone” for DSC, it is possible that the episode will provide a standard for which the show’s story arc will follow: perhaps one of tense conflict with an adversary.

Alternatively, as “Balance of Terror” provides no reason for the Romulan Bird of Prey’s attack on Earth outposts along the neutral zone, could a covert conflict between Starfleet and the Romulan Empire have occurred in 2255? One that Starfleet officers ten years later would not be aware of as it could jeopardize the peace treaty?

Let us know what you think of Fuller’s statement in the comments. What does this portend for DSC’s story arc?
    Bryan Fuller Reveals “Balance of Terror” is “Touchstone” of Discovery Story »

Deesky likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I like this. This to me signals a narrative take that's closer in tone to DS9 than any other series, especially since we already know about the serialized nature of the show (again, paralleling the extended DS9 story arcs revolving around the Dominion threat). If it's going to be a tactical, battle of wits and improvisations story (rather than a cartoonish villain with lots of 'splosions), then I'm all for it.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident