New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I came across a commenter at trekcore who claims to have some inside knowledge on what DISCO will be about. Now, this poster has had some push-back over time about his claimed 'inside' knowledge, so take it was a grain of salt - it could be total BS. Nevertheless, I actually find it to be a fascinating narrative.

Here is what he posted - don't read if you don't want to be 'spoiled':

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

The guy who just left strongly hinted that Section 31 was the focus of the show if you know the complete history of the show and section 31.

He said there were certain "elements and sections" of Star Trek that fascinated him that he wanted to explore.

I have someone who is close to a person who is close to the show on a mid-level, and this is what I am getting. In specific I hear we will find out much about section 31's involvement in the Romulan war ( and how Earth and its allies would have lost without extremely ethically questionable actions by section 31 )

There is going to be canon mention of Captain Archer's involvement during the Romulan war with get this POSSIBLE guest star flashbacks. Apparently there are some big Manny Coto fans who wanted season 5.

They want to connect the time of Archer to the time that Discovery takes place. There will be scenes of space battles during the Romulan war and they will finally explain why McCoy said nukes were used during that war.

What he was referencing was an atrocity carried out by section 31 using nukes and we will get to see graphically what 31 did to the Romulans and why exactly they vanished for so long.

The Lt. Is the focus because the Lt. has personal tragedy in her family and during the show fights between federation ethics and 31's ability to get things done.

The title "Discovery" has a dual meaning I am told. The Discovery of space, and the Discovery by the Federation regarding section 31.

The Captain played by Yeoh is assigned with her ship to Discover everything she can regarding section 31 and thus keeps coming into contact with U.S.S Discovery. The Captain of Discovery is completely clueless regarding the 31 activity on the ship. That's why the focus is on the Lt.

The Lt. Is high enough on the ship to influence things and feed info to 31, but is not a Starfleet Captain as 31 can't and never will trust them.

The recurring Klingon Captain is also investigating the rumored Federation covert group as the Klingons have long suspected that the Federation is a "Two fanged serpent" The reason why the guy who did Star Trek 6 was brought in was for the Klingon element to tie it into Undiscovered Country eventually.

This is everything I have been told so far.

wayne66 likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only news. CBS announced that the series has been delayed once again and it won't be starting in May (delayed from January). No new projected date has been announced yet.

I must say that this whole production has been a complete schnozzle! I doubt it could have been handled any worse, from delays in debut, to changing showrunners, slow casting, a poor promotional teaser, to the method of delivery (CBS crappy streaming service).

Combine all that with an underwhelming prequel time-frame and the likely non-episodic narrative and...well, I'm seriously reaching the "don't care" anymore stage...

‘Sarek’ Cast as DISCOVERY Moves Off May Schedule | TrekCore Blog »

Rubber65 and sunspot42 like this.
  5. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

The delay doesn't really bother me. Apparently it's just because the lead actress will be filming The Walking Dead until April.

The fact that it's another prequel does not excite me, though. I'd prefer something set after TNG/DS9/Voyager.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And now we have a leaked on-set photo depicting some aliens. Speculation is, are they 'reimagined' Klingons? Hope not.

[​IMG]

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Honestly, if they are Klingons, I don't understand what the problem would be. The Klingons have already been reimagined. Just as the TNG era production values moved beyond those of the TOS era, the DSC era production values have moved beyond those of the TNG era. Visually, the TNG era is outdated. Time to move on. If the writing rises to a level that you're happy with, I just don't see what difference it would make what the Klingons look like.

9. Well it's not like the humans don't look different. Oh wait. ;)

That's a fairly radical change. We're going to need an episode to explain why they look different just like they did for "Enterprise".

Encuentro likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

There are rumors going around that these are ancient Klingons, somehow involved with some sort of sarcophagus ship. Not sure if it's a flashback or what though.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Speaking of ancient Klingons, I just watched TNG episode 7x19 Genesis (which is pretty terrible) and they had Worf de-evolve into a an ancient, ancestral form (as did the other crew members). He looked nothing like the Klingons in the DISCO image - he looked more like a deranged warthog/hyena hybrid! I guess it depends on how far back you go, but still, I wish they'd leave the basic look of the now established alien species alone.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So said Trekkies in 1979, no doubt. :p

The_Windmill and Encuentro like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt it. For an alien species from TOS days, the Klingons were indistinguishable from humans. A change to make them look more alien and fierce is understandable. The TOS series is an old, legacy show (despite every man and his dog trying to resurrect or redo it) which has been updated over many years and in different TV series, while managing to keep appearances relatively consistent.

I don't know how the Disco Klingons will be used or what, if any, explanation will be given for their changed appearance (which is another pitfall of revisiting the legacy timeline). I only hope it isn't change for change's sake. I guess we'll see, eventually...

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Worf explains it here.... Without explaining it:

16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

But what exactly is the "basic look of the now established alien species?" I mean, regarding the klingons, their look has fluctuated so much over the years, I wouldn't expect them not to change again. Their look has changed not only from series to series, but even throughout the duration of a single series. Using perhaps the most famous klingon of the ST universe, Worf, his look has evolved significantly from his first appearance in TNG through the last season and into DS9. And Michael Dorn's klingon look (non-Worf role) in ST VI was another departure. And the klingons of ST ENT in particular were significantly different looking from those of TNG and DS9. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the most recent klingon look technically is, but for me anyway, regardless of the smoothness of the forehead or other features, a klingon is still easily identifiable.

The alien evolution is just an ongoing, ever-changing process within the ST Universe. I would expect alien species that we have met over the duration of ST to have somewhat altered features than we may be anticipating in this new series, just as I'm prepared for it in any new ST incarnation.

In reference to the aliens in that picture, despite the caption and internet hearsay, I'm highly dubious they are klingon. Whether klingons have been shown with smooth foreheads, wrinkled ones, ridged ones, et cetera, they have always maintained a similar look, from their first appearance and on. These aliens do not look klingon to me, with the complete lack of hair and the spiky spine going down the backs of their heads and necks, but you never know.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't believe that they're Klingons.

18. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I think it's all going to come down to whether they can come up with a compelling story arc. With Nicholas Meyer having something to do with it, I am cautiously optimistic.

GeoffC likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The latest news drip reveals who will be playing the captain (though not a primary focus). British actor Jason Isaacs will play Discovery's Captain Lorca.

Also newcomer Mary Wiseman joins the series as Tilly, a Starfleet Academy cadet in her final year of schooling, assigned for field studies aboard the Discovery.

Jason Isaacs is the USS DISCOVERY’s Captain Lorca | TrekCore Blog

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Is the production of Star Trek Discovery one giant cockup? Over time, as production kept slipping and the premier date kept getting pushed back, as the original showrunner departed, first partly, then wholly, as casting and start of filming were delayed, etc, I started to get a bad feeling about this.

Recently, I came across this video which nicely sums up the troubles in one place. It covers what's known and what's industry rumor based on insider comments. They take pains to distinguish fact from rumor in the video, but many of the rumors do seem plausible to me. Judge for yourself:

The rumors I wasn't aware of include the following. Fuller was fired due to Moonve's micromanaging and his differing vision of how 'sexed' up the new show should be; the original script was shredded to be more Kelvin like with trans-dimensional travel, but still set in the Prime universe; the ship designs and alien designs were so out there that it was feared the fans would revolt and they couldn't give away the merchandising; they fired the original vfx company as a result; some actors wanting out; Netflix, which has pretty much financed the whole project from the beginning wants it's money back!

Boy, if even half of those rumors are true or have some truth to them, then if the show ever makes it to air, it might need to be retitled Star Trek Disaster! :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This has "bomb" written all over it.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

No, it doesn't. It has nothing written all over it. You haven't seen a single clip. Hyper-criticism would be a massive understatement.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

As for it being a Bomb, I dont think so. Trekees will make this a viable show.

But if that other video about all the problems is correct, they have a long way to go.

That one "new" design they showed of the Ship, (the one that wasnt round) was pretty ugly.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Do the production delays on this series surprise anyone?

I remember reading about ST:VOY being conceptualized when I was in college (I graduated in 1992). The pilot episode was broadcast in January 1995.

Anyone who thought this was going to go from conceptualization to broadcast in less than a few years with no other Star Trek TV series in current production needs their pointy eared heads examined.

Encuentro likes this.