New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think they can or want to do that. Netflix has already paid for the show more or less and they have global distribution rights. It will get done, but what we'll end up getting is anyone's guess, especially since they're changing the episodic nature of the show with only a small number of eps per season (another mistake IMO).

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, I don't know about the small number of episodes per-season being a mistake. I thought the Galactica reboot was at its best when they were doing, what, 13 episodes per-season. When they tried to go beyond that the scripts suffered immensely.

Even on TOS, TNG and DS9, they only put out 13 good episodes a season, tops. The remainder were either filler or just plain awful.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes (though I would say much more than 13 good eps in the best seasons), but al least it gave you the option of enjoying a selection of self-contained stories or episodes which were better than the rest. Here, if you don't like the basic story, you're essentially stuck with it for the entire season (or more).

Also, in terms of re-watchability over the years, a smorgasbord of different stories is more enjoyable, without a long time investment and you can watch them at random (except for two parters).

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

As first images go it's a bit underwhelming... but good to see regardless :D

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

According to the article, there is some kind of video coming later today.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

8. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Meng likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

For those that prefer Youtube:

dkmonroe, Meng and Encuentro like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think I spied a child Spock in the trailer. I'm pretty sure the ship we saw near the beginning of the trailer is not the Discovery but the Shenhzou.

12. BeatleJWOL

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Somewhere, Genvieve Bujold is slogging through her house, half-finished bottle of Patron at her side, mumbling, "I would have accccccced that parrrrrrrtt..."

Meng and sunspot42 like this.
  14. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My mother taught me to remain silent if I had nothing nice to say...

Deesky likes this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Is this set in the "Prime" universe or the "Alternate" universe of the current movies?

The aesthetics indicate the latter, including the Abrams flair for flare!

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Prime universe. The aesthetics are contemporary. The visual aesthetics of previous series would look ridiculously dated by today's television standards.

17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The bridge aesthetics look right out of 2009! ;-)

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm okay with that. I know that many Star Trek fans don't like the new films, but I'm a fan. However, many of the newer films' critics have a problem with the blockbuster action style of the films. I don't think that will be a problem for them with the new series. The films were released every 3 to 4 years and were released during the blockbuster summer season, whereas the series will have approximately 15 hour-long episodes to develop the story and characters. A long-running series and a blockbuster summer film are two different animals.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about that. Going by the trailer, it looks like they're trying to replicate a feature film in style/aesthetics, including a gritty long-form narrative, ie, an extended, 15 hour movie. I've got reservations.

20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It really all depends on the story and if it draws people in, the rest i am totally flexible on. Nice to see women in some major roles, that's a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Encuentro likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It certainly looks pretty cinematic, which isn't a bad thing. They're clearly spending a lot of money on it. Some of the dialog seemed a bit daffy.

It doesn't look like a complete trainwreck, anyhow. That's something.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

it looks like a sci-fi show ..but not particularly Star Trek - if its adventure-of-the-week - I might try it - if its some long story-arc - I don't have time for any more of those right now.......

Deesky likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what it feels like to me. It has too much of a JJ Kelvin, generic scifi vibe to it for my liking. At least they have a Deanna Troi "I'm sensing...death" type alien on board! :rolleyes:

24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

me too, although it said "10 years before Kirk, etc". Seems to be a bit off, but I only watched the trailer once.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I can't speak for anyone else, but one of the annoyances of being a STAR TREK fan all along has been the unwillingness of anyone - ever - to simply acknowledge the earlier series by attempting to recreate its aesthetics.

I still marvel, every time I see a classic TOS episode, particularly now on Blu-ray and high-definition media, the amazingly gorgeous colors that was certainly an attractant back in the '60s and '70s. And yet, the first thing that Robert Wise and Company did with the first Motion Picture was strip away all of that color and beauty and made the whole think look as bland as a sandstorm. By the second movie, all of the uniforms were red-colored, but the ship itself was still pretty bland.

Then came THE NEXT GENERATION and some color was restored to the uniforms, but even then, they were muted a bit, and the overall look of the ship was still pretty bland. Realistic? Perhaps, but still bland. DEEP SPACE NINE was intentionally dark and dank looking. VOYAGER returned to the bland look of TNG somewhat, and then we got to ENTERPRISE.

Here, I finally thought, in a prequel, would be where the look of TOS would make its triumphant return. And what did we get? A ship that looked far more advanced than NCC-1701, and uniforms that looked like jumpsuits, all dark bluish-purple and not terribly attractive.

The Kelvin movies brightened things up a good bit (maybe too much!), and got the uniform colors fairly correct, still a little muted, but with all the lens flaring and running and jumping, we've hardly ever had a moment to just admire it.

Now we're looking at only ten years before Kirk. As I recall, Spock supposedly spent 12 years with Captain Pike on the Enterprise, so I think they are already muck with the timeline to attempt to retro-fit it. The uniforms are all blue with silver trim (silver? really? someone find some old Irwin Allen stuff in storage?).

Ok, I can maybe buy the fact that the ENTERPRISE blue jump suits have given way to the new blue uniforms, but really, it's been over 50 years now. Will anyone EVER attempt to once again give us the gorgeous look of the sixties series? I could even accept more modern-looking equipment - just make it look pretty.

Does anyone recall the two episodes of latter-day Trek that attempted TOS looks? "Relics" on TNG had Scotty returning to a holodeck-created NCC-1701 bridge. And on DS9, they did the "Trials and Tribblations" episode with the DS9 crew interacting with Kirk & Co. back at the time of the classic Tribble episode. Both looked amazing, and I'm sure fans ate it up. I know I did. And the web continuation episodes produced also look amazing.

I fully understand that the old look of TOS was the way it was because NBC demanded it in order to sell color TVs. It's still striking though!

Just some random thoughts from a longtime fan upon the viewing of the first-look trailer for the new series.

dkmonroe and wayne66 like this.