New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Again, I think that's the bridge of the Discovery, not the bridge of the Shenzou. We haven't even seen the Discovery interior yet.

Higlander likes this.
  2. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Watched both Episodes on Netflix(UK) last night and was gripped!! For Me it was a pretty good start, will watch again(missus fell asleep as she does) 1st current series of anything that I caught and I'm wanting to watch the next Episode NOW!! just hope they build on it and it gets a fair run..

3. The effects looked cheap and rushed, we watched two different shows then.

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I don't think this new series is targeted at traditional Star Trek fans (is the word 'Trekkie' still used?). The last Trek tv series aired in 2005. This series is geared for a younger demographic of people who never saw a Trek tv series in its original run or who only have vague recollections of doing so.

Regarding the two part series opening: I thought the writing was poor, especially much of the dialogue. There were also, in my mind, questionable situations and character behaviour, even within the internal logic of the story - especially the lead, Michael, and her surrogate mother/ Captain Georgiou. And as someone who has been raised by Vulcans for most of her life and has assumed the Vulcan culture and code of behaviour, Michael's behaviour reverts to self-indulgent, emotionally immature, badly behaved 'human' quite quickly. Sarek, as well, in particular was inconsistent with the established character - although I doubt if the studio or show runners care.

A side note: something that has always bothered me is that Vulcans are suppose to have conquered their emotions and adopted a strict intellectual and behavioural code based solely upon logic, rationality and reason. Their entire society is suppose to be based upon this. However, Vulcans are always displaying and acting upon their emotions. This happens routinely in every series and movie. It's one of the great false premises of the franchise.

GeoffC, turnersmemo and Blimpboy like this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That's what killed Enterprise for me. Season 3 just drug on and on....

Pete Sorbi likes this.
  6. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I can well understand that to one person the visual effects look cheap and to another person stunning. To me, one of the thrills of watching classic sci-fi is first seeing the work put into models (the only reason for me to see something like the original Star Trek movie), and then the development of computer graphics from rudimentary to plausible. Nowadays, anything is possible with computer graphics with computation capacity at where it is. But at the same time, it looks, to me, insubstantial, no matter what. There's more weight to models. Now you need to impress me with the basic substance of visual storytelling, writing and acting, all the more.

As I implied earlier, it all comes down to interplay. What an amazing ensemble they had on The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine! Those shows would have fallen flat with lesser actors. The fact that they went on for years, gave characters like Data or the Ferengi in the latter room to develop from simply quirky into some of my favourites, and also to defy their background and provenance as calculating artificial intelligence (Data) or latinum-grabbing capitalists (the Ferengi). It is also true that you need to get the set right! The Enterprise or the Deep Space Nine are familiar and dear to fans of those shows.

Although Discovery is out of necessity aiming at new audiences, it has a lot to live up to, and what we've seen so far is really nothing to base judgment on. Still, I like the Michael Burnham character and the actor. She is inconsistent as a Vulcan, yes, but interesting as a human. Let's see where it goes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    The Revealer and CrazyCatz like this.
  7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017
  8. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Whoah. I read this thread and then had to go check out those Klingons which I did last night. Man, their bobbling heads reminded me of the evil red aliens in Buckaroo Banzai. Other than that, I'd give it a B+, a good score given the weight of expectations that goes with the Star Trek name. My wife wasn't as thrilled and wanted to switch over to more man-candy that is The Last Ship.

[​IMG]

Vidiot and CrazyCatz like this.
  9. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

10. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Thought it looked good but a bit stilted and wooden in the acting and writing departments. Early days though...

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The Fed props are my favorite part so far:

Tricorder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. tomunbound

tomunbound Active Member

I've said before, and I'll say it again. (Can y'all handle a different opinion ??)
    Well, hate to go against the grain, but I liked it ! Plook 'the cannon' BS, I've never been that much of a nerd to let it bother me. Yes, I saw TOS in it's first run, but it's been downhill ever since then. Deep Stain 9, Bacula's Enterprise, etc. I jumped ship long ago. But the new series shows a lot of potential. The Klingon story arc is just starting ! Special effects are over the top....but, sorry, that's not a bad thing. Try to enjoy the eye candy, that's what it is and that's what it's for. Its something called 'entertainment'. That's what Hollywood and TV does. It's not War And Peace or a religion. Sheesh ! As Shatner says, "Get a life, people". (Where's that Youtube clip?)
    Quite a varied group of characters, and character development is just starting. I like the conflict between the captain and the first O, but, hey, that's over now ! They're not afraid to kill off crewmembers ! (Was she wearing a red shirt/uniform? LOL !) The 14 different Klingon 'clans' looks like there's more conflict to come too. I'll keep watching, lots of action/storylines to come.

And , of course, this is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.......and now, back to YOUR opinion.....

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Communicator

[​IMG]

Phaser

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Speaking for everyone in the entire universe, no, we cannot handle a different opinion. Please see yourself out. :laugh:

15. Well the first season of ST:TNG was badly written but it survived and improved.

lambfan68 and sunspot42 like this.
  16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Not surprisingly, they don't actual mention how many sign-ups they got. It would be a pretty big blow if they *didn't* get the largest single-day number of sign-ups, as this is the first prestige show of this level that they've made exclusive to the service, and they basically got an hour-long commercial for the service.

There's little question that this show will see less viewers on CBS All-Access than it would airing on the actual network.

I know, this debate has been going on since they announced the show would be exclusive to the service over a year ago (is it closer to two years now?). But it was interesting to actually see the first episode on CBS and kind of get a full sense of how they're pushing sign-ups based on the quality of the pilot.

I thought the pilot was a mixed bag (at best), but to me it was a textbook example of as how that I'd *definitely* watch a second episode of on CBS, but that I definitely *wouldn't* rush out to pay for another subscription in order to watch.

The Revealer likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Is this the Apple iPhone 10?

HGN2001, EwaWoowa and CrazyCatz like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All being shot in 4K and HDR. Everything shows in those formats.

That's not what I saw. I thought the VFX were extraordinary for TV, given their available budget and schedule.

19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

My estimation of the show went up with the second part. The episodes seem terribly short though - they aren't an hour, are they? Looks like the second episode was only 41 minutes long. So basically a half hour show with some extra. If these were 60 minute episodes, the subscription option might be more appealing.

But I will wait. If the episodes were on sale on iTunes for a couple bucks each I'd easily buy them though.

Oh hey, it is the sadistic doctor from Brit Marling's tv show! I guess that means his character didn't make it to season 2.

ggergm likes this.
  20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The premise - and it is a great one - is that the Vulcans are as wrong to act only on logic as Humans are wrong to act only on emotion. That said, not ever moment when a Vulcan acts on emotion is intended to show that a middle way is best - sometimes it was just sloppy writing.

And it must not be overlooked that the whole reason why Vulcan society is based on logic is because they are by nature extremely emotional - more than humans. And the Romulans (who are related to Vulcans) were supposed to be the side of the family that indulged their darker emotions... though this never translated well to a G rated tv series. But Romulans done right would put Rome to shame.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’m a long time Trekkie, dating back to the original series. I remember the excitement building up to ST:TMP in 1979 and ST:TNG in 1987. In both cases, things got better. The coming episodes look more like Star Trek to me and I’m hoping that they are a success.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh man! The COMMERCIALS in that first episode! It was like they were never gonna end! :laugh: If they showed an uncut episode of TOS on CBS it would need a two-hour time slot.
    I agree with Jack White that the Vulcan dynamic of logic/emotion has always been rather poorly and borderline hypocritically portrayed. Basically the only emotions that Vulcans are really reluctant to display are positive emotions such as warmth and compassion. They're always very quick to get pissed off, be sarcastic, be snobs, etc. Spock gets seriously pissy, albeit often in a subtle way, in almost every episode of the original series. Now one may say, "Oh, he's half human", but when you see full-blooded Vulcans in any of the series or movies, they are the most unbearable snobs, it's hard to take them seriously. The Vulcans in the first Jack Abrams movie are such bigoted jackasses. And lest TOS get off easy, T'Pring's sadistic challenge in "Amok Time" is only "flawlessly logical" if one is a sociopath. I just imagine that writing a truly logic-based character is either just too hard or makes for bad drama, so they have to work it in very superficially.

Pete Puma and Stratoblaster like this.
  23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

What I find strange is fan based movies based 20th century series...
    Is a lot better than this..

24. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Thought I would really hate it, really liked it. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Lonson likes this.
  25. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

The problem with alien races in science fiction is that an entire race is portrayed to have the same personality and beliefs with very little personal deviation. This is so they can be a metaphor for specific human behavior. It is, however, a form of racial stereotyping that most writers seem to ignore. Why would an entire race have the same personality based on genetics? It's the nature vs nurture argument. If Worf was raised on Earth my human parents, we should not presume he will be a violent person due to his Klingon genetics. Spock's human half should not have been a factor in his dealing with emotions as Vulcans have them as well. He would have the same struggle as any child growing up in that culture, no matter who his mother was. Same with Belanna on Voyager fighting her Klingon side. Everyone freak out when Sybok laughed in Star Trek V. At least they dared to show all Vulcans are not the same. Some are better at suppressing emotions and some don't give a damn. That's more like reality.