New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Jason Isaacs is easily on the same level as Patrick Stewart

Of the rest of the cast I have no complaints. I'm surprised by how much I like Sonequa Martin-Green - she was pretty much a non-entity on Walking Dead, and despite my initial dislike for his character, Anthony Rapp is growing on me as well. I did dig the La bohème reference in the recent episode. Can't wait for the musical episode that they teased in one of the post-show After Trek episodes.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

er...he's not a guy with a "major accent" so you are probably good to go.

BZync and sunspot42 like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If he is young Sarek, I didn't like his portrayal. Sounded quite un-Vulcan to me, actually. His voice and inflections feel wrong.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Jason Issacs plays Captain Lorca, and he is easily on par with Patrick Stewart.

5. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I really liked M-G's character on TWD, but I grew fatigued and stopped watching before she left. I also like her in this show. She's very attractive, and a good actor, too. I do agree w/ the reviewer (on Trekmovie.com, I think) that she sounds awkward spouting Treknobabble, but many actors do.

Isaacs is excellent, too.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

If you have an affinity for TNG, you may want to check out The Orville. I initially disregarded it as nothing more than a Seth McFarlane spoof vehicle, but am pleased I gave it a second chance. It is closer in themes and tone to TNG than I expected. A bit more humor, perhaps, but as the season has progressed, I would actually give it more credit than Discovery for the topics and themes explored.
    No Patrick Stewart or Brent Spiner, but I'll raise you an episode featuring Charleze Theron ;)

Definitely an apples and oranges comparison, but I am enjoying both productions.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was just trying to save you from the torture of watching a TV show that you're pre-disposed to dislike. Watching a show that you dislike seems to me to be an exercise in futility. But to then do so, and come on here and complain about it seems like a waste of your time - and ours.

I have no problem reading criticisms of shows, movies, albums that I like. I welcome opposing opinions. But your earlier statement showed a predilection towards disliking it.

Personally, I dislike a lot of things - don't bother to waste my time on them - and generally wouldn't think of going into a thread about them.

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Ye gods, no.

Ronald Moore once threatened to do this on DS9 - fortunately wiser heads prevailed.

The_Windmill likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There were sort of musical eps in the Vic Fontaine holosuite...

David Campbell likes this.
  11. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yes, but Moore was talking about doing something akin to Buffy's Once More, With Feeling.

Besides which, the Fontaine stuff was part of the "real world" (for want of a better way of expressing it) aspect of those eps., and didn't move into the realm of musical fantasy.

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Doug Jones is epic too! As soon as I heard he signed on..gold!

Meng and Encuentro like this.
  13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Agreed.

It's a very strong ensemble cast imo.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. HGN2001

...based on a trailer. :rolleyes:

15. Strat-Mangler

Perfectly fine. A trailer is there to promote and show the best pieces for the material that is (about to be) released. If the trailer and its presentation of that material fails to make me curious or interested, I won't bother watching. Makes perfect sense and is exactly the reason trailers exist to begin with.

16. HGN2001

To some, I suppose. :crazy:

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

You watch movies and TV shows you see the advertisements of that you find look boring or uninteresting?

Put your snark on pause for a second (if that's possible) and answer my question truthfully.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  18. HGN2001

No snark. I usually ignore trailers and watch films and TV shows that I think I would find interesting. I judge them by watching the actual product - not by their trailers, which are designed to hype things to generate interest.

You have judged an entire production (series) on some trailers and seem to have serious issues with voices and accents. It's refreshing for me to hear Michelle Yeoh's natural accent rather than having her attempt to cover it up. And very few actors have a voice like Mark Lenard, so don't be looking for anyone to attempt a recreation. He's gone.

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Can someone change thread title to include Discovery?

21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

22. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Back on Netflix on Monday 8th this side of the pond :) Really Enjoying this Trek.

23. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

24. HGN2001

And it woukd appear that fan guesses were pretty on-target.

aarsonbet, CrazyCatz and Encuentro like this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Great episode. So glad it’s back.

CrazyCatz and Encuentro like this.