New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't share your disdain for TNG at all, but I do find most Lwaxana episodes trying. Nevertheless, there have been a few Lwaxana episodes that were excellent, like Half A Life in TNG and DS9's The Forsaken.

2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Now that season one is complete, I am going to renew CSC All Access (for a month) and binge watch it. IMHO CBS is ripping us off as are many other streaming companies.

This model that HBO, Starz, Disney, CBS, etc. is just a money grab that I hope fails. How much video will anyone watch if each of these providers charges? Will they eventually supersede Netflix or Amazon? Well, I guess I know the answers... I know of one person whose cable bill is around $500.00 per month, uses Amazon Prime video, Hulu and Netflix AND pays again for HBO on Amazon. Sorry about the rant :realmad:.

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Lwaxana episodes are fine by me as we get to share a little more time with the wonderful Majel Barrett! Just watched her as the excellent Number 1 last night in The Cage. Part of me always wishes that they would have made a series with that original pilot cast and characters. I like basically all of them.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Half A Life" is one of TNG's better episodes, period.

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

My wife and I just finished the season finale'. We both think Discovery is wonderful. I'm wondering who the new captain is going to be? Gotta be someone from the TOS; anyone care to speculate? Also loved
    Raine Wilson as Harry Mudd.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. robertawillisjr

Just watched 6 episodes. I was only going to watch 2 BUT somehow... Very good program.

7. Dr. Pepper

If I add up everything you just mentioned it's under $40 a month or just under $500 per year. I get all that plus Internet and local channels for around $100 per month.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

now I have to see this!

9. Dr. Pepper

Yes, yes you really do. Most complex, longest, and interesting Trek story arc ever!

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

thanks!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

The production value is insane!

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

that's excellent!

13. Dr. Pepper

The second episode is probably the most expensive looking hour of television that I have ever seen.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

as expected considering...your enthusiasm is making me really interested in seeing this..

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This first season was quite a ride with a lot of ups and downs - and a lot of fun. It was hard to wait a full week between episodes.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just love how they decided not to play safe all the time.

At this point I really don't care how much precious 'lore' they decide to dump or trash as long as the ride stays as exciting as it's been so far.

As long as after say 6 seasons they don't end it cutting away to a very old Cmd. Riker saying "And there you go Cadets, as you see from this simulation that's what happens if you don't have rules!"

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Clear your mind and just watch it already....:wantsome:

;)

Encuentro likes this.
  18. HGN2001

If you opt for CBS All-Access here in the States, be sure to go for the $9.99 commercial-free option. It's worth it.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Yep, you should be able to binge it in a month then drop it. It's definitely worth you 10 bucks. I also think they have a 7 day free trial that might work if you are a fast binger.

Encuentro and robertawillisjr like this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Red Letter Media's sum up of the season.

I don't agree with them fully but still a fun watch. Interesting to see if their predictions for season 2 at the end pan out.

Star Trek Discovery Season 1 - re:View

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Disagree, personally. I'm not buying All Access for anything but Discovery. That's just me though.

The fact that Amazon has the $9.99 version as one of their available channels (like HBO, for instance) is neat tho. I hear the streaming quality is better there.

I watched Discovery first-run and am now happy to wait for the Blu-rays.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That said, I just went to All Access to cancel my 5.99 subscription and they gave me a free month; next billing date is not until April.

Sure, why not.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

24. robertawillisjr

The only reason I bought the All Access option was for Discovery. I bought it after the season ended, watched all episodes and then cancelled it. I am not a fan of this emerging model that the studios are adopting.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. HGN2001

It's nice that STAR TREK: DISCOVERY got some Saturn Award nominations, but one has to wonder how significant it could be given that Seth MacFarlane was included in the acting nominees. I could understand him getting a nomination in the ORVILLE series production nominations, but acting? Really? Seth MacFarlane?