New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Bryan Singer's idea of a crumbling Federation is a possibility. It hasn't been explored in Trek yet.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

One thing they haven't explored much is how regular people live in the Trek version of the future. People on a planet, either at home on Earth, or frontier people settling a new planet. I suppose DS9 came close to that in that there was a fixed home base on a space station.

I guess it would be hard to make that interesting, it'd just be a regular drama with transporters, fancy communications and sliding doors...

3. I haven't read this entire thread, so please forgive me if my question has already been answered:

Will the new series follow the alternate continuity of the reboot film series (where Spock is the only surviving Vulcan, etc.), or the TOS/TAS/TOS movies/TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise timeline?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

By that measure, there should be no more scifi of any kind ever again. It's all been done before. You're just listing 'events' and objects (aliens - done!). But these are just the furniture in a room. What really matters is what happened in that room. Which agents were involved and what was their motivation. How were things resolved. Storytelling is the key, and stories are inexhaustible.
    That would be bad IMO. I don't get why people think that by going to a different galaxy, everything will be different. Our galaxy is no different than Andromeda or any other galaxy. One bit of space is the same as another (scientifically, the cosmological principle).

People forget how big the galaxy really is. Even in the Trek universe with warp drive, there are still many unexplored sectors. But that's not really the point. It's about the characters and the stories told through those characters that really matter.

Look at DS9. A seemingly boring premise of a static space station located near a planet. No 'boldly going' anywhere, just sitting in place dealing with life on the station and two races with some history. Out of that was born the best Trek series of them all (IMO) by using likable characters, excellent actors and an abundance of incredible scripts.

F_C_FRANKLIN, DPM and Encuentro like this.
  5. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Didn't they try that, with the Battle Star Galactica spin off Caprica. It was a nice, but short lived series, but kind of too dry for my taste. Star Trek, for me has always been the exploration and discovery in space. Don't get me wrong I loved DS9 but even the writers wrote in the Defiant to get the characters out in space.

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'll take DS9 over TNG any day of the week.

7. Egads. I found DS9 dull and boring. Then again, the only of the TV series that I truly liked were TOS and Enterprise.

8. Actually, I liked TAS too! If only the episodes were longer and the animation better!

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

DS9 is truly a treasure in the STAR TREK universe. There were so many well-done stories and story-arcs, particularly from the ending part of Season Two onward. Early episodes were just finding their way with stories that would have been at home on TNG. But once DS9 found its way, it was an excellent series.

Harry

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I loved that show - at least the first (half) season. It had intriguing concepts, environments and plot threads. However, in season 2 (well season 1.5), they didn't seem to know where to take it and started focusing way too much on secondary characters with too much religious mumbo-jumbo prophecies, etc, which totally changed the character of the show (one of the elements that caused me to drop BSG somewhere around start of season 3).

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Any news on this new ST show?

Darryl

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wait a year. :)

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Or at least until after Beyond comes out.

14. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nice! He finally got his gig:
    http://trekmovie.com/2013/10/02/bryan-fuller-on-pitching-a-star-trek-tv-show/

16. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

If someone is going to do Star Trek, they need to quit trying to put Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew into it. Same goes for the other series in the Star Trek coral. If Star Trek is going to be a success, they need to let it grow up. The need a new captain, first officer, and doctor.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Which other official Trek series after the original had tried to put 'Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew into it'?

It's encouraging that Fuller has had some (limited) experience and exposure to DS9 (The Darkness and the Light, Empok Nor - both good episodes), as this is the style of a series I would most welcome. His work on Voyager is mixed - some stinkers, some excellent.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The official announcement made it clear that the new series would feature new characters.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the trek will never end! It's mind boggling.

scobb likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The Trek lives!

Encuentro likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Nothing wrong with this, and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope that they DONT do what the producers of the new "Dallas" did....they totally and completely ruined the franchise by ignoring the history and values of the original show.

You know what would be cool? Kirks grandson and Bones grandson, who have never met, are thrown together by chance on the crew of the Enterprise XX and are drawn to each other. While doing research in the ships Data Center, they discover that their grandparents were crewmates for 30 years.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The real shock is that this is being done just for CBS All Access, which I don't think has been a big success so far. It's $5.99 a month, but I think people are balking at having to pay to see normal over-the-air network shows. But they also provide many thousands of other shows and movies, some of which are also available on Netflix and Amazon and so on.

I would bet they keep the new Star Trek series exclusive to All Access for at least a few months before it trickles to the other services. And in fact, Netflix and Amazon have been fairly closed on their own shows and movies, too. Netflix has done very well with House of Cards and Daredevil, which I think are equal to if not better than anything on HBO, Showtime, and the various networks.

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I (and others) have a series idea that is a no-brainer, and would be quite successful.

A realistic looking Star Trek:The Animated Series

There is enough material to make Years 4 & 5 of the ST:TOS original five year mission

Year 4/Season 4

1. Use ST:TAS vocal tracks to create Year 4. The TAS episodes have 22 1/2 hour episodes. They may be able to expand them a bit, but 1/2 hour episodes would be just fine also. These were written by the original writers. They were voiced by the original actors (except Chekov was not present - he did write an episode).

To accomplish this, they would need to do the following:

a. Completely new top of the line 3D animation
    b. Do not be afraid to create new designs for the alien creatures. ST:TAS is not sacred, and the designs can be much improved upon
    c. Hire new voice actors to do the extra characters. They had James Doohan voice almost all the characters to save money, and the professional voice actors would add variety.
    d. Replace the ST:TAS music (which is terrible - imo) with the fantastic scores from the original series. I have heard there are no multi-tracks for TAS, but with today's technology, they should be able to separate the vocal tracks.

Year 5/Season 5

1. Use the 1990s video game tracks to create season 5, (also voiced by the original actors)
    2. These include (thanks to Wayne66 for this info): "25th anniversary edition (7 episodes), Judgment Rites (8 episodes, possibly 10 since 2 are quite lengthy), and the unreleased Secret of Vulcan Fury. Dorothy Fontana who wrote that story says there were 5 stories to that one, maybe more. Around 22 episodes for the 5th year/season."

You could run a show like this in primetime, and the DVD sales would be high. To quote Wayne66, "It is amazing to me to realize that 2 seasons of original Star Trek is just sitting around gathering dust."

wayne66 and jriems like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Interesting idea, but personally, as a life long fan all Trek series (bar the last one), I would have little interest in watching this.

Who wants to see zombie character analogs of old TOS characters? No, even the top of the line CGI cannot yet render lifelike characters that can cross the Uncanny Valley, not for 42 mins per episode. And to even approach that level of realism, you're looking at big, big bucks (but still not get there in the end).

I want to see new characters in new settings with a different set of problems and relationships, not a retread of what happened some 50 years ago! Time to boldly go...forward.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

By NED EHRBAR CBS NEWS February 11, 2016, 12:34 PM
    Producer Bryan Fuller gives details on CBS' "Star Trek" reboot

CBS' new "Star Trek" series has found its captain, with "Hannibal" and "Wonder Falls" creator Bryan Fuller tapped as showrunner for the recently announced reboot. He will serve as executive producer and co-creator alongside Alex Kurtzman, who has had a hand in writing the most recent "Star Trek" films directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will premiere in January 2017 on CBS proper before moving to the network's new All Access digital service, where it will find its home. The high-profile franchise launch is expected to also serve as a proving ground for the video on-demand service.

"My very first experience of 'Star Trek' is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the 'Star Trek' universe lit my imagination on fire," Fuller said in a statement. "It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of 'Star Trek' with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no 'Star Trek' series has gone before."

Before embarking on creating series of his own including "Dead Like Me" for Showtime and "Pushing Daisies" for ABC, Fuller got his start in television writing stories for the "Star Trek" series "Deep Space Nine" after earning the show's attention through an open script submission program and was soon hired as a staff writer for "Star Trek: Voyager."

Fuller's most recent television success came with the cult favorite "Hannibal," which ran for three seasons on NBC and made him a fixture at Comic-Con. He is also currently working on the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel "American Gods" for Starz.

While writing for the new "Star Trek" series has barely begun, fans are already speculating that Fuller may use the opportunity to make on of his own "Trek"-related dreams come true by casting Angela Bassett at the head of the new crew, a casting choice he mused on in a 2013 interview with Den of Geek -- before the series was ever on the table.

"I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that's who I would love to have," Fuller said at the time. "You know Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show but that's in the future to be told." That future, it seems, could be at hand.

© 2016 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/producer-bryan-fuller-gives-details-on-cbs-star-trek-reboot/