New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thought this thread was about his "NEW" album?

OptimisticGoat and artfromtex like this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The new green tree marble vinyl really goes well with the album art. I am glad I got the more rare "fire" vinyl. I punted on the blue marble. I may get an unsigned green one.

3. artfromtex

The entire Eddie Trunk interview:

Romerovm, LittlePearl and MikeInFla like this.
  4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

If I knew he was going to stop signing at the green I would go for it. Besides, one can never have enough socks.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do find it interesting that Perry has been promoting the narrative that he "left" Journey. In late-1990's, early-2000's, his narrative was that he was building his stamina for touring in Hawaii and suffered a hip injury, and after postponing surgery and unwilling to work, the band fired him. He has not brought any of it up in his recent interviews (even a lengthy interview with a Denver DJ in late-2012) when he talks about how and why he decided to leave the band. Former manager Herbie Herbert stated the hip injury was bogus and insinuated Perry never had any intention to tour behind "Trial By Fire." Perry does make it clear in this interview (and others) that he was burned-out, lost his passion for music, and had to step away. So, is that the real story? Or did Perry realize circa 1998 that in addition to his injury, he was losing passion for music? The guys from Journey allegedly signed agreements not to publicly speak about Perry, so perhaps that is a reason why they never clarified details about the period outside of the heavily edited VH1 Storytellers program. It would be nice to hear some clarification on what really happened.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Why does it matter what happened? Just enjoy the music!

utopiarun likes this.
  7. artfromtex

This has the Target sticker on it, but here is a 1400 x 1400 .jpeg of the new album cover:
    [​IMG]

Carlox and Runicen like this.
  8. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

This is new to me; why would the band do this? ^^^

9. PacificOceanBlue

As a fan, it is interesting. Why do we care about half the stuff we talk about on this forum?

csnfan and thxphotog like this.
  10. artfromtex

Public bickering damages the brand. Smart move by all involved.

LittlePearl and Jimmy Agates like this.
  11. Doggiedogma

So are we supposed to find the song title image(s) on the cover? Because otherwise, that cover makes no sense.

12. artfromtex

The symbolism is biographical.

LittlePearl likes this.
  13. Doggiedogma

Sure, but was there a lawsuit / firing settlement? These kinds of non-disclosure rules are usually in settlement of some kind.

14. PacificOceanBlue

There was a lot of animosity, power-plays, and legal issues during the initial period following Perry's departure. The parties came to a settlement. IIRC, Schon and Cain were allowed to move forward with the name, but they had to pay Perry as if he was still in the band (not sure if it was in perpetuity, but he was paid a portion of their revenues). Perry also retained some creative control (for example, he oversaw all the remasters and the 1981 Houston DVD release). Apparently the guys also signed confidentiality, non-disparagement agreements not to publicly discuss Perry.

15. artfromtex

Neal owns the brand. Once Perry exited, and was aware of their plans to go forward without him, he wanted a piece of all future earnings. He felt that he was a major part of building the value of the brand that they would be trading on. To this day he still gets a cut of every dollar they earn.

LittlePearl and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  16. Doggiedogma

Ok, so there was a Steve Perry departure (so to speak) from Journey settlement - I did not know this. He must have been fired because if he quit, Steve could not demand these terms.

17. PacificOceanBlue

And it was a reasonable, equitable deal. The brand and Journey's intellectual property are valuable, so for Perry to give up his stake, he was entitled to a lucrative settlement. It made sense for Schon because instead of having to finance a big, upfront buyout, he paid Perry a share of the band's ongoing revenues. Certainly there must have been other aspects to the settlement as well.

LittlePearl, krock2009 and artfromtex like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

He was likely fired. Also, he probably did want to step away and have the band lie dormant during his break. The band wanted to work, gave him an ultimatum, and ultimately were forced to terminate him.

krock2009 and Doggiedogma like this.
  19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It may be worth getting the vinyl just to be able to try and decipher all the meaning/messages on the cover. :D

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I agree with this. Great album.

I like the Augeri records too but Revelation was ....um.... a revelation. :)

Jimmy Agates and bru87tr like this.
  21. artfromtex

It is a gatefold too. So what you're seeing is only half the image!

This image is skewed and cropped, but it gives an idea of the overall image.
    [​IMG]

LittlePearl and aroney like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

Haven't really connected with the "No Erasin" single yet. Love the fact that Perry is back with new music, but I find the new single pretty underwhelming, a bit monotone. Hoping the additional material will offer much more.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  23. artfromtex

I didn't connect on the first listen, but it grew on me. Honestly the song is a "6" , but his performance takes it up to an "8" . I am sure he has more "hooky" tunes on the record.

I think "No Erasin'" was chosen because it has a little rock, a little adult-contemporary, a bit of pop. So while it is not a great song, it casts a wide net. The first song was gonna be a big buzz just by being the first new song in 20 years. No need to waste a potential "hit". I expect the next song, "No More Cryin'" (Sept. 5th) , to be something special.

OptimisticGoat, krock2009 and bru87tr like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

I am hoping it is like Van Halen releasing "Tattoo" from "A Different Kind of Truth," which was nowhere near what one would hope for a lead-off single from a long-awaited new album.

25. artfromtex

That is a good example. Although, "Tattoo" made some people I know not even want to buy the album. I think "No Erasin'" , while not great, is benign and won't turn any potential buyers off the way "Tattoo" did.

Here is an uncropped .jpeg of the full album art:
    [​IMG]

LittlePearl and Doggiedogma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.