New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Must Buy

johnny q and bru87tr like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Looking foward to new S.P. album

3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Getting those socks will force me to buy a pair of slippers.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The way Cain/Schon treated Jeff Scott Soto, they're in no position to ever get on their high horse about anything!

LittlePearl and krock2009 like this.
  5. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I see on the deluxe vinyl edition that the song "October in New York" takes up a full side. A potential epic-length song from Steve Perry? Interesting...

6. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Steve Perry the prog epic aspiring prince.

7. rushed again

Looks like he's going all out on this release with all the Merch available.

8. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

It seems like he's doing everything right for this surprising comeback. Social media campaign, new website, performance video, merchandise + album release bundles. I'm wondering if a solo tour is on the horizon? Some of that merchandise (hats, t-shirts, etc.) has got 'tour' written all over them. Hard-core Steve Perry fans must be losing their minds these last couple of days. LOL

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've got to cop to having only a passing awareness of Journey and no knowledge of Perry's solo material (think radio hits only), but just hearing how good he still sounds after so long "inactive" plus how deftly he's working with an older voice makes me want to hear the whole album.

Yes, he's older, but he's working within that parameter and there's nothing about this track that's any less poised and confident than his younger work. Impressive stuff.

10. rushed again

I've really been trying to slim down my music purchases. 2 weeks ago I had no idea I'd be buying a signed new release from Steve Perry and I wouldn't even consider myself hardcore. However, when my family sees me struttin' and sporting those new socks, they will think otherwise. :laugh:

11. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Right on! Sure, there's a lot of age on his voice, but he still sounds good and he can still write a song. Can't wait!

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Sounds great to me! Style would fit right on Street Talk album.

LittlePearl, krock2009 and artfromtex like this.
  13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Yes. We are!! Each new reveal takes a few minutes to sink in as being real. There have been a lot of "rumor swells" over the years and then...NOTHING. To have it all coming together after 22 years is absolutely thrilling.

LittlePearl, Shel, krock2009 and 4 others like this.
  14. rushed again

Wow...did that signed drum head and test press sell out already?

Davidmk5 likes this.
  15. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

16. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Grabbed the unsigned double splatter vinyl. I would’ve grabbed the signed, but I’d just done that with Mike Nesmiths Live at the Troubador album. Had to draw the line somewhere. $$$

Davidmk5, krock2009 and mike catucci like this.
  17. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

This is the best news the music industry had had in 20 years. While I do not expect him to go out and do a 2 hour Journey concert, he sounds great. For all the naysayers who said he could no longer sing, suck it! I can only pray I sound that good and can move that way when I reach 69 years old.

18. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Listening again. Seems to be singing about his rekindled love of music/singing in the song “No Erasin’”. A bit generic sounding for me, but he sounds great and that’s good enough for me. Nice to see him back again. A feel good story in music.

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The song is a little generic. Hopefully there is some better material on the album itself. Glad he is in the spotlight and hitting the streets promoting it. It's the only way you are going to move units these days.

20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks for the update. In this case, the deluxe is probably going to be worth tracking down because Perry has been out of action for so long, acquiring as much new material as possible will be essential.

22. rushed again

There's actually quite a few items now that have already sold out.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I am surprised this thread is only 5 pages long. Either he is not popular here or no one cares. Pretty big news he has a new album.

I don't agree the new song is generic. It is quite good and have heard some other older artists music in the past 20 years that is generic, this is not.

I am very excited to hear him and at 70 think he sounds great. Way better than he has a right to.

24. Both interviews good. That there were some drug problems at some point was not unexpected given his long disappearance between 1986 and 1994 or again from 1998 through about 2010. Sounds quite good on the new song.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  25. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I spun Infinity last Saturday, Evolution yesterday and stumbled upon this thread and news here!
    New song sounds much like what I hoped for, great! Let's hope there's more rockers in the same spirit on the album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.